Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now that autopilot is included......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly which is why AP is now included.

Every car maker is adding this, Tesla needs to stay ahead of the game in terms of features AND value, not fall behind. Soon everyone will have a ground-up design EV, including VW with a $22k variant. Tesla will be pretty much forced to give away AP at that point. They are close to it now.
Pretty much. While Tesla's is a couple years out ahead of everyone else in how well it holds lanes, the TACC stuff is becoming considered fairly base-expectation (and those that don't have it even as an option get a "WTF?", such as is the case with the Chevy Bolt). Yes TACC is still often sold as an optional add-on to CC, as automobile industry mostly still sells cars via those huge swaths of "optional" checklists. However those are a lot more granular, smaller steps, and Tesla's large steps of several thousand $ kinda sticks out.

<edit> On the other hand on the FSB side, nobody is there yet but SuperCruise and IIRC last I checked GM is charging $2500 for that on top of a required $3100 for the "Driver Assist" package, on a base-$67K vehicle. So that step still has room for their pricing for a couple years at least.

Last edited:
Uh...that's a graphic a forum user made up you realize?

If you're basing purchasing decisions on pictures made up by random people on the internet that just MIGHT be your own fault when it doesn't work out quite how you expected.

How you think that is tesla bait and switching is.... bizarre.

I already quoted what tesla actually listed on the purchase page for what you bought. It makes 0 mention of changing lanes, in fact it explicitly makes clear it only works within its own lane.
I have asked you several times to point me to any Tesla information of what is included and since you have not provided that I assume you could not find it either. When I purchased the package I also clicked on the Tesla provided link that said AutoPilot. In the video there was a subtitle that said enhanced AutoPilot but the link and the verbiage said AutoPilot. I looked under FSD and lane change was not mentioned. So yes I assumed that the lane change under enhanced AutoPilot was part of AutoPilot. Again you have provided nothing that says otherwise.

• Disagree
Reactions: SammichLover
I have asked you several times to point me to any Tesla information of what is included and since you have not provided that I assume you could not find it either.

Except I have provided it.

Repeatedly.

Like 10 posts ago in this thread most recently- you just don't like the answer.

From the actual order page

Tesla.com said:
  • Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.
That's it. Note: WITHIN ITS LANE.

Your assuming it did anything other than literally what it said on the page where you buy it is on you.

Where did you see that it was now free? It’s my understanding that you are now just forced to purchase it at $2,000 because it comes with every car and every car is now $2,000 more expensive because of it.

I do not believe that is the case. Maybe the lower level 3's, but the M3P and AWD are basically now priced with AP the same as they were without AP previously. A blue/black Performance is now $60,500. It was about that a week ago without the AP option added.

Except I have provided it.

Repeatedly.

Like 10 posts ago in this thread most recently- you just don't like the answer.

From the actual order page

That's it. Note: WITHIN ITS LANE.

Your assuming it did anything other than literally what it said on the page where you buy it is on you.
Yes BUT nowhere is change lanes on turn signal listed? Did they drop it? It is NOT listed under FSD. It would cost them $0 to be clear which is a big problem with Tesla. Another current example is in the course of a month one could order the $35k car and get it in 2-4 weeks. Then it was 6-8 weeks then indefinite and now one can’t order it. And they wonder why people are confused.

• Disagree
It is understandable, but you had a choice - you could have NOT bought it. You wanted it and you were okay with the price.

Today the same iPhone costs less than mine did when i got it. Same goes for my laptop. Same goes for my other car, too. It's a 2017 and I can buy it for about $8k less than I paid for it, about one year later. I knew this going in. I hope you did too.

This is how the world works. If you wait for a few years FSD will be even better, and included. Life is short though, and deep inside you know this. You want your Tesla NOW, as do I :)

But are you realizing that the same software upgrades for existing owners also costs more? Vehicle price aside, it is at least $3500 for existing owners to purchase the same exact software. It really comes across as unethical.

Reactions: Perry
Yes BUT nowhere is change lanes on turn signal listed? Did they drop it? It is NOT listed under FSD. It would cost them $0 to be clear which is a big problem with Tesla. Another current example is in the course of a month one could order the $35k car and get it in 2-4 weeks. Then it was 6-8 weeks then indefinite and now one can’t order it. And they wonder why people are confused.
That feature is somewhat deprecated because of being superseded by the NoAP feature, really it is sort of rolled into it. Or looked at another way it has been enhanced to the point it is referred to as something else.

If you were being close to reasonable in making an assumption if anything you should assume the feature went away entirely.

And the current listing of Full Self Driving has no mention of lane change on turn signal so how is one to know before one purchases. Many of us feel Tesla did a bait and switch. Below is a graphic I used when I purchased. A graphic I later found was wrong.
View attachment 396795

Troy amended his graphic as the situation changed. What Tesla has on the order page is accurate.

E74AD050-85E0-4FE4-9AEE-823614F73E01.png

But are you realizing that the same software upgrades for existing owners also costs more? Vehicle price aside, it is at least $3500 for existing owners to purchase the same exact software. It really comes across as unethical.

Much of what businesses do (not just Tesla) can be construed as unethical. When you buy something and later it goes on sale, naturally you may feel cheated in some way. I've heard people bicker about this stuff at Costco and Home Depot with customer service. Sometimes they price-match retroactively if you're loud enough and they just want you gone when it comes to small items.

If a year or two went by, most of us would have an easier time swallowing this. The issue I think, is the unusually quick time frame we're dealing with, which in this case is short even for tech (months/weeks depending when you ordered, not years).

While we can compare other options becoming standard on cars (automatic brakes on Mazda and Subaru being added, or buying a car right before a new model comes out) I'm not sure there's a direct comparison here given the time line and novelty of everything involved - the AP technology, the Model 3 itself, all their variants (MR going away, SR going away, AP now "included" for a couple grand...)

To me it just doesn't seem that different from buying anything else. There's no guarantee that it A) won't go on sale B) will be available with more features for same price later C) will be available for less from a competitor D) will be improved in some way, etc.

Reactions: InParadise
Much of what businesses do (not just Tesla) can be construed as unethical. When you buy something and later it goes on sale, naturally you may feel cheated in some way. I've heard people bicker about this stuff at Costco and Home Depot with customer service. Sometimes they price-match retroactively if you're loud enough and they just want you gone when it comes to small items.

If a year or two went by, most of us would have an easier time swallowing this. The issue I think, is the unusually quick time frame we're dealing with, which in this case is short even for tech (months/weeks depending when you ordered, not years).

While we can compare other options becoming standard on cars (automatic brakes on Mazda and Subaru being added, or buying a car right before a new model comes out) I'm not sure there's a direct comparison here given the time line and novelty of everything involved - the AP technology, the Model 3 itself, all their variants (MR going away, SR going away, AP now "included" for a couple grand...)

To me it just doesn't seem that different from buying anything else. There's no guarantee that it A) won't go on sale B) will be available with more features for same price later C) will be available for less from a competitor D) will be improved in some way, etc.

I understand what you're speaking to. The fact in this case is that not only was it more expensive at time of purchase, but that price has gone up and now has gone up further while becoming less expensive for new owners. For me personally just because I did not select EAP at time of purchase, it will now cost me $8500 more to obtain than a new customer buying the same vehicle. That's absurd considering I've already made the investment at full original price. Elon posted earlier that FSD will become more expensive in the future. Instead of enticing us with a reasonable upgrade cost, we are only offered it at the highest amount for a vehicle we already paid the top price for. I understand existing owners that haven't upgraded are getting stiffed and have to pay more, but now more value is being placed on the software for those in my position.

Aah - OK, Thanks. I misunderstood MakeUSGreat's post. I thought he already had AP and then just to upgrade to FSD was 11K more.

My car had EAP on delivery and then I bought the FSD upgrade when it was $2000. Didn't pay close attention to pricing after that.

It is understandable, but you had a choice - you could have NOT bought it. You wanted it and you were okay with the price.

Today the same iPhone costs less than mine did when i got it. Same goes for my laptop. Same goes for my other car, too. It's a 2017 and I can buy it for about $8k less than I paid for it, about one year later. I knew this going in. I hope you did too.

This is how the world works. If you wait for a few years FSD will be even better, and included. Life is short though, and deep inside you know this. You want your Tesla NOW, as do I :)

We also wanted to rush out and buy the latest cool toy and be the only guy on the block with said toy. I doubt most of those complaining about prices would do it very differently if they knew what prices would do.

It has never been $11K. If you did not purchase AP or FSD at delivery, the price post delivery was $4K for AP, $7K for FSD, so total for both is $11K.

Most of us have seen the post delivery price of AP drop this week to $3K, so now it would be $10K for both AP and FSD post delivery.
Or it was 7k for EAP after delivery and 4k? for FSD. I paid 7k for EAP and picked up FSD for 2k on the sale.

We also wanted to rush out and buy the latest cool toy and be the only guy on the block with said toy. I doubt most of those complaining about prices would do it very differently if they knew what prices would do.
If I had known about the $5,000 coming back on the early Performance sales, when I ordered late last June there is a decent chance I would have taking the plunge on a P-.

But other than that yeah I expected, and expect going forward, that BEV prices are going to be dropping precipitously for some time to come. It sure ain't my first rodeo in having the retail price of a computer I bought drop as I walked out the door. :p

When did the price for FSD upgrade go up to 11K ?
In March when the price increased for cars across the board. Some of us had it showing $5k for AP+FSD very briefly. They increased that without notice or clarity and it went to $11k or $9k if you purchase after a trial. Not everyone is having to pay these prices. It seems like just the existing owners who bought their car pre-Feb 28th without EAP.