Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curiously, I didn't hear Nvidia mention anything with regard to Tesla during their keynote speech. They did announce partnerships with Audi and Mercedes at CES. Also, the Nvidia autopilot demo hardware/software was done using a Lincoln sedan.

Personally, for me it reinforced my desire to own a Tesla is driven by a closed loop battery off-the-grid solution and not AP or self driving capability. Although come 2020 and beyond, I may change my view.

The NVidia show staff around the Model S are quite knowledgeable for general staffers, and were quick to point out that you can order a Model S with the NVidia self driving hardware today, where all other offerings are years away. The car shown is (obviously) an AP 2 car. Bonus to Tesla for bringing AP2 to market first.

but Gen 1 of AP does work, quite well given it's known limitations IMHO. 2.0 will surpass that in the very near future I am certain. Tesla is doing what others are 'claiming to be doing' but won't be available in the market for at least the next two years. By that point Tesla could even be fiddling with AP 3.0 hardware and firmware.

Curiously, I didn't hear Nvidia mention anything with regard to Tesla during their keynote speech. They did announce partnerships with Audi and Mercedes at CES. Also, the Nvidia autopilot demo hardware/software was done using a Lincoln sedan.

Personally, for me it reinforced my desire to own a Tesla is driven by a closed loop battery off-the-grid solution and not AP or self driving capability. Although come 2020 and beyond, I may change my view.

I'm not surprised. Tesla has been careful to say that their new system is THEIR new system - and not Nvidia's. They're stated that they're using Nvidia as a processor platform, but could just as easily deploy their software on AMD or Intel hardware.

And that makes sense. Telsa's really unique advantage is the always connected fleet learning, which nobody else does as yet, and which will be absolutely vital to anybody looking to make a truly autonomous vehicle. The resulting deep neural nets can be run on any hardware platform. And while the Nvidia hardware is definitely impressive stuff, AMD, in particular, isn't far behind.

After Tesla announced the switch to NVidia for AP 2.0, they've also taken steps to develop their own processor and NVidia announced partnerships with other manufacturers. Tesla will likely continue to use their own software for EAP/FSD and not share code with NVidia or any of their other partners.

We'll likely see AP 3.0 in 2018 or 2019, with improved sensors and a new processor. If NVidia can produce a processor that's powerful enough and priced right, Tesla could select that for AP 3.0 - though they may also have their own processor, customized for Tesla's EAP/FSD software, manufactured by Samsung and could use that for 3.0 if it meets their price/performance/functionality goals.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
I am happy to see the AP2 car in NVIDIA's booth. I am very surprised they never mentioned Tesla AP2 during their keynote when they talked about Drive PX 2. Who else has deployed PX 2 in the numbers that Tesla has? Why not mention them?

P.S. I think it is wise of Tesla to own the AP2 software side, and to have the ability to switch to AMD or Intel if necessary. They learned the hard way with Mobileye that you don't want to rely too heavily on a third party for system critical components. NVIDIA is a great hardware partner for them.

Reactions: EVie'sDad