Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now what is this noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S has been starting to piss me off with quality issues. My latest noise seem to be coming from the front end when I turn the wheel. This only started happening the last 100 miles.

Any idea what is causing this noise?

What year is your car? Tesla applied a service bulletin to my car last year to trim the front wheel well liners due to rubbing. I have a 2013 classic.

My S90S was purchased in December and has less than 3000 miles on it. The noise is heard when pulling into and pulling out of parking spaces when you turn the wheel to one side or the other. For the first 2900 miles it was not present but only started doing this noise the past week.

I don't know what it is but I think I heard 2 noises:

1) very low volume rapid "rrrrrrrrr"

2) louder volume creaking.

Do they still happen while the car in motion and high speed?

If the wheel is straight or half a turn either way no noise is present. I only have the issue when turning sharply or pulling into and out of parking spaces.

My S90S was purchased in December and has less than 3000 miles on it. The noise is heard when pulling into and pulling out of parking spaces when you turn the wheel to one side or the other. For the first 2900 miles it was not present but only started doing this noise the past week.

Can you post a video of it happening when the Brake Hold is off? Mine only makes this noise when brake hold is on. The change in suspension geometry is make the brake pads skip just a little.

Mine does the same when cutting the wheels tight to get in/out of parking spaces. I had the SvC technician in the car with me and he told me it was normal. Only occurs when the wheels need to be turned close to or at the limit.

It's the power steering. Happens on all cars.
My last car's owner manual specially mentioned it, and even cautioned against holding the wheel at full lock for too long as it strains the system.
Edit: sorry, my mistake. Your sound is not what I was remembering.

Last edited:
I...turning...

Sounds like a quick and fix from 2013 post:

Turning noise..... | Tesla

"docdac | July 22, 2013
I just had this fixed today by a Tesla Ranger under warranty. The two bolts that secure the steering rack had to be torqued down. Now, no more clicking while parking and tight turning. It is a known issue by the service people and a quick easy fix."

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
It's the power steering. Happens on all cars.
My last car's owner manual specially mentioned it, and even cautioned against holding the wheel at full lock for too long as it strains the system.
Edit: sorry, my mistake. Your sound is not what I was remembering.
Tesla uses an electric motor for power steering and doesn't suffer those issues. You can turn the wheel to lock all day long and it won't hurt anything.

In a regular older (before 2015) car, the power steering system was hydraulic. When the steering wheel is turned all the way to lock, it causes the pump to attempt to pump fluid against a complete blockage. This results in a valve opening that recirculates the fluid within the pump to keep it from destroying itself due to the high pressure. If you hold it in this state for too long the fluid gets extremely hot and the pump can be damaged by it. Tesla (and many other car manufacturers, now) is just using an electric motor to turn the steering rack, and it doesn't have these issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Sounds like a quick and fix from 2013 post:

Turning noise..... | Tesla

"docdac | July 22, 2013
I just had this fixed today by a Tesla Ranger under warranty. The two bolts that secure the steering rack had to be torqued down. Now, no more clicking while parking and tight turning. It is a known issue by the service people and a quick easy fix."

Oh that's good. Sounded like the bones cracking of a person just run over. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Tam
Like I said, it only happens on mine when I'm stopped and the brakes are on hold. When you turn the wheel, the weels rotate a faction of an inch or so since the wheel isn't perfectly centered over the steering knuckle. The result is the brake pads slip in fits and starts on the rotors. If I don't have brake hold on, it doesn't make this noise.

Like I said, it only happens on mine when I'm stopped and the brakes are on hold. When you turn the wheel, the weels rotate a faction of an inch or so since the wheel isn't perfectly centered over the steering knuckle. The result is the brake pads slip in fits and starts on the rotors. If I don't have brake hold on, it doesn't make this noise.
Where is this break hold setting?

Where is this break hold setting?

It's not a setting. When your stopped, if you press the brake pedal in momentarily and then release, you'll see the H in a circle in the upper right part of your display(the one in front of you). Pressing the brake pedal again toggles it off. It also goes off if you press the throttle.

When the H is shown, the brakes are on just like it is in your video. Try turning the wheel again with brake hold off.

Note, I get the same sound with brake hold on when I raise and lower the suspension.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset