Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

October 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I've joined this group recently and i'm very happy to join it. didn't know this group existed and completed my profile after joining :)
What's the difference between Austin Build vs Freemont Build. do we need be concerned with any. Also any advantages on this.
Also I'm planning on getting Chargepoint instead of going with the Tesla wall charger. can we go with Chargepoint or we need to stick with the Tesla one?
Can someone please shed some light on my queries

MYLR - No FSD - No Tow - Red- 5 Seat /White Interior - Gemini Wheels
OD 10/8/21 -EDD May9-June6
For Charging questions, try this thread NEMA 14-50 or Hardwire ChargePoint electric company paying for service upgrade. The Model Y: Battery & Charging forum has some good info.

I ended up going with the NEMA 14-50 instead of the Tesla Charger.

Reactions: svsk135
Hi All, I've joined this group recently and i'm very happy to join it. didn't know this group existed and completed my profile after joining :)
What's the difference between Austin Build vs Freemont Build. do we need be concerned with any. Also any advantages on this.
Also I'm planning on getting Chargepoint instead of going with the Tesla wall charger. can we go with Chargepoint or we need to stick with the Tesla one?
Can someone please shed some light on my queries

MYLR - No FSD - No Tow - Red- 5 Seat /White Interior - Gemini Wheels
OD 10/8/21 -EDD May9-June6
There’s much discussion, speculation etc about whether Austin will be significantly better, about the same, not as good in some ways, better in others etc etc..... and/or something to avoid awhile until new-factory/new-workers get kinks ironed out. Much Sound and Fury, much smoke... no solid information.
What we do know is the Fremont versions are much improved and while they still must be checked thoroughly on delivery are fine, fine vehicles.
My personal guess is the differences won’t be huge, that the current batteries are a known, proven quantity and the 4680s that will be in the Austin vehicles have a lot of potential on paper, but there is no way to know right now if they will be a huge improvement IRL and how well they will actually hold up. Again, on paper, better. But unproven.
The Austin builds supposedly will differ mainly in having that new battery, that battery will be built into a new pack that becomes a part of the car’s structure rather than being simple hanging underneath. It will also have a revised single casting for the front part of the chassis replacing several dozen parts.
Mostly all this is aimed at reducing manufacturing time/cost but is expected to have a number of secondary benefits such as less weight, perhaps better charging and more range and battery life, a somewhat stiffer body etc.
There is also now some evidence it’s possible the Austin cars won’t be going to fill existing orders but instead will be a slightly lower-range model at about the same weight that will be sold at a different price point. We’ll know in the next two or three weeks.
But for now, we’re all just guessing based on a lot of circumstantial evidence, personal bias, internet hype etc.
The Fremont cars are real though and not to be sneezed at.

Last edited:
So I got a Two Day window today at 9am EST. March 29 - 31. No VIN though. Not sure what to make of it. I'm trying to hold back my excitement, odds are obviously good that this won't last. I've been honestly hoping for an Austin build, even if it meant waiting. But i'll take what I get for sure.
I have the same order date as you. MYLR, blue. White interior. No other add-ons. No VIN yet here either, but my EDD hasn't change - still sitting at 4/20-5/18.

Not sure why I bother checking my app anymore. I guess I like getting more frustrated. Just got my EDD updated to a smooth July 17 to Sept 20th. Nothing says joy like potentially getting a car 11 months after you order it, when your original EDD was Feb March. I live in the Philly Market so it's not like I am way off my mark. Oct 5th OD/Profile MS LR, 20" Tow, 5 seat, No FSD. I am not playing the FSD game cause with my luck I will be stuck with it and someone will hit me and total my car pulling out of the Tesla parking lot. I plan to subscribe monthly as needed. The only positive is the price I am locked in at.
OMG July? Insanity. You're funny btw

There’s much discussion, speculation etc about whether Austin will be significantly better, about the same, not as goo in some ways, better in others etc etc..... and/or something to avoid awhile until they get kinks ironed out. Much Sound and Fury, much smoke... no solid information.
What we do know is the Fremont versions are much improved and while they still must be checked thoroughly, and are fine, fine vehicles.
My personal guess is the differences won’t be huge, that the current batteries are a known, proven quantity and the 4680s that will be in the Austin vehicles have a lot of potential on paper, but there is no way to know right now if they will be a huge improvement IRL and how well they will actually hold up. Again, on paper, better. But unproven.
The Austin builds supposedly will differ mainly in having that new battery, that battery will be built into a new pack that becomes a part of the car’s structure rather than being simple hanging underneath. It will also have a revised single casting for the front part of the chassis replacing several dozen parts.
Mostly all this is aimed at reducing manufacturing time/cost but is expected to have a number of secondary benefits such as less weight, perhaps better charging and more range and battery life, a somewhat stiffer body etc.
There is also now some evidence it’s possible the Austin cars won’t be going to fill existing orders but instead will be a slightly lower-range model at about the same weight that will be sold at a different price point. We’ll know in the next two or three weeks.
But for now, we’re all just guessing based on a lot of circumstantial evidence, personal bias, internet hype etc.
The Fremont cars are real though and not to be sneezed at.
Thank yo so much for the info and clarification

So you have just used the NEMA 14-50 outlet and it's not the Level2 charger right. Pardon me as i'm getting used these terminology and different types of chargers/levels
NEMA 14-50 is a GEN2 charging for Tesla. It is a 50 amp circuit. It recharges about 36mph instead of the Wall Charger, 60-amps, at 42mph. I just had to buy the adaptor from Tesla for $45

NEMA 14-50 is a GEN2 charging for Tesla. It is a 50 amp circuit. It recharges about 36mph instead of the Wall Charger, 60-amps, at 42mph. I just had to buy the adaptor from Tesla for $45

Thanks for the update. sorry for asking so many questions. so it's like installing this one right
Amazon.com

this will get a separate circuit and we will get let me the 32 mph. correct me if i'm wrong

Man that's steep. he raised 1k within the last month
Not as steep as the $12,500 increase for the X Plaid... :)

Inflation, supply and demand, etc. aside, this latest price increase may be a sign that confirms the arrival of the Standard Range Y, and Tesla is simply creating room with pricing to eventually insert this new car to the line up. By raising the price of the MYLR, they will be able to price the MYSR a little higher while still maintain the "appropriate" pricing gap with the MYLR. Which unfortunately means the "affordable" MYSR will likely end up not being affordable at all...

Thanks for the update. sorry for asking so many questions. so it's like installing this one right
Amazon.com

this will get a separate circuit and we will get let me the 32 mph. correct me if i'm wrong
Correct. This is the adaptor

And here are the requirements Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Last edited:
Reactions: svsk135
Haven’t seen it change more than once a day. Wish it would especially now because this is what just happened to me:

Ordered 10/28 and completed profile same day. Was going to finance through Tesla. EDD May-June. The next day EDD changed to Feb-Mar. Then in Jan EDD changed to TBD, because financing expired. Wondered if I should renew financing since the expiration would be around the EDD. Decided to renew financing and EDD held steady until Feb when it got pushed to Mar-Apr. then got pushed again to Apr 28-May 28. Financing expired again. Instead of renewing and taking another hit to my credit, I selected cash. Now my EDD is September.

I’m hoping it’s just an issue of the original financing expiring and now that it says cash it’ll go back to Apr-May.

Reactions: 808litt