Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus GO beware!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd also be curious to your yearly electric consumption... to see if they roll over low power users... but upgrade high power users to the new Tariff...
I don't think so, my 12 month usage is 16MWh & I got rolled over, keeping the 2019 v1 GoFaster rate. I think it's a system error with GoFaster not correctly setting a contract end date. The only email I received from Octupus about my tariff was 2 days before it expired:

Hi xxxxxx,

We thought you should know that on 25th March 2022, you'll reach the end of your fixed term, and automatically moved to Octopus Go Faster: our always great value variable tariff.

Our prices have been adjusted recently to account for the latest changes in wholesale costs. You'll always find the most up-to-date rates in your online account.

You don't need to do anything, but if you'd like to fix your prices, you can do so at any time in your online account.

Good to know: Our Octopus Go Faster has no exit fees, so you're always in control.

I'd also be curious to your yearly electric consumption... to see if they roll over low power users... but upgrade high power users to the new Tariff...

Just to see if there are any patterns?

Relative to the totality of energy resold by octopus, we will all be tiny amounts of consumption regardless.

I think it is purely they were caught out by manually managed "beta" tariffs and a huge shift in the energy market. A shift that few were predicting not so long ago. They only have so many staff and everyone who could assist with a surge of customer service and migrations did.

I say they made a good business decision, the cost of solving the specific issue quickly was probably greater than any short term losses added to the cost of not doing other stuff. An extra year is very short term.

Reactions: PITA and btc1k
Just had the 2 days notice email - "our rates have gone up and you'll roll onto the new go faster rates if you do nothing, click here to see the new rates", of course the new rates aren't shown on that link, but I can accept some flexible rate.

I've written back asking for an explanation and what the new rates are (I'm on the 20:30 3hrs at 4.5p right now)

Just had the 2 days notice email - "our rates have gone up and you'll roll onto the new go faster rates if you do nothing, click here to see the new rates", of course the new rates aren't shown on that link, but I can accept some flexible rate.

I've written back asking for an explanation and what the new rates are (I'm on the 20:30 3hrs at 4.5p right now)
I got the same. Logging in, it shows me on the same rates for another year.

I'm going to follow the advice from others and say nothing and let it roll over. We know that Go Faster has a system error which just rolls over unless there is an intervention.

I think by saying something, you could easily draw the attention of customer support onto it who then manually adjusts it to what it is supposed to be. And I don't want that :eek:

I got the same. Logging in, it shows me on the same rates for another year.

I'm going to follow the advice from others and say nothing and let it roll over. We know that Go Faster has a system error which just rolls over unless there is an intervention.

I think by saying something, you could easily draw the attention of customer support onto it who then manually adjusts it to what it is supposed to be. And I don't want that :eek:
Just refreshed the API and you're correct the new old tariff is loaded from Wednesday for 12 months - bargain

I must admit, I find it quite worrying that Octopus can't sort out price increases!

Surely it's Octopus core business to buy energy and sell energy and make a profit. They don't have that many different tariffs to monitor and reprice.

Renewing Octopus GO faster at last years rates doesn't seem good business practice to me...

I must admit, I find it quite worrying that Octopus can't sort out price increases!

Surely it's Octopus core business to buy energy and sell energy and make a profit. They don't have that many different tariffs to monitor and reprice.

Renewing Octopus GO faster at last years rates doesn't seem good business practice to me...
It's not the price increases, it's the notifications which were the issue

Well there are 140 iterations of Go Faster Dec 2019 for a start...

Apparently, as a beta tariff, managed for the most part manually, with a relatively very small amount of people on it, the IT infrastructure was not in place to give the required notice to the tariff holders. A fix has been put into place for regular GO and will be in place by June for GO Faster...

It's actually cheaper for Octopus to just roll over the tariff holders for another year with the fix in place for June.

As with any business, sometimes you have to make a decision based on "the crocodile closest to the canoe"....

Clearly with onboarding hundreds of thousands of additional customers from failed suppliers, as well as all the other challenges in the energy market, rolling over a tiny % of customers at a loss, to give time for the IT and processes to be refined for the future, doesn't seem so crazy to me.

But then it's simply buying energy and selling it at a profit... "How hard can it be"... 🤣 - Ask the failed companies of which there are many...?

Reactions: Irata and goRt
I'd appreciate that... see what happens...

Just to see if there are any patterns?
Update, I did nothing, said nothing,

GOF rolled over for another 12 months, now April 2023 - 14.7p/5p with a 25p standing charge.

Very pleased :p

Might see if the neighbours want to run an extension lead from my garage 🤣

Update, I did nothing, said nothing,

GOF rolled over for another 12 months, now April 2023 - 14.7p/5p with a 25p standing charge.

Very pleased :p

Might see if the neighbours want to run an extension lead from my garage 🤣
Likewise, I got an email on Monday saying accept the new rates on my account, but there were no new rates or anything to accept.
Could see the deal extended on the API, rolled over onto the 13 month deal this am (3 hrs from 20:30 at 4.5p)

Likewise, I got an email on Monday saying accept the new rates on my account, but there were no new rates or anything to accept.
Could see the deal extended on the API, rolled over onto the 13 month deal this am (3 hrs from 20:30 at 4.5p)
How do I get access to the API? Does it give more information than the app?
I’m on GOF until 14th May.