Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now that autopilot is included......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can someone give me a rundown of how it works now that it is no longer EAP. I know it doesn't do navigate on autopilot, from what I understand that's only with the FSD option, and Tesla's website says that FSD will change lanes on the highway on its own. But does that mean that the 'New" AP doesn't change lanes by itself anymore when you signal? It just isn't cleat to me and I really didn't care before because I wasn't going to order it. Now need to care I guess. I sure there is some thread buried here that xplains it but a quick cursory search didn't show me anything.

AP will only autosteer in your current lane. Once you engage the turn signal AP gets disabled and you need to take control of the car to make the lane change, you need to engage AP again once you complete the lane change. TACC however stays enabled throughout.

The turn signal doesn’t actually disengage auto steer, it just lessens the amount of force needed to disengage it by turning the steering wheel.

So you still have to engage the turn signal and then force the steering wheel out of auto steer, although the reduced force makes it a fairly smooth transition. The problem I have with it is the loud AP disengage/engage sound that happens every time you have to do this gets pretty old, especially on a long drive where you might have kids or other passengers sleeping in the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Retaw and Big Earl
I've seen it both ways, most of the time it does disengage Autosteer without me touching the steering, I've had a few instances where Autosteer was still engaged with the turn signal on and I had to force take control of the steering.

I've seen it both ways, most of the time it does disengage Autosteer without me touching the steering, I've had a few instances where Autosteer was still engaged with the turn signal on and I had to force take control of the steering.

I also thought this was happening when I first got it, but what I was actually doing was using the turn signal while I had the same hand on the steering wheel and just the motion of me engaging the turn signal also overcame the force of auto steer and was disengaging it in one motion giving you the feeling that the turn signal was doing it all. You can test this by engaging the turn signal and making sure you don’t touch the steering wheel and auto steer will never disengage.

If you think about it, having the turn signal alone disengage auto steer would be a safety issue because you could actually have auto steer disengage without the drivers hands on the wheel leaving the car in a state of no steering control at all for a brief moment.

I haven't found anywhere the spells it out so far. What I'm expecting you'll find is it'll be the same as the original AP1 Autopilot - it'll change lanes when you initiate with a turn signal, but not do any degree of recommending or integrating nav.

I haven't found anywhere the spells it out so far. What I'm expecting you'll find is it'll be the same as the original AP1 Autopilot - it'll change lanes when you initiate with a turn signal, but not do any degree of recommending or integrating nav.

Yeah it’s actually even more basic than AP1 because it lacks lane changing on turn signal activation. AP1 had this and the new basic AP package does not.

• Helpful
Reactions: andrewwood
Where did you see that it was now free? It’s my understanding that you are now just forced to purchase it at $2,000 because it comes with every car and every car is now $2,000 more expensive because of it.
Tesla prices change all the time so it's reasonable to say "prices went up and now you get AP for free". Like anything else you can slice and dice it however you like. I paid far more for my car than those buying now, and far more for EAP than those buying now. Certainly looks free to me.

I'm a little disappointed that my exact car configuration is $4500 less than when I bought it, and includes basic autopilot (a 2000 upgrade). Even though I got the 7500 tax credit, I could still buy the same car today for less than I spent lass year tax credits included.

I know prices change and some will think I am whining. I am just disappointed, that's all. It hurts my resale value relative to someone who orders today.