Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not Sure FSD Is A Good Value @ $15k. Ordered My Model Y In SEP2022 (Est. Del. Date DEC2022).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I ordered my Model Y on 09/20/2022 and selected FSD (for $15k). I am starting to rethink my FSD choice, as I am unsure that it is a good value @ $15k. I have been vigorously watching many of the FSD videos put out by YouTubers, and while, unquestionably, FSD has gotten markedly better in 2022 alone, it still seems obvious that TESLA EV’s will not see the removal of the steering wheel and pedals anytime soon, nor will any of us be making back our FSD “invested bucks“ from the TESLA robo-taxi implementation anytime soon. FSD continues to struggle with road construction signage and direction/orientation amidst cone placement. That said, unless we begin to see more standardization amongst road construction project crews nationwide, then I cannot see how FSD can fully “go live” and rid us of our steering wheels and pedals.

Any thoughts and/or advice on whether or not I should “opt in” to FSD @ $15k??????
No I would not pay $15,000 for a party trick. If it ever comes to fruition and I can no longer drive myself then I'd consider subscribing.

Reactions: THEbuz
Well—the nays have it! I’m persuaded NOT to purchase FSD! Happily sticking with Basic AP.
Thanks for all the input, everyone!
If you have a road trip, I do suggest trying it for a month. $200 and you'll get to play with all the features, including the half working ones.

Its fun, and it will make you glad that you didn't pay $15k for it.

If you have a road trip, I do suggest trying it for a month. $200 and you'll get to play with all the features, including the half working ones.

Its fun, and it will make you glad that you didn't pay $15k for it.
So, how does that work if I do subscribe for only a month? Must I get that ominous 100 score and then await the FSD stack to be downloaded to my Model Y? How long will that take?

• Funny
Reactions: 804son and jsight
Well—the nays have it! I’m persuaded NOT to purchase FSD! Happily sticking with Basic AP.
Thanks for all the input, everyone!
It was more difficult to decide to buy it pre-delivery or post-delivery because there was a monetary penalty for post-delivery.

Now, there's none, and you can even try out as many times as you want as long as you pay a $200 monthly subscription.

Once you are sure you like it during a subscription, you can always buy it.

Many people intend to keep the car until the new car warranty runs out because they don't want to bother with post-warranty expenses.

$15,000 would cover 75 months of a $200 subscription (6.25 years). So it only makes sense if you intend to keep your car that long.

So, how does that work if I do subscribe for only a month? Must I get that ominous 100 score and then await the FSD stack to be downloaded to my Model Y? How long will that take?
I've only done it before fsd beta was available. I think it is available for subscribers, but I don't know how hard it is to get into it. It might take more than a month.

If I try that, I'll likely wait until it is in wider release.

• Disagree
Reactions: MyEarHurts
I think it is worth every penny, it's the main reason I purchased the vehicle. In its current form it makes long drives a breeze and it is fun watching it "learn" and navigate difficult situations it couldn't handle before. But it is beta software, and if one expects it to be a final product right now they shouldn't buy it. It seems many people don't realize just how difficult general ai is, much, much more difficult than the limited abilities of systems like Waymo.

So far it has once saved me from being involved in a multicar accident on the interstate at 80 mph, a result of it being constantly vigilant, something no human driver can do, no matter how superior they feel about their driving skills. It is already safer than a human driver and is getting better with each iteration. I have zero interest in using it to make money as a robotaxi, it will be my personal robotaxi instead.

Disclaimer -- I was a beta tester for both Microsoft and Adobe, so...

I think it is worth every penny, it's the main reason I purchased the vehicle. In its current form it makes long drives a breeze and it is fun watching it "learn" and navigate difficult situations it couldn't handle before. But it is beta software, and if one expects it to be a final product right now they shouldn't buy it. It seems many people don't realize just how difficult general ai is, much, much more difficult than the limited abilities of systems like Waymo.

So far it has once saved me from being involved in a multicar accident on the interstate at 80 mph, a result of it being constantly vigilant, something no human driver can do, no matter how superior they feel about their driving skills. It is already safer than a human driver and is getting better with each iteration. I have zero interest in using it to make money as a robotaxi, it will be my personal robotaxi instead.

Disclaimer -- I was a beta tester for both Microsoft and Adobe, so...
The difference between enhanced autopilot, which has all the features you've listed, at $6K and FSD at $15K is huge. I give Tesla a lot of credit for trying to do something hard, but it doesn't mean I also wanna give more of my money. I'm currently subscribing to the monthly FSD package and also am in the beta program. Like you I see a lot of value in interstate travel using FSD (now EAP) and since I planned to take several long trip these few months signed up for the subscription. However, I don't gain any utility from navigate on city streets or summon; even in the advanced beta form. It's certainly not ready right now and I'm not inclined to speculatively invest in it based on future value. I plan to continue buying and canceling the FSD subscription as I feel it's needed. If the subscription goes away I may consider purchasing EAP. The full screen driving visualization is really cool though; I'll miss that when I'm no longer in the beta program.

Reactions: HSATD
So, I ordered my Model Y on 09/20/2022 and selected FSD (for $15k). I am starting to rethink my FSD choice, as I am unsure that it is a good value @ $15k. I have been vigorously watching many of the FSD videos put out by YouTubers, and while, unquestionably, FSD has gotten markedly better in 2022 alone, it still seems obvious that TESLA EV’s will not see the removal of the steering wheel and pedals anytime soon, nor will any of us be making back our FSD “invested bucks“ from the TESLA robo-taxi implementation anytime soon. FSD continues to struggle with road construction signage and direction/orientation amidst cone placement. That said, unless we begin to see more standardization amongst road construction project crews nationwide, then I cannot see how FSD can fully “go live” and rid us of our steering wheels and pedals.

Any thoughts and/or advice on whether or not I should “opt in” to FSD @ $15k??????

It would drive me crazy not to have all the newest features, but when I opted in it was 7K. I told my self I wasn’t going to get it then (traded model 3 fsd for model y) but ultimately decided I couldn’t not have all the newest features. Personally I’m happy I made the choice.

I defiantly would not pay 15k for it. Especially now that there is a subscription offer. I doubt I will keep my model y for 6 years, mainly because I’d want to upgrade to a new model y or maybe a model s/x in the future. So your 15K is wasted….

No. Not worth $15K. FSD isn't worth paying anything for. If you must, pay for a month of it although you’re not going to get the whole package. I did this for a road trip and came away less than impressed.

Further, some muckity-muck at Tesla has actually said that it *won't* work with current hardware.

Personally, I’d volunteer to be a Beta tester - and it’s really Alpha software right now - if Tesla paid me $1/mile with no feedback, for $2/mile I’d fill out surveys and provide limited written feedback. Yea, it’s that bad.

Reactions: CDennis100
So I’m curious what premium private party sales are getting on FSD, if any. I have a 3 and a Y and I may be selling one of them. Both have FSD. From what I read here it’s worth next to nothing for some and a lot for others. I know I’m sort of answering my own question but the discussion here is focused on new purchase, not used. Not sure how that matters.

So I’m curious what premium private party sales are getting on FSD, if any. I have a 3 and a Y and I may be selling one of them. Both have FSD. From what I read here it’s worth next to nothing for some and a lot for others. I know I’m sort of answering my own question but the discussion here is focused on new purchase, not used. Not sure how that matters.
I'm not sure, but in a logical market (which we know this isn't) you shouldn't get anywhere near the retail value of FSD since it's something a used car buyer can easily add after purchase with no effort.

Reactions: 804son
I feel like there is so much confusion around the feature that it isn't really adding a lot of value. I see a lot of people thinking that it "won't transfer". I also see a lot of listings with wording implying that cars have it when they don't.

At most, it seems to be a few thousand $$.

I'm not sure, but in a logical market (which we know this isn't) you shouldn't get anywhere near the retail value of FSD since it's something a used car buyer can easily add after purchase with no effort.
But if retail is 12k and a buyer wants a Tesla with fsd then
I feel like there is so much confusion around the feature that it isn't really adding a lot of value. I see a lot of people thinking that it "won't transfer". I also see a lot of listings with wording implying that cars have it when they don't.

At most, it seems to be a few thousand $$.
Yeah, I’m probably gonna hold out and wait another year. Hopefully some value to it will be had by then.

Also, it will certainly transfer. I’ve had direct experience with that. Only way it doesn’t is if Tesla as a dealer sells it and they fiddle with it prior. Private party sales are as is where is where a 3rd party can’t intervene, legally.

Reactions: jsight
I was tired when I posted above. While I think FSD is not worth it at all, I should mention that if there were a way to pay a couple hundred bucks - no more - to add auto lane change to the basic autopilot I’d pay for that. Although, really, it should be included. That’s the only thing missing, in my opinion.

The auto lane change function alone makes the $200 subscription worth it for a long road trip. That's what I did for a 3,000 miler and it was great. That’s also where I learned that FSD just isn't all that, and won’t be for a very long time.

Reactions: jsight