Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

I suppose only Octopus can really know for sure what their intent is, but I doubt that it's "only an IHD replacement".
I haven't really had a proper look but the way I see it from my brief overview is that the Octopus mini would do the same (if not better due to constant data flow instead 30 minute increments)as you can likely get for these other apps (bright, etc)

With Octopus (and maybe others) we dont see todays data until tomorrow since it only gets polled once a day from the DCC whatever data provider some of the older meters still use.

Upvote 0
I wish Intelligent Go set the export rate to say 18p between 3pm-7pm for people who agree to have imports at these times 3p more expensive then normal day rate and exports rates a little lower at other time. This would make it worthwhile to use clearly excess battery capacity to export between 3pm-7pm (A significant number of people can add more battery capacity cheaply using non branded batteries incoming "build your own kits".) I could see myself with 40kwk on an inverter with 6kw charge/diacharged as the cost for the "unneeded" batteries are so low. (Then being able to disconnect failing cells while keeping enough capacity for a very long time. Not practical to add cells later as will not balance to use all new capacity.)

For people with small batteries would be nice to have option of a little higher import prices 3pm-7pm in exchange for little lower day rates at other times, then could simpler tell battery to hold charge until 3pm, then cover house load until start of cheap rate.

Upvote 0
I agree, but I can't see them extending effort to automate something that only occurs a few times a year.

If it saved the cost of building a new combine cycle gas power station or keeping a coal power station staffed/maintained then it would make sence. Not hard to so, as for example Tesla already have all the logic needed if the batteries could automatically download prices changes.

Would also allow Octopus to push power to the batteries when too much wind.

Upvote 0
It would not be hard to force all new internet connection boxes to provide a 2nd low brandwidth network that is for government use and only connects to government approved IP address with a fixed password to access it. It could also be used to enable 999 calls from any smart phone that is within range and/or for sms services so any one visiting a home automatically gets connected.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I think in general people dont realise how much they rely on their wi-fi these days and how important it is to retain they SSID and password long term. Unfortunately its not a known or easy process for most people and even though my best advice would be to invest in a separate access point in case the router gets changed for some reason, it still involves initial setup and financial outlay.
Most routers these days allow you to change the SSID and password. This is what I do so that any change in router is as smooth as possible - obviously the change in internal IP addresses complicate matters a bit but I doubt the average punter has as much crap running on their network as I do

Upvote 0
t would not be hard to force all new internet connection boxes to provide a 2nd low brandwidth network that is for government use and only connects to government approved IP address with a fixed password to access it. I

That password would be in the public domain within minutes..

I think the network they have is good enough, just with wifi backup for low signal areas. Also HAN could just have been plain zigbee, so any device could attach - the local usage info really isn't that important.. it appears to be so locked down simply so certain companies have a monopoly on IHDs.

Upvote 0
Looks like there’ll be no follow up DFS event today.

However, a live event for all providers just posted for Friday 1st December between 16:30–18:00!
Annoyingly it's more or less the same times as yesterday so the "average over the last 10 days" that we'll be judged against has gone up a bit. That means I'll get paid a little bit less than however much I manage to export, but if they keep the £4/kWh it should still be well worth it....

Upvote 0
Annoyingly it's more or less the same times as yesterday so the "average over the last 10 days" that we'll be judged against has gone up a bit. That means I'll get paid a little bit less than however much I manage to export, but if they keep the £4/kWh it should still be well worth it....

Their baseline calc excludes days where there's been an event previously. From their FAQ:
"We first look at your meter readings from the same time as the Session over the past 10 weekdays (excluding any days with a Saving Session). We use those to find the average amount of electricity you typically use then."

Upvote 0
Their baseline calc excludes days where there's been an event previously. From their FAQ:
"We first look at your meter readings from the same time as the Session over the past 10 weekdays (excluding any days with a Saving Session). We use those to find the average amount of electricity you typically use then."
Fairly glaringly obvious thing for me to miss! Thanks for that! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: phil4 and PITA
Upvote 0
App states it's a 1 hour session between 16:30 and 18:00 ???
1701366633608.png

Looks OK to me...

Upvote 0