Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning all, I too am thinking of switching to Octopus but trying to work out if it’s worth my while.

Is there a magical formula available to roughly compare my 35.06p shell tariff vs Octopus 44.35 day / 10p night

Thanks in advance
Yes and it gives you a magic number. Yours is 27%. If you use more than 27% of your energy in your night window on those prices you will break even on a flat rate of 35.06.
Do more than that and you are saving.
I for instance have only 3 hour window but I still manage to use 40-50% of my electricity in that period and I am not a high mileage driver so it is easily possible. Helps to throw dish washer, washing machine etc in during that period and if you can pursue your family to eat dinner at 1am that will also help

• Funny
Reactions: DaveNN and Adopado
Crikey...for anyone switching now looks like the "cheap" is 12p. That's what we used to pay on the high rate when I first joined. And standing charge of 42p a day is taking the p***

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221118_065008_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221118_065008_Chrome.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Lord Farquad
My Go rate ends on 14 December and have just done a calculation from my last total monthly electricity bill. Last bill was £32.59 (for the last 12 months it has always been less than £40/m)
On the new rate it will be £85.85 would have been.
All things considered - I am not complaining in the slightest. My pal at work has to fill his Audi up with diesel twice a month and is costing him circa £222 and he still has his household electricity bill to pay on top of that!!!

I jumped ship to the new Go tariff in August as My5p/14p Go tariff was ending this week.
I thought I’d caught a cold until it all went haywire.
Now I’m glad I’ve got 7.5p/40p until August 23
it’ll be painful after that!

Reactions: Adopado
Im on Octopus Go and want to only charge between 00:30 to 04:30 hrs. On the Tesla app can I set start and stop time accordingly? If not then if I get a Tesla wallcharger can I do it then? Ps Model3 2020 owner.
Regards
No and probably no

You can set a start time and I think a ready by time, but not both.

I’ve not heard of anyone with TWC talk of start/stop charging. I get the impression it’s not as smart as many other charge points available and sounds like it just does bare minimum with user options/smart charging just to stay legal wrt charge point sales.

A few options

Octopus IO - Octopus effectively treat Go as legacy and IO as a better Go.

A different charge point.

Something like TeslaFi that can schedule start / stop times et al.

Use guesstimate of % of charge you will get in 4 hours and adjust every charge. I use to do that but it’s a PITA especially when battery % fluctuates between setting and charge starting.

Im on Octopus Go and want to only charge between 00:30 to 04:30 hrs. On the Tesla app can I set start and stop time accordingly? If not then if I get a Tesla wallcharger can I do it then? Ps Model3 2020 owner.
Regards
4 hour window = approx 40% of the battery, so I just set the charge limit on the screen to 40% above the current charge level. Far from an exact science, but it usually completes just within the 4 hour window. If it goes over by a bit of time, I'm not bothered.