Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Off menu" waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I placed my order a little late (11pm on October 26th) ... just heard back today from the Ownership Advisor that they have run out of RWD LR. I asked if it was just my config (Black,18, EAP) or if there were others. He said that they are not matching anymore. Oh well... he who hesitates.
You might call Order Support and ask what the cut off date was for ordering the Long Range off menu.

I'm guessing the 2+ people who got their VINs got them already because they seem to be on the East coast. Remember reading something from Musk recently that said Tesla produces East coast cars earlier in the quarter (presumably to maximize the number of deliveries since the east coast deliveries take longer).

F that off menu non sense. Since they messed up my order from MR to performance?!, I kept bugging my sales guy daily this week to find me a MCR LR inventory. Check in the morning and in the evening. Annoying plus luck, !BINGO! today! Its in route and already have a tentative delivery date to home. But hell no i’m taking delivery at a SC and bringing my magnifying glass. Praying for good qaulity. Pretty please

I haven't heard one WHITE interior RWD get their VIN yet. I ordered mine on 10/15 with black interior, then switched it to white on 10/18 via the edit button. Estimated delivery of Nov 2018, yet still no VIN.

Yeah, not looking good, especially since I've read that they have rejected orders that were RWD with white interior, and an Owner Advisor said it wasn't a possible combination. We may have to settle on black....

FINALLY got my confirm email today of the change from MR to LR. Reflected on my account as well as updated with a Nov 18 expected delivery date.

RWD LR
19” wheels
White interior
Blue Metallic

I've been trying for this combo and keep getting rejected. Can you post your VIN so I can use it as leverage with my order.

Tried Blue Metallic with White interior RWD MR with an upgrade to RWD LR and tried AWD LR with a downgrade to RWD LR. Neither went through. The sales person was able to get it configured as Blue with White interior, we paid, but it was swapped back to All Black before the VIN was issued.

I've been trying for this combo and keep getting rejected. Can you post your VIN so I can use it as leverage with my order.

Tried Blue Metallic with White interior RWD MR with an upgrade to RWD LR and tried AWD LR with a downgrade to RWD LR. Neither went through. The sales person was able to get it configured as Blue with White interior, we paid, but it was swapped back to All Black before the VIN was issued.
Just out of curiosity, how do you get rejected???? Writing, calling, text, etc????

I would start trying to escalate this. White interior became an option for ALL models when the midrange (MR) Model 3 was released on 10/18/2018. The white interior option price was lowered from $1,500 to $1,000 on all Model 3s, all model X and all model S that day. People who had LR RWD on order (but no VIN assigned) could immediately log into their online account and select white interior for $1,000.

Having said that.... I feel like you will not see the LR RWD again in the near future. I believe Tesla is trying to differentiate the Model 3 from the S and X when the Model 3 is superior in most regards (superior in terms of price, performance and range). People are already receiving MR model 3s. I don't believe Tesla factory would attempt to lie to you and tell you they can only put a white interior in a MR car that is $4,000 less than the LR but they can't put it in a Long Range. This looks bad when the AWD and performance AWD both have the Long Range battery pack.

Have you tried calling the sales team at the Fremont factory (google their number). I would ask for the sales manager and start trying to build a relationship with him or her. Tesla can build whatever they want. They make their own seats and they control the assembly line.

It is disappointing that so many of us are having a terrible customer experience trying to order their most popular car. Good luck and keep us posted. There is strength in numbers.

Tesla does not give out a lot of info as to exactly where the manufacturing bottlenecks are. I think that the battery production has not kept of with the car. My guess is they came out with MR to allow for more car production. I think the LR-RWD will return when the battery production increases enough to support the increased car output. Leaked information indicated that additional cell/battery lines are being installed now with startup expected by before Jan 2019.

I get a call from my sales associate. We tried MR with an upgrade and AWD with a downgrade - neither were accepted with the white seats.

We're back to Midnight Silver/Black. If anyone can figure out how to get white seats on a LR RWD, please, please, please post.

From your prior posts it appears that you already had a LR RWD on order prior to 10/18 (the date of the Mid Range release). Other people in your same position were able to log into the online configurator and change their vehicle to have the white interior. None (zero) have been produced to date. Perhaps the fact that you had a VIN assigned indicated that you were going to get a car sitting in inventory or this caused some other problem with your specific order ??

White interior has been available on all Tesla models for $1,000 since 10/18. This includes the Model 3, the Model X and the Model S. Tesla has to make all Mid Range RWD and all new Long Range RWD cars in a new production run so there is no reason to believe they will put white interior in a less expensive Mid Range RWD but not a more expensive Long Range RWD. ANY and all Long Range RWD with a white interior will come in a new production batch that will be made this month - none will exist in prior inventory. Ditto for Mid Range RWD with white interior. Long range RWD was only off menu for ~7 days and if you didn't have an open order / open case for a LR RWD with a white interior you will be out of luck.

I completely agree with you that this is a terrible customer experience you are having. The Owner Advisers, their managers and the entire sales staff seem to have no idea what Elon is doing on any given day.

I would recommend you continue to escalate your case daily. I would also call the Fremont Sale center on a daily basis to establish a relationship with someone there.

I would be nice, but firm, in your position that you are only taking a long range RWD with a white interior and if that means your Sales Advisor has to give you a LR AWD for the cost of your Long Range RWD so be it. The other option Tesla has is to make you an AWD with white and remove the front motor for you. This is a Tesla problem - make it their problem. I would not cave into their circular logic. They have 1 factory that makes all their cars and all their cars are available with white interior for $1,000. If they have to sell you an AWD for the RWD price because someone messed up so be it. It sounds to me like someone messed up and they just aren't telling you.

Last edited:
Yeah, not looking good, especially since I've read that they have rejected orders that were RWD with white interior, and an Owner Advisor said it wasn't a possible combination. We may have to settle on black....
I would stop indicating you are willing to take anything less than your LR RWD with your WHITE interior. Tesla reads these forums. What you should say is that Tesla can sell you the AWD with WHITE interior for the cost of the LR RWD if they aren't willing to give you the white interior on a normal LR RWD. It is one factory making all these vehicles. White is available on every car. Tesla makes their own seats and runs the factory. All Mid Range RWD cars with White interior have to be made. No reason they can't make a long range RWD with White interior unless they have a problem with battery production that they are not disclosing to the general public. I would continue to insist that you get a LR RWD with White interior. If that means they sell you AWD for the price of RWD that is a Tesla problem. (they don't seem to have a problem making AWD with White interior - and RWD is actually easier to make than AWD)

Last edited: