Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Agile Peak Rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr Miserable

Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2019
UK
Referral Code
I've just noticed yesterday's electricity production and usage graph.(Gridwatch.co.uk)
Octopus Energy with their Agile tariff make a great play about encouraging people to shift their consumption habits to avoid the peak between 16:00 and 19:00.
Well, guess what? - it must be working because look, no secondary peak .

Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 16.41.59.png

Of course it might just be because half the nation was stuck in a traffic jam as they tried to leave Bournemouth or because of the good weather Dad wheeled out the BBQ instead of Mum turning on the oven.
On the basis of the above evidence I think Octopus can reduce their peak rate.
Forget one swallow and all that......

Reactions: Doudeau and Roy W.
I’m not sure how many Agile customers there are but I’d be surprised if we can have that effect!!

To be a pedant, I know National Grid manage supply to meet demand, but isn’t the graph you’ve put up generating output and not demand?

Edit: I’ll take a peak rate cut though.

Reactions: ringi
Of course it might just be because half the nation was stuck in a traffic jam as they tried to leave Bournemouth

I live on halying island near Portsmouth...one road on/off. Traffic was bonkers yesterday...when i went to bed at 10.30 last night the traffic still stretched the 4 and a half mile length of the island to the bridge. I have never seen that before!

Agile has gone to sheeeeeeeeit a bit for me in the last couple of days or more.. tomorrow it's above 10p from 08:30 until 22:30, and at points after the peak it's actually more than it was for me on Go.

Blazing sunshine too, so what's up with that?

Bah humbug.

Guess so :( Would've thought solar would compensate though.

Well, hot weather decreases output from solar and hot weather across Europe would also raise air conditioning demand.

Combine that with a dip in wind generation due to a high pressure front, and that could make nucléaire and other imports more expensive and raise wholesale prices.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Agile has gone to sheeeeeeeeit a bit for me in the last couple of days or more.. tomorrow it's above 10p from 08:30 until 22:30, and at points after the peak it's actually more than it was for me on Go.

Blazing sunshine too, so what's up with that?

Bah humbug.

Yep it's a shocker!
However for the last few months it has been sublime! Cheapest electricity tariff by miles.
It will take a month of the current high prices before I would consider changing tariffs (and I would still be quids in then too)

A bit off topic here but I’m still yet to decide on whether or not to make the switch from my current provider (Bulb) to Octopus.

Thing is, most of our household usage is peak, can’t be avoided I’m afraid and with regards to the car, pretty low weekly mileage (100-120).

Anyone else been in a similar situation and went against the grain and stayed where they are, or is everybody jumping ship?

A bit off topic here but I’m still yet to decide on whether or not to make the switch from my current provider (Bulb) to Octopus.

Thing is, most of our household usage is peak, can’t be avoided I’m afraid and with regards to the car, pretty low weekly mileage (100-120).

Anyone else been in a similar situation and went against the grain and stayed where they are, or is everybody jumping ship?
Good thing about Octopus is that you can cancel at any time without penalty (as you can with bulb), or indeed switch between any of the tarrifs they offer without penalty. Not all tarrifs penalise for peak time usage.

Have you compared their fixed tariff to bulbs to understand the worst case scenario?

No doubt my energy pattern is different to yours (2 kids, WFH) but I'm seeing around 40-50% reduction on my bills since I switched from Bulb.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl