Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

Yes, I set both to £4 but it messes with my OCD ;)
Does the Powerwall then export battery power though if it thinks you can only sell it for the same amount as it will cost you to buy? Mine allows me to have a sell price which is greater than the buy price.

I tested mine last night - it took a few minutes to start (and stop) after changing the settings but it did start to export battery power.

Upvote 0
Does the Powerwall then export battery power though if it thinks you can only sell it for the same amount as it will cost you to buy? Mine allows me to have a sell price which is greater than the buy price.

I tested mine last night - it took a few minutes to start (and stop) after changing the settings but it did start to export battery power.
Yes, it still sells during the day because it “knows” it bought it for 7.5p/kWh during the night…

Reactions: ringi and Js1977
Upvote 0
Yes, it still sells during the day because it “knows” it bought it for 7.5p/kWh during the night…
Yes but dont forget it takes a while from from first installation for it to learn things. Personally, I would not trust on introducing a random cheap rate that does not happen often and trust that it will do the right thing.... it might even do but im not taking chances 😬

Upvote 0
Ok, understood, thanks. I was unsure how clever it is, as in does it think ahead as to how much charge you will need to get you through to the next off peak window. If it does and it thinks you need the power later in the day, I guess it could not sell thinking it would need to buy again at the same price. Mine does seem to look ahead with what it does with the solar - somedays it charges with some and exports some, somedays it uses it all and somedays it sells all, which I assume is it balancing what I need to get me through and what more is likely to come from solar.

I'm probably overthinking it!

Upvote 0
giphy.gif

• Informative
Reactions: PITA
Upvote 0
No fiddling with prices here, I just switch to Export Everything at 1700 and switch it off at 1830. This forces the battery to discharge.

When I didn't have export solar / export everything option, I find the AI still interferes with what and how much it chooses to send to the grid.

I'm doing the same although don't know if it'll work with my system. We'll find out. Relatively low risk, we've had a decent solar day

Upvote 0