TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Now what is this noise?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by BestRadar, Apr 3, 2017.

1. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

My Model S has been starting to piss me off with quality issues. My latest noise seem to be coming from the front end when I turn the wheel. This only started happening the last 100 miles.

Any idea what is causing this noise?

2. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

ewww. How old is your car? If you reposition your steering wheel does the noise change at all?

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

I don't know what it is but I think I heard 2 noises:

1) very low volume rapid "rrrrrrrrr"

2) louder volume creaking.

Do they still happen while the car in motion and high speed?

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

Mine does that too if you turn the wheel lock to lock while not driving.

Try it again with "brake hold" off.

• Like x 1
  5. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

Good observation about being parked when it happened. Hadn't thought about the speed being 0 at the time. Will be curious to see if your suggestion resolves the issue for BestRadar.

6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

What year is your car? Tesla applied a service bulletin to my car last year to trim the front wheel well liners due to rubbing. I have a 2013 classic.

7. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

My S90S was purchased in December and has less than 3000 miles on it. The noise is heard when pulling into and pulling out of parking spaces when you turn the wheel to one side or the other. For the first 2900 miles it was not present but only started doing this noise the past week.

8. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

If the wheel is straight or half a turn either way no noise is present. I only have the issue when turning sharply or pulling into and out of parking spaces.

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

Can you post a video of it happening when the Brake Hold is off? Mine only makes this noise when brake hold is on. The change in suspension geometry is make the brake pads skip just a little.

10. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Mine does the same when cutting the wheels tight to get in/out of parking spaces. I had the SvC technician in the car with me and he told me it was normal. Only occurs when the wheels need to be turned close to or at the limit.

11. dknisely

dknisely Member

Sounds like mine, too.

12. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

#12 ShockOnT, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    It's the power steering. Happens on all cars.
    My last car's owner manual specially mentioned it, and even cautioned against holding the wheel at full lock for too long as it strains the system.
    Edit: sorry, my mistake. Your sound is not what I was remembering.

13. Tam

Tam Active Member

Sounds like a quick and fix from 2013 post:

Turning noise..... | Tesla

"docdac | July 22, 2013
    I just had this fixed today by a Tesla Ranger under warranty. The two bolts that secure the steering rack had to be torqued down. Now, no more clicking while parking and tight turning. It is a known issue by the service people and a quick easy fix."

• Informative x 1
  14. FlyingCookie

FlyingCookie Member

Tesla uses an electric motor for power steering and doesn't suffer those issues. You can turn the wheel to lock all day long and it won't hurt anything.

In a regular older (before 2015) car, the power steering system was hydraulic. When the steering wheel is turned all the way to lock, it causes the pump to attempt to pump fluid against a complete blockage. This results in a valve opening that recirculates the fluid within the pump to keep it from destroying itself due to the high pressure. If you hold it in this state for too long the fluid gets extremely hot and the pump can be damaged by it. Tesla (and many other car manufacturers, now) is just using an electric motor to turn the steering rack, and it doesn't have these issues.

• Informative x 1
  15. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

Oh that's good. Sounded like the bones cracking of a person just run over. :rolleyes:

• Funny x 1
  16. sorka

sorka Active Member

Like I said, it only happens on mine when I'm stopped and the brakes are on hold. When you turn the wheel, the weels rotate a faction of an inch or so since the wheel isn't perfectly centered over the steering knuckle. The result is the brake pads slip in fits and starts on the rotors. If I don't have brake hold on, it doesn't make this noise.

17. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

Where is this break hold setting?

18. sorka

sorka Active Member

It's not a setting. When your stopped, if you press the brake pedal in momentarily and then release, you'll see the H in a circle in the upper right part of your display(the one in front of you). Pressing the brake pedal again toggles it off. It also goes off if you press the throttle.

When the H is shown, the brakes are on just like it is in your video. Try turning the wheel again with brake hold off.

Note, I get the same sound with brake hold on when I raise and lower the suspension.

• Informative x 1
  19. sorka

sorka Active Member

Here you go. With brake hold on and brake hold off.

One additional clue is that when brake hold is on, it takes about 3 times as much force to turn the steering as when it's off.

• Informative x 1
  20. Tam

Tam Active Member

Thanks for the great video demonstration!