Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW’s plans for EVs to 2025 and net-zero emissions by 2050

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also got the SMS. My dates have been August 31 to September 14 for some time now. I also did the Adobe "Secure Sign" for the invoice and was advised that this copy is the final copy and will NOT be uploaded to the website. That is totally okay with me. I have the signed invoice and I shall pay it on Wednesday this week or later as I do not want the payment to precede the to-be-legislated September 1 date. Given they need two clear business days (which is reasonable), the earliest I would expect to pickup the car would be this Friday. However, that is not my expectation as I am sure there is a big queue in NSW for the Sept 1 date. Realistically, I would expect most cars to be going out (in NSW) from this Friday, though there is undoubtedly a trickle of some cars above the dollar limits or where people are not worried about the rebate or Stamp Duty. I think the NSW delivery places are going to be super busy. Hopefully NSW does not deteriorate further or "Click and Collect" for new car sales might get stopped. In a pandemic, the Tesla online sales model is far superior to the car sale yard model!

Reactions: Pixor
I just looked at the NSW Govt website and in relation to the EV legislation, it says as follows:

"When can a battery or hydrogen fuel cell EV use transit lanes?
The NSW Government will provide more details on when eligible EVs can use transit lanes, and for how long, in the coming months."

So unless they have made an announcement elsewhere (surely not on facebook?) I would take this to mean that EVs cannot yet use transit lanes.

NSW could become the second Australian state to put the brakes on electric vehicle incentives after Premier Chris Minns confirmed he was considering scrapping subsidies in the upcoming budget.
His announcement comes after treasury estimates found there was no clear evidence rebates were boosting electric vehicle sales in the state despite their growing popularity.

Not surprised. The NSW incentives weren’t that penetrating and all went to the wrong places (even the stamp duty incentive cut out at $85K - which meant most EV’s didn’t get it until the last 6 months or so). 90% of non-house dwellings, i.e. Units/Apartments etc, are not willing to be EV ready. They also then bog EV owners down in ridiculous Strata rules (e.g. requiring ev owners to get a new bylaw prepared by a lawyer at the cost of $2K).

They want EV uptake - give incentives to Strata to allow chargers to be installed etc.

Also, get ready for a new EV tax as they need to fund their other commitments.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
The NSW incentives weren’t that penetrating and all went to the wrong places

The EV rebates in NSW were not covered by legislation, so it would be very easy to stop them.

Also, get ready for a new EV tax as they need to fund their other commitments.

Well the NSW Electric Vehicles (Revenue Arrangements) Act 2021 No 25, was introduced by the former government and supported by the now current government. This law defines the Road Usage Charge that will apply to EVs In NSW from 1 July 2027 or when BEVs are 30% of new vehicle sales, whichever occurs first.

To introduce a “new EV“ tax would require a new law or amendment of the existing one. I can’t see that happening. Unless of course the High Court rules that an RUC is in fact an Excise.

The EV rebates in NSW were not covered by legislation, so it would be very easy to stop them.

Well the NSW Electric Vehicles (Revenue Arrangements) Act 2021 No 25, was introduced by the former government and supported by the now current government. This law defines the Road Usage Charge that will apply to EVs In NSW from 1 July 2027 or when BEVs are 30% of new vehicle sales, whichever occurs first.

To introduce a “new EV“ tax would require a new law or amendment of the existing one. I can’t see that happening. Unless of course the High Court rules that an RUC is in fact an Excise.
Unsure why you can’t see this happening? The fact they have ‘leaked’ this shows that there is defin something happening in that space. To change a law is pretty easy, and in fact I think you’ll find it’s actually in the regulations which don’t require a vote - and the only way to stop them is for a disallowance motion.

Unsure why you can’t see this happening? The fact they have ‘leaked’ this shows that there is defin something happening in that space. To change a law is pretty easy, and in fact I think you’ll find it’s actually in the regulations which don’t require a vote - and the only way to stop them is for a disallowance motion.

Because Minns only talked about the rebate, that’s why. I agree there is something “happening in that space” and it‘s very likely the rebates will go or be modified to be means tested or something. But that is a separate issue to the prospect of a “new EV tax”.

It’s not that easy to change the law when the Government doesn’t control the upper house. Any attempt to change the already legislated taxes on EVs would be blocked by progressives in the upper house, unless the LNP joined forces with the ALP, which I think is unlikely in this case since Matt Kean is still there and this was his baby, and also they don’t usually embrace “higher taxes”.

The existing law covers both the RUC and the stamp duty exemption arrangements.