Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYT article: Stalled on the EV Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really not a Tesla hater, I really would love one of the cars, it's just that 20,000 cars per year in the US is not going to change ANYTHING for the wider world. It certainly isn't going to drive mass adoption and back down in the real world of 24kWh batteries, trying to say that an electric vehicle can drive from DC to upstate New York is just STUPID.

Whoever at Tesla gave this journalist the OK to attempt such a trip is a muppet of the highest order. They should have said no, please borrow the car and use it for commuting 50 miles each way every day around the Beltway and into DC. That's what its built for.

And next week I shall be calling Lamborghini and asking if I can take one of their cars (not a tractor) and attempt the Paris Dakar rally in it.

I've looked at buying more Better Place cars for my staff but, as travelling salesmen, it turns out they're just not a fit for the car's capabilities. Better Place actually are discriminating and will vehemently dissuade people from taking the car if it doesn't suit their use pattern: that's what Tesla's marketing department should have done here with the NYT or at least told him to wait till May when this trip would have been easy.

If the author is telling the truth, Tesla definitely did a poor job of prepping him for the trip. The trip was easily doable with some simple modifications (do a range charge, plug in overnight even if it's only a 110V outlet, don't leave for your destination when you have 50% range than you need to get there). Common sense things would have made this story totally different. The Model S is so much more than a 100 mile round trip commuter car for the 85 kWh version at least.

Well said David!

If the author is telling the truth, Tesla definitely did a poor job of prepping him for the trip. The trip was easily doable with some simple modifications (do a range charge, plug in overnight even if it's only a 110V outlet, don't leave for your destination when you have 50% range than you need to get there). Common sense things would have made this story totally different. The Model S is so much more than a 100 mile round trip commuter car for the 85 kWh version at least.

Mr. Broder, J'ACCUSE!!!

Reading his article again it all seems a bit fishy.

I'm sure it was pointed out earlier in the thread but why didn't he recharge in NYC? With 79 miles of range indicated and a destination 73 miles away, and given his statement that since Delaware "range was falling faster than miles are accumulating", you would think a recharge would be in order. Generally speaking, I don't like to coast in to town on fumes in my current car. Maybe that's just me.

But departing for a destination that is well beyond projected range.... that's just plain stupid.

Unless... did he maybe *want* to run the car past empty? Just to see what would happen? Or maybe get a nice shot of the expensive luxury car hobbled on a tow truck?

Anyway, I wrote a letter to the editor. Doubt it will be published.

In the end its not going to matter. With sufficient charging stations, running out of juice in a EV will be identically stupid to running out of gas in an ICE.

All joking aside, I think he wanted to push the envelope a little, find the weak spots in a new system. He certainly did, and in a way we should probably thank him because I-95 will probably have twice the superchargers now thanks to his little adventure. I'll never use them, but I'll be happy they're there...

-Aron

Last edited:
Of course if the NYT journalist had access to a battery swap with full charge, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.
Well that's true of a J1772 where he spent the night as well. Not to mention it's a lot cheaper to install and operate. I think though the point a lot of us are making about Tesla and EVs is that while we'd all love to say they work perfectly for everyone, the infrastructure isn't there yet, and it will be a rough sometimes until it is. It'd be nice to see Tesla, in their official response to this article, donate a charger to the hotel where he stayed, much like Nissan did when Top Gear found a town with out a charger to strand the LEAF in. Then we all win.

Well that's true of a J1772 where he spent the night as well. Not to mention it's a lot cheaper to install and operate. I think though the point a lot of us are making about Tesla and EVs is that while we'd all love to say they work perfectly for everyone, the infrastructure isn't there yet, and it will be a rough sometimes until it is. It'd be nice to see Tesla, in their official response to this article, donate a charger to the hotel where he stayed, much like Nissan did when Top Gear found a town with out a charger to strand the LEAF in. Then we all win.

I think that if he had done a range charge at each Supercharger (probably not even that much), no overnight charging would have been necessary, and he could have nicely completed with good heating and only the existing Superchargers.

(BTW, another report on the TM forum points out that the charging loss in parking is large in the beginning, and then becomes much smaller later on. Besides I'm not sure about his numbers regarding that point).

If I had a Model S in that area, I'd try to confirm this and examine the optimal solution in total, as well as at each step. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thumbs up to Jefferies. The first one who sounds not intimidated by this story and the misperception it creates.

Go get 'im Elon. Love to see a defamation lawsuit if true. Paid off by big oil?!?!

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk NYTimes article about Tesla range in cold is fake. Vehicle logs tell true story that he didn't actually charge to max & took a long detour.

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk Tesla blog coming soon detailing what actually happened on Broder's NYTimes "range test". Also lining up other journalists to do same drive.

I haven't bothered re-reading the article, but my impression is that he asked a Tesla rep each time if the amount he charged would be enough. So I assumed it was a rep who was either lacked experience/knowledge or who was trying to bend over backward to make the reporter think he didn't have to cool his heels at a charging station too long. If the reporter took long detours, that changes things considerably.

As for charging to the max, again, if the rep didn't instruct the reporter to perform a range charge, then the rep was at fault.

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk NYTimes article about Tesla range in cold is fake. Vehicle logs tell true story that he didn't actually charge to max & took a long detour.

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk Tesla blog coming soon detailing what actually happened on Broder's NYTimes "range test". Also lining up other journalists to do same drive.

Gotta love E. He calls 'em as he sees 'em. Just the raw truth. So refreshing.

If something is wrong he says: "it's wrong". When something is false he says "It's false". You don't have to agree with his every opinion or POV on things but it's just so nice to have a buiseness leader that honest and straight forward. Insipres confidence!

(Hope he's right about the logs, but I'm sure he is)

Here are the exact tweets from Elon- there were 3
1) elonmusk: NYTimes article about Tesla range in cold is fake. Vehicle logs tell true story that he didn't actually charge to max & took a long detour.

2) elonmusk: Tesla blog coming soon detailing what actually happened on Broder's NYTimes "range test". Also lining up other journalists to do same drive.

3) elonmusk: Tesla data logging is only turned on with explicit written permission from customers, but after Top Gear BS, we always keep it on for media.

NY Times: busted

Status
Not open for further replies.