Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Compare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for that, that's brilliant... it's the month and year views that really help.

Am I right in saying that you can switch between Agile and Go pretty easily? I think there's a 30 day limit, but is there anything to stop you doing summer on Agile and Winter on Go? Is it quick and simple change?

Thanks for that, that's brilliant... it's the month and year views that really help.

Am I right in saying that you can switch between Agile and Go pretty easily? I think there's a 30 day limit, but is there anything to stop you doing summer on Agile and Winter on Go? Is it quick and simple change?
It should be easy, just visit the page of the tariff you want to switch to and follow the prompts.

Octopus Energy

upload_2021-1-8_11-59-8.png

Unfortunately when I moved from Agile > Octopus last month, there was a server error that prevented me from accepting the terms and conditions, so I needed to call them to resolve.

There is a 30 day limit but other than that you could alternate between Go and Agile each month. For my pattern of usage, I'll likely be on Go from December - Feb then Agile March to November.

It's not a realsitic comparison as you would change when you are consuming power based on which plan you are using. On Agile you'll perhaps charge at the lowest prices daily, this may well be outside the Go reduced tariff and so penalises a comparison.

Similarly if you are on Go, you;ll charge in that time which might not be the cheapest time on Agile.

It's not a realsitic comparison as you would change when you are consuming power based on which plan you are using. On Agile you'll perhaps charge at the lowest prices daily, this may well be outside the Go reduced tariff and so penalises a comparison.

Similarly if you are on Go, you;ll charge in that time which might not be the cheapest time on Agile.

Yes agreed, it would be a lot more of a realistic comparison if it compared the usage from the cheapest 4 hours from GO with the cheapest 4 hours from Agile rather than simply basing it on a direct time comparison.

I think it's very useful, and a totally realistic comparison. Now I'm on Go, I can see it would be cheaper on Agile without me doing anything different to how I do it now. So if I switch to Agile I'll at least make a saving, before I even do things to move use out side of the peaks. Thus a win. Or if I were on Agile, doing my best and Go were cheaper I could do nothing different (or since all day is flat rate, simplify and makes things more convenient) and again save money.

It's a realistic comparison of how a person who uses their leccy would have fared if they were on another tariff. Sure, if you adjust your behaviour then that would change things, but not everyone can, or is willing to do that. Take me as an example. There's no way I'd be able to shift our evening mealtimes out of the 4-7pm peak, not a chance. And while I could change when I charge the car, I'm barely doing any miles at the moment. So the reality is most of my usage is in the "normal period" of Go, and would be in the normal period of Agile... thus it allows me to compare how that would have done.

So if you're prepared to deep dive into the thinking of how you use electricity, usage patterns and analyse what it says, its a very useful comparison indeed.

Very interesting. For me I've been cheaper on Go since September and just over the past month have saved £15.68 over Agile ... but Agile had a worthwhile advantage during the summer months. I think if my car use had been typical last summer (it was much lower than usual) that would have reduced that Agile summer advantage so both schemes would turn out surprisingly close over the year. However, for 2020 it was showing an overall Agile advantage. Happy to stick with Go meantime but this app will help to see how things develop as summer approaches.

The biggest advantage of Go (especially for those of us with battery systems) is that it is a "set it and forget it".

Our biggest advantage with Go vs Agile is me not getting even more upset that SWMBO uses a disproportional amount of energy for evening peak. Its bad enough with Go let along something that artificially penalises you for use during that time.

Reactions: Adopado