Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kind of messed up that non-Teslas will be getting free NACS adapters but Tesla owners have to pay for CCS capability and adapter.
Have any of the OEMs said the NACS to CCS adapter will be free? Also, since when is Tesla known to be generous with hardware? They don't even include the mobile charger any longer, which all(?) other manufactures still include an equivalent of.

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
Have any of the OEMs said the NACS to CCS adapter will be free? Also, since when is Tesla known to be generous with hardware? They don't even include the mobile charger any longer, which all(?) other manufactures still include an equivalent of.
I haven't been paying close attention to the details, but I thought I heard that Rivian will be providing all of their CCS vehicles a NACS adapater.

Have any of the OEMs said the NACS to CCS adapter will be free?
YEs, Ford and Rivian has said it will be free.

They don't even include the mobile charger any longer, which all(?) other manufactures still include an equivalent of.
Ford no longer includes a mobile EVSE either, at least with the Mach-E. And I think the one GM includes is 120v only.

Perhaps shop around, others make the same CCS adapter Tesla sells:

Well, wanted to test one right away and Tesla do not have them in store, so got one the next day with Amazon Prime. Tested on a CP 62.5 kW unit, worked well, no complaints.

$105.29 Prime special pricing - $10 coupon + sales tax = $103.51.

For those who think non-Tesla brands may not be high quality, seems there are aftermarket J-1772 adapters that say the Tesla version has thinner wire and thus limit charge speed. I guess YMMV.

Reactions: israndy and DuncanM
YEs, Ford and Rivian has said it will be free.

Ford no longer includes a mobile EVSE either, at least with the Mach-E. And I think the one GM includes is 120v only.

Portable EVSE is dual (with 14-50, 32A) with the Bolt EUV. The Bolt hatchback is 120V standard, but you can get the dual for $295 at purchase.
(The 2023 Bolts have a 48A onboard charger, but the portable EVSE is 32A max, as is typical for safety reason.)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
You say that, but I think Tesla did a very clever thing with the chopstick that goes into the CCS Plug when the adapter is locked to the body of the car, I am sure SOMEONE will think of a way to lock a CCS Tesla adapter at either the plug or the car side to prevent it being stolen.

Reactions: GSP
What? This conversation is about adapters for a CCS car to charge at a Supercharger, if your car is CCS you don't need a J1772 adapter, it's already what you have on your charge port.

If you mean the adapter locks like a CCS plug I think the problem is that the adapter is unpowered. This is why the MagicDock adapter locks to the Supercharger plug while it's still in the Dock. It needs power to activate the locking mechanism. I know I just said some genius would figure it out, but saying that it locks like a Tesla adapter locks is wrong. Teslas have the locking tab on the car, CCS plugs have them on the plug. So where will an adapter latch between the lockless CCS charge port and the lockless Supercharger plug?

What? This conversation is about adapters for a CCS car to charge at a Supercharger, if your car is CCS you don't need a J1772 adapter, it's already what you have on your charge port.

If you mean the adapter locks like a CCS plug I think the problem is that the adapter is unpowered. This is why the MagicDock adapter locks to the Supercharger plug while it's still in the Dock. It needs power to activate the locking mechanism. I know I just said some genius would figure it out, but saying that it locks like a Tesla adapter locks is wrong. Teslas have the locking tab on the car, CCS plugs have them on the plug. So where will an adapter latch between the lockless CCS charge port and the lockless Supercharger plug?

Wrong, read the title again.

"OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023"​

Reactions: GSP and DuncanM