Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone having difficulty switching at the mo, couple of friends I directed to octopus have come up against brick walls and octopus saying there isn't any point in switching at the moment. Be interested to hear how others getting on in the current climate

Is anyone having difficulty switching at the mo, couple of friends I directed to octopus have come up against brick walls and octopus saying there isn't any point in switching at the moment. Be interested to hear how others getting on in the current climate
For some reason Octopus discourage random switching. However if you say you are moving for a car tariff specifically they may accept the transfer, they did for me, but that was before the government cap and the Octopus fixed tariff changes.

Morning all, I too am thinking of switching to Octopus but trying to work out if it’s worth my while.

Is there a magical formula available to roughly compare my 35.06p shell tariff vs Octopus 44.35 day / 10p night

Thanks in advance

Morning all, I too am thinking of switching to Octopus but trying to work out if it’s worth my while.

Is there a magical formula available to roughly compare my 35.06p shell tariff vs Octopus 44.35 day / 10p night

Thanks in advance

Average annual UK household elec usage: 2900kWh (are you likely to be significantly different from average?).

Household elec cost (assume all consumed in the day, do you use much household elec at night?);
2900 x 35.06 = £1,007 (shell)
2900 x 44.35 = £1,286 (octopus)

So, difference of £281 on household usage, for car usage the cost per kWh difference is 35.06-10=25p/kWh.

Assume 3.8 miles /kWh (reasonable model 3 efficiency).

So break even point on annual mileage would need to be (281/0.25)x3.8=4,270miles.

If your expected annual mileage is around that or more, then switch to octopus.

Reactions: H43lio
Average annual UK household elec usage: 2900kWh (are you likely to be significantly different from average?).

Household elec cost (assume all consumed in the day, do you use much household elec at night?);
2900 x 35.06 = £1,007 (shell)
2900 x 44.35 = £1,286 (octopus)

So, difference of £281 on household usage, for car usage the cost per kWh difference is 35.06-10=25p/kWh.

Assume 3.8 miles /kWh (reasonable model 3 efficiency).

So break even point on annual mileage would need to be (281/0.25)x3.8=4,270miles.

If your expected annual mileage is around that or more, then switch to octopus.
well, it's not entirely correct.

Ideally you would check you daily usage every hr/half hour and apply the rate for each period and get the exact result.

well, it's not entirely correct.

Ideally you would check you daily usage every hr/half hour and apply the rate for each period and get the exact result.
There are assumptions clearly stated. Let me know which bit isn't correct.

(Edit: I suppose the point is a ready reckoner that if expected annual mileage is significantly greater than around say 4000 then not worth the effort going through half hourly data. If it is around 4000 then I agree maybe worth that effort).

Reactions: H43lio

Thanks in advance
The thing to think about, if you can leave your energy hungry things off until it's cheaper. Then you will see the advantage, I already use the dishwasher after midnight before switching and after I should see a drop after.

Thanks in advance

Has several suppliers already listed, but further down the page you can add others. Just need average daily usage figures from your bill

Cheers guys, I appreciate there's no exact science to my question and probably not the best time of year to be trying these sorts of comparisons when the leccy usage is so much higher (or maybe it is 🙃). I'm a newbie to all things EV so very much in the deep end of the pool with no armbands.

I'll definitely be doing more than 4k miles a year

Has several suppliers already listed, but further down the page you can add others. Just need average daily usage figures from your bill
Thats awesome!

No MY RWD on there but would I be right in saying there wouldn't be much of a difference if any compared to a M3 SR?