Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus smart meter installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked to them on Friday & they are still not doing any, waiting for it to 'be safe' for their subcontractors to return. They told me they have big backlog.

Frustrating as EV charger installers, electricians, tradesmen and the likes of British Gas seem to be working & have been for a while now

Talked to them on Friday & they are still not doing any, waiting for it to 'be safe' for their subcontractors to return. They told me they have big backlog.

Frustrating as EV charger installers, electricians, tradesmen and the likes of British Gas seem to be working & have been for a while now

There have been instances of Octopus giving refunds to people who have had delays in smart meter installations and who are specifically waiting to transfer onto a Go or Agile EV orientated contract (once you make the transfer). If you end up charging at standard rates it's worth checking out with them about this.

It's not a real issue for me because we have 5kW PV & 6.3kW battery storage - since end Feb have been exporting far more than we use even charging the car (but not driving it much during lockdown).

From March-end September we use virtually no grid power so I only need the Smart meter installed by then to avoid paying a higher rate.

Even worse, I had a smart meter already, switched to them and they can't get it to work and won't even come and look at that. Now I'm stuck on their standard tariff for the foreseeable.
Same here. I requested a smart meter install in October 2019. I now have the meter but it was only smart for 2 days. So still waiting for Go tariff after 9 months. I thought waiting for the car would be the longest part of the whole experience!

• Informative
Reactions: gangzoom
Same here. I requested a smart meter install in October 2019. I now have the meter but it was only smart for 2 days. So still waiting for Go tariff after 9 months. I thought waiting for the car would be the longest part of the whole experience!

Thanks for the info, funny how not many people mention this when trying to convince people to switch to Octopus :).

Thanks for the info, funny how not many people mention this when trying to convince people to switch to Octopus :).

Probably because not many people experience anything like that amount of delay...

Right now though all the energy suppliers are stuck with the same problem that the roving bands of meter installers are all off the road.

If you visit any of the 'energy' forums you'll see that the only people getting meter work done are those who have been cut-off due to a fault or in immanent danger of being cut-off.

At least Octopus can offer the Tracker tariff as an interim step as that does not require a smart meter and of course anyone already on SMETS2 should not need an engineer visit anyway.

Probably because not many people experience anything like that amount of delay...

Right now though all the energy suppliers are stuck with the same problem that the roving bands of meter installers are all off the road.

If you visit any of the 'energy' forums you'll see that the only people getting meter work done are those who have been cut-off due to a fault or in immanent danger of being cut-off.

At least Octopus can offer the Tracker tariff as an interim step as that does not require a smart meter and of course anyone already on SMETS2 should not need an engineer visit anyway.

Mine is SMETS2 and needs an engineer visit, apparently.

Is this an Octopus issue? they don't make the meters or own the network on which they communicate or the systems and servers that collect and distribute the data. I think the issues with Smart meters are industry wide. I planned to get my supplier to fit a smart meter since I was already on their list and then move to Octopus. their subcontractor cancelled my meter installation the day before because the "WAN in my area was too noisy" when I asked how and when that would be resolved they were like. no idea. No smart meter for you. So I switched to Octopus anyway, the equivalent of asking for a second opinion, and after 2 months their contractor came and fitted a meter and it works fine, well for the leccy anyway ( gas is not working smart but I don't really care about that)
Not saying that Octopus's systems/IT systems could not be a factor but I think it's more that Octopus is the only supplier that really gets talked about on here. If someone else was offering a better deal and we were all trying to sign up to them and get smart meters installed I suspect we would be hearing just as many smart meter installation issues with them.

It wasn't an Octopus employee who installed my Smart meter when I joined them. It was a contractor who I presume installs for various different companies. Mine arrived quite promptly but that was way before the recent virus lockdown. I presume Octopus requests the install and is to some extent at the mercy of government regulations and the ability of contractors to carry out the work.

If the SMETS2 meter is working, all they ought to need is the MPAN and serial number. The rest is stuff they can do on their end. Not sure what an engineer visit would accomplish beyond that.

It took a month or so for me to get on Go, and was related to the engineer not providing some information (MTDs?), but it was all resolved remotely. I provided photos of the meter, etc. and kept chasing them.

It wasn't an Octopus employee who installed my Smart meter when I joined them. It was a contractor who I presume installs for various different companies. Mine arrived quite promptly but that was way before the recent virus lockdown. I presume Octopus requests the install and is to some extent at the mercy of government regulations and the ability of contractors to carry out the work.
agreed. My contractor was over hour outside his arrival window and didn't call to let me know. I moaned in passing to Octopus while on a call to them that the communications from the contractor were poor and I nearly missed him and was late for something as a result and that they might want to look into it since it reflects badly on them and they immediately gave me a credit as an apology. I forget how much somewhere from £20-£50 I think but it was a nice gesture I wasn't expecting.