Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not sure which Tesla to buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a model x and a model 3. None of us are that tall so you have to see but they both seem to have plenty of head room.

Depending on how much you drive, we have not found the need for more than 120V charging at home. We do have a 10kW charger but only a single one so we normally leave the model 3 on 120V and chargin at destinations. This has worked for us because normally we only drive 20 miles a day. So the key thing is not to wait a long time at survirban superchargers but to find spots where you can get enough to refill your daily drive.

Obviously when you are doing long distance that means you need to super charge.

Anyway YMMV but the key is to know your daily mileage and see the easiest way to refill. The model 3 is a nice choice because it is more efficient in terms of Mike per kWh

Any way to get access to even a 120 outlet in your condo parking? If so, since you work from home that might be sufficient.

I work from home and had to wait 5 months for my signature HPWC to arrive and get installed. In the meantime, I use the charger that came with the car and 120-volt outlet. I believe this adds about 5 miles per hour on a model 3 (3 mph on model S, and 2 mph on model X). And if I travelled on the weekend I visited the local supercharger when I got back from my travels.

I think the most sensible advice here is to talk to the condo board. It seems to me that places like condos will find it in their interests to make charging available to residents. But you may have to do some convincing of them and the membership. It will help if you can find a few other folks in the condo who would like to get an electric car/plug in hybrid.
The bad news (if you want to buy now) is that this process will probably take a while, and its outcome is uncertain.

My2016 MS70 was great except in snow and ice. Was okay in snow and ice with snow tires. I live outside chicago so lot of winter driving. 56k miles. My next one will be D

I've been told by a service center that failures to work in "adverse weather" conditions is not covered by warranty. The issue was that the mirror wouldn't fold out from the car and phone support found the car wouldn't talk to the mirror which says water infiltrated to cause a connector problem.

Combine that with the many reports of not being able to get into your car from a thin layer of ice and I have to say anyone in an area with much snow or ice should not buy a Tesla.

That said, the OP will never expect to see snow or ice unless he goes skiing. He is 6'5" though. I hit my head on the rear doors often when they don't open all the way and it seems that is a "feature" rather than a defect. The rear doors examine the environment and construct a box defined by the objects detected. It won't move the door outside this box which means even when it could open safely, it won't. Combine that with hitting your head on the overhead in the car and I would not recommend even the X for anyone that tall. I've used an S on loan and they are much worse. At 6'1" I can barely get into one without head impact. I can't say anything about a model 3, not been in one.

More toys, better cup holders and way way way way better charging is where its at.

The one glaring defect I see in every Tesla is the dysfunctional center console. There really is no place to put anything when on a trip or just things I want to always have in the car. Heck, even the glove box is barely enough to hold the basic documents I need. I like to keep a few tools handy and a small flashlight and a few other small items. Maybe that just isn't done in "luxury" cars. It just seems like the big hollow console is a waste of space.

Test drive them and buy the one you like the best. Though the S and X are both very big cars, if it's just you and you don't need the room then the 3 will be the best option I think. People that use the trunk a lot and until it's full tend to struggle with the 3. Everyone else loves it!

And yes you will need to work out a charging solution. I strongly suggest seeing if you can sort something out at work if home is not an option.