Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus smart meter installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone who is getting a smart meter installed and does not have a whole house isolation switch, its worth asking to have one fitted as it is free when having the smart meter installed and makes working on house electrics safer if you have multiple consumer units - one less excuse for an electrician to use even though pulling the main fuse is widely accepted practice.

That doesn't really tell the story so well ... because it depends on charging the car! If charging the car on a day is way more than you use throughout the rest of the day (which it usually does) then the savings comparison looks very different. (It could be 28kWh at the Go cheap rate and only 6kWh spread over the rest of the day.)
Is this a better example?

upload_2020-8-3_15-45-47.png

Really just wanted to show that there's no need to work out what you would have spent had you been on go instead of agile.

Is this a better example?

View attachment 571922

Really just wanted to show that there's no need to work out what you would have spent had you been on go instead of agile.

It is, though appears to show some life adjustment to keep peaks of consumption either side of the Agile expensive period (unless that is a natural pattern in a household). If that period can be avoided it certainly maximises the Agile advantage. In my own case there may not be the flexibility to avoid the expensive period. Agile would no doubt still be cheaper but 2 or 3 kWh during the expensive period would eat into the advantage. If the Agile rates continue on this current trend I may well give it a shot!

Reactions: Roy W.
3 phase smart meter installation on wednesday ... had to chase and chase to get appointment.
Have a look at this. You should find that it helps with understanding your costs on agile vs go:

Octopus Comparison

View attachment 571911

Great chart. Really shows the differential cost for peak hours.

Does question then become, what is the breakeven / payback period if you go with a powerwall, charge it off peak and never consume peak?

It is, though appears to show some life adjustment to keep peaks of consumption either side of the Agile expensive period (unless that is a natural pattern in a household). If that period can be avoided it certainly maximises the Agile advantage. In my own case there may not be the flexibility to avoid the expensive period. Agile would no doubt still be cheaper but 2 or 3 kWh during the expensive period would eat into the advantage. If the Agile rates continue on this current trend I may well give it a shot!
I use the ev.energy app to manage the best times to charge the car.

Other than that we just avoid putting washing machine, dishwasher or tumble dryer on between 4pm-7pm.

Electric oven has to go on during that time unfortunately as after 7pm is too late to feed the kids dinner.

Had thought about buying a gas oven but then realised I was likely obsessing over it too much :)

@Medved_77 - can I ask where you got this chart from please?

I only switched to Agile last week - the IHD gives me very little, the iPhone app gives me even less & my meter energy summary on the laptop just shows kWh bars for each days energy.

Nothing so far tells me what I've spent except the unofficial Octopus Watch app which I assume includes the £0.21/day standing charge.

I'm also told by Octopus that the IHD will remain very basic & tariff data won't be correct, is that true & will gas ever appear on this?

Not complaining, I just want to have realistic expectations (for now all this is irrelevant because the car & house are running on solar & batteries until later in the Autumn. Gas remains on the tracker tariff & the rate is very low which I'm very happy with)

@Medved_77 - can I ask where you got this chart from please?

I only switched to Agile last week - the IHD gives me very little, the iPhone app gives me even less & my meter energy summary on the laptop just shows kWh bars for each days energy.

Nothing so far tells me what I've spent except the unofficial Octopus Watch app which I assume includes the £0.21/day standing charge.

I'm also told by Octopus that the IHD will remain very basic & tariff data won't be correct, is that true & will gas ever appear on this?

Not complaining, I just want to have realistic expectations (for now all this is irrelevant because the car & house are running on solar & batteries until later in the Autumn. Gas remains on the tracker tariff & the rate is very low which I'm very happy with)
Sure...

Octopus Comparison

Does question then become, what is the breakeven / payback period if you go with a powerwall, charge it off peak and never consume peak?

Never.

Simple maths, a Powerwall will have a usable life expectancy of around say 36000kWh. Keeping it simple and not charging losses are taken in to account and using an average 10p saving per kWh, then the total saving available is £3600. Even if the above assumptions are wrong, they would have to be very wrong to get the numbers to come close to breaking even.