Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.
It's based on the net difference of your average baseline usage of the previous 10 days, between the time slots in the saving window

Upvote 0
Now I find myself kinda pleased that National Grid had the guts to go for their first weekend event.

Possibly, to be confirmed at 09:00 - so if it happens as early as 12:00 perhaps - more likely peak as usual.

Well, is on as confirmed at 08:58 and a 100 MW reduction ask for… you guessed it… 18:00–18:30

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Js1977
Upvote 0
Octopus Energy’s domestic bid (40 MW @ £500/MWh) was accepted, yay! We’re on for today! :)

However, their commercial/industrial unit bid (also 40 MW but £1,000/MWh) was rejected, along with:
  • Axle Energy Ltd
  • E.On Next Energy Ltd
  • EDF Energy Customers Ltd
  • Equiwatt Ltd
  • Flexitricity Ltd
  • GridBeyond Ltd
  • Oaktree Power Ltd
  • Ovo Electricity Ltd
  • Solo Energy Ltd
  • Utilita Energy Ltd
Can opt in now for £1.75/kWh reward, kudos to Octopus!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For a bit of fun, as almost certainly the last event for 2023–24 DFS, here are the providers who were asleep, not at work, or not interested:
  • British Gas Trading Limited
  • Carbonlaces Limited
  • Chameleon Technology (UK) Limited
  • Conrad Energy (Trading) Limited
  • Cub (UK) Ltd
  • Energy Delivered Ltd
  • Engie Power Limited
  • NPower Commercial Gas Limited
  • Orange Power Ltd
  • P3P Energy Supply Limited
  • Pearlstone Energy Ltd
  • RDT Support Team (?)
  • SSE Digital Services Limited
  • Zenobe Energy Limited
Certainly one for those with multiple batteries, as having checked my baseline consumption vs. export I expect only 2.485 kWh saving this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: phil4
Upvote 0
For a bit of fun, as almost certainly the last event for 2023–24 DFS, here are the providers who were asleep, not at work, or not interested
To be fair, the going rate of 50p/kWh is now pretty well established, and it's not enough incentive for ordinary consumers to load shift - hence octopus are topping up, bless them... I can see why others who are looking at this as a more commercial transaction wouldn't bother bidding. Octopus seem to be looking at this as more of a funded cost-neutral operation which helps customer retention for engaged customers than a profit center.

Upvote 0