Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interesting. did my first full IO charge during the night.
Had 51% SOC and set to charge to 85%. IO managed to schedule 3 slots, however it charged to 77% SOC only. Is this normal behaviour?

1645519210040.png

also, interestingly, Tesla App shows 20KWh added, while IO shows 14.85 KWH.

Last edited:
If I set charge to 85% i'll usually end with 83 or 84% same as if i'd done on the car scheduling (I actually found using watch app for tesla was better at getting my charge level to 85% but that's by the by).

When you setup IO, did you select the correct tesla model 3 and charging point that you have? IO will get your current charge level from the car and your requested charge level from the app it'll calculate how long you need a charge based on battery size and charging rate for the charge point and arrange for charging to commence to bring the battery up to that level, for example I selected the 2019 Model 3 long range on setup with my 7kw Podpoint solo charger, but if i'd selected a SR+ i'd probably get less of a charge

For example (approximating battery levels here)

Say the SR+ has a 50kw battery at 51% you'd have 25.5kw left and to bring it to 85% you'd need 17kw
and also say the LR is 75kw, at 51% you'd have 38.25kw left and to get to 85% you'd need to add an extra 25.5kw

If I set charge to 85% i'll usually end with 83 or 84% same as if i'd done on the car scheduling (I actually found using watch app for tesla was better at getting my charge level to 85% but that's by the by).

When you setup IO, did you select the correct tesla model 3 and charging point that you have? IO will get your current charge level from the car and your requested charge level from the app it'll calculate how long you need a charge based on battery size and charging rate for the charge point and arrange for charging to commence to bring the battery up to that level, for example I selected the 2019 Model 3 long range on setup with my 7kw Podpoint solo charger, but if i'd selected a SR+ i'd probably get less of a charge

For example (approximating battery levels here)

Say the SR+ has a 50kw battery at 51% you'd have 25.5kw left and to bring it to 85% you'd need 17kw
and also say the LR is 75kw, at 51% you'd have 38.25kw left and to get to 85% you'd need to add an extra 25.5kw
yes, I did select right tesla... :/

in the end of the day they are looking at data what car provided, what is SOC etc.

Last edited:
yes, I did select right tesla... :/

in the end of the day they are looking at data what car provided, what is SOC etc.
I als on had this issue that fooled me into thinking it wasn’t charging for first few days. If I set a percentage the same it different in either the Tesla or the IO apps the car never charged to that specific level. It always charged up to that level, the fact that it says ‘up to’ is worrying as it means they give you some charge but not necessarily what you wanted or needed. In my case 73% charged is not 80% that I needed to do the journey. I spoke with octopus today and explained all, they said it was probably better that if I rely on a certain charge level then I should change back to Go. They did it immediately. As I said my conclusion of IO is that it’s good if you want to be green but not if you need to rely on the charge levels.

I als on had this issue that fooled me into thinking it wasn’t charging for first few days. If I set a percentage the same it different in either the Tesla or the IO apps the car never charged to that specific level. It always charged up to that level, the fact that it says ‘up to’ is worrying as it means they give you some charge but not necessarily what you wanted or needed. In my case 73% charged is not 80% that I needed to do the journey. I spoke with octopus today and explained all, they said it was probably better that if I rely on a certain charge level then I should change back to Go. They did it immediately. As I said my conclusion of IO is that it’s good if you want to be green but not if you need to rely on the charge levels.
that's really odd, my charge level is sub 50% and every morning it's circa 85% so it does work ... for me at least!

Oh while I remember what's the charge level set to on your car, just for sake of completeness I set mine to 100% in the car so there is no clash with IO's charge level and the Tesla's

that's really odd, my charge level is sub 50% and every morning it's circa 85% so it does work ... for me at least!

Oh while I remember what's the charge level set to on your car, just for sake of completeness I set mine to 100% in the car so there is no clash with IO's charge level and the Tesla's
Both apps set to same required charge level. Now I’m on Go again we can also run dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer in off peak hours. My experience shouldn’t influence others, but it will.

• Disagree
Reactions: btc1k
See the site, fourth point:
Octopus Energy
Thanks I missed that although I’d rather be in control of when and how much I charge so GO is still better option for me. Too much faffing around with the IO app for my liking and the unpredictability of car being charged or not is not worth added stress to wake up to. If you pop to the shops everyday then great for tootling around but not for the business driver. The whole EV home charging network will be controlled by the electricity and oil companies within next 2 years (sucking power from cars when grid is short at peak and in night) so I realise it’s inevitable to be all IO type in the end, but for now I will at least stay in control. GO not IO for me.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Thanks I missed that although I’d rather be in control of when and how much I charge so GO is still better option for me. Too much faffing around with the IO app for my liking and the unpredictability of car being charged or not is not worth added stress to wake up to. If you pop to the shops everyday then great for tootling around but not for the business driver. The whole EV home charging network will be controlled by the electricity and oil companies within next 2 years (sucking power from cars when grid is short at peak and in night) so I realise it’s inevitable to be all IO type in the end, but for now I will at least stay in control. GO not IO for me.
I mean you can disable that intelligent part and use it just as normal go with longer hours....

I'll try again to explain how the tariff works using my schedule for tonight.

My battery is currently at 62% and I need to charge to 100% tonight for a trip.
1645567525060.png

Some points to note here:
1) IO has scheduled the charging over a total of 5.5 hours. Adding 38% in this time sounds reasonable.
2) The car charging scheduled is independent of the 23:30-05:30 off peak rates. You always get that period which you can use all through your house for washing, tumble drying, charging up other batteries etc.
3) Notice that IO has also scheduled a charge slot starting at 22:30-23:00. This will also be off-peak for the car charge and through the whole house.

I'll try again to explain how the tariff works using my schedule for tonight.

My battery is currently at 62% and I need to charge to 100% tonight for a trip.
View attachment 772615

Some points to note here:
1) IO has scheduled the charging over a total of 5.5 hours.
2) The car charging scheduled is independent of the 23:30-05:30 off peak rates that you can use all through your house for washing, tumble drying, charging up other batteries etc.
3) Notice that IO has also scheduled a charge slot starting at 22:30-23:00. This will also be off-peak for the car charge and through the whole house.
Exactly and as we have a hot tub am going to keep an eye on the schedule to try and time use of the tub with the cheap extra slots.😂 Have seen them as early as 7:30pm.