Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW’s plans for EVs to 2025 and net-zero emissions by 2050

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the risk of turning this into a pandemic thread, meh. If unvaccinated and your age bracket has been eligible for more than, say, two months, then you get palliative care instead of intensive care. Then we’ll be fine. Let people make their choices and live with them.
Except (a) a small proportion of people can’t receive vaccinations for medical reasons and (b) every individual who “chooses” to not get vaccinated does not just impact themselves, but society as a whole.

Even if we manage to get 95% of adults vaccinated, that’s still 1 million adults left over who could get Covid and completely break our health system.

PS. I am fully Covid-19 vaccinated.

Update from Tesla via SMS today:

“Tesla Update: As previously advised, the NSW Electric Vehicle (Revenue Arrangements) Bill 2021 has yet to be legislated due to delays caused by ongoing restrictions. The NSW Government remains committed to this policy and intend for it to pass as soon as possible.

As we await an update on launch details, eligible orders will continue to be prepared for delivery from the 1-September start date. Your final invoice will be made available once your vehicle has been assigned. Please visit your Tesla Account to complete any outstanding items and for updates on estimated delivery timing in the coming days - tesla.com/teslaaccount

Subject to the eligibility criteria - https://www.nsw.gov.au/initiative/nsw-governments-electric-vehicle-strategy”

• Helpful
Reactions: Nobody Famous
Ok, I should clarify, I wasn’t accurate. I don’t have a tax invoice in my documents area, but I am being asked to pay the balance, including the stamp duty.

I think Tesla’s communications are unclear. They don’t say “but we will hold your vehicle until the legislation is passed, when your invoice will be issued without the stamp duty” or something similar. I am now unclear as to whether they expect me to pay now, including the stamp duty, or if it is OK to wait.

They've (NSW Govt) updated today to say it will be retrospective to Sept 1.

So pay stamp duty, if it passes, get it back (and the $3k if you qualify for that):

To avoid potential delays to the uptake of EVs, the NSW Treasurer has announced that stamp duty exemptions and rebates will retrospectively be available from 1 September 2021.

I'm in NSW and just got my invoice. It is dated the 24th (yesterday). I'll probably be paying it on September 1st. I'm happy to live with the (remote) chance the legislation fails to pass and also to claim back the SD when possible. I registered my interest in being kept informed on the NSW Govt site referenced by cbo100. Next challenge will be organising the pickup while in a state of lockdown.

Looks like they will not now be considering the legislation until October. I am proceeding with my purchase but will not be forking out the dollars until September 1 or later (depending upon when it is ready). I've now got my "engine numbers", VIN and everything except rego number which will presumably happen when they see my money.

Reactions: Hairyman
Re "No point in me delaying beyond 1st September, as I’ve bought so many accessories that I have to go through with the purchase :)"
I imagine that you are paying on Sept 1 and not Nov 30 as that one day potentially costs a lot more.
I've also got a small pile of accessories and will be proceeding, but on or after Sept 1, not before.

Reactions: Hairyman
Yes, 1st September for the tax invoice, it’s worth $3k stamp duty!

At least the accessories will give me something to do, since I will only be able to drive it in a 5km radius. My garage is turning into a bit of a Tesla cave 😀
Have you booked a delivery date yet Pixor? I am aiming for maybe 2nd or 3rd week in Sep at this stage.
I am still not clear on how the current 5km COVID restrictions are applied in these circumstances. Tesla did mention that maybe deliveries could be considered if there were enough vehicle going to a particular area, but I can't see this happening and I think would rather pick up anyway. They mentioned they will have some sort of "Click and Collect" arrangement to align with the current lock-down requirements.

By the way, apart from "LGAs of Concern", the rule is "within your LGA or 5km from your home if outside that LGA."

Many people have thought that you are restricted to 5km in LGAs which are not "of concern", but that is not correct.

I agree picking up probably comes under "obtaining essential products or services not available in your LGA" and/or "Click and Collect". Maybe.....Certainly there are no Teslas in my LGA but they are in an adjoining LGA.

Reactions: Wol747
>>Many people have thought that you are restricted to 5km in LGAs which are not "of concern", but that is not correct.<<

That's my understanding too, having read through the fifty pages of the order - which as usual has so many ambiguous paragraphs it's useless! But that makes sense in country areas - people would starve if they couldn't drive 30Km to a store!