Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Off menu" waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm there is a small (but dwindling) supply of LR RWD with black interiors floating around. My OA was able to locate 5 Midnight Silver, Black Interior, 18" wheel vehicles at various locations around the US. I expect that we're seeing our VINs being assigned from that existing supply rather than from new production at the factory. Cal me skeptical, but I think the "off-menu" ordering was never about a special production run at the factory, but our ability to purchase a LR RWD from the excess supply staged in various locations site the menu option was removed. That is also the likely the reason we're not able to get the white interior with a factory order even when the OA's were able to configure it. They were never produced and (sadly) never will be.

Regardless, the mythical LR RWD with white interior continues to be both unseen and unverified.

I called today, and unfortunately, it seems that even the Sales Support teams are unaware of how it's going to work, with the white interior. They said they would enter an inquiry on my account and that she would work on it and that I should follow up in about a week. I would hope someone who got their order updated would either get a VIN, or get rejected or something, so that we can figure this out.

P.S. the Mid Range folks haven't gotten any VINs with white interior either. Here's hoping our LRs sneak in with theirs (crosses fingers)

Last edited:
Reactions: TallyGator
I called today, and unfortunately, it seems that even the Sales Support teams are unaware of how it's going to work, with the white interior. They said they would enter an inquiry on my account and that she would work on it and that I should follow up in about a week. I would hope someone who got their order updated would either get a VIN, or get rejected or something, so that we can figure this out.

P.S. the Mid Range folks haven't gotten any VINs with white interior either. Here's hoping our LRs sneak in with theirs (crosses fingers)
Keep us updated if/when you get a response. My OA seemed to indicate that the factory was less than forthcoming with any information on LR RWD with White interior beyond a rather abrupt "No".

I'm still waiting to see a change in my account. It has been over two weeks and when I call they say they see my change as pending but they are "really far behind". I'm afraid my order has entered some config change limbo, the normal Tesla number gets nowhere. Anyone have any advice?!

Hey guys, took delivery today and wanted to follow-up on my experience. In summary, everything went rather smoothly!

I was worried about the low VIN (x62xxx) but the manufacturing date was October of 2018. There was 6 miles on the odometer.

Two things:
  • Inspection: The only issue that I could tell from inspection and running thru the checklist was a minor scratch and paint chip. The paint overall was nice, no splotches! There were a lot of marks which I thought were scuff marks but they ended up being glue? which came out with solvent. The DA/SA told me they go a little crazy with the glue gun. Although I'm not sure why it would be on the outside paint area of the vehicle. So they couldn't do the service on the spot but asked me to come back at some point to get it done (They must have been swamped) and in case I discover anything else (hope not!). The bottom bin of the rear trunk was crumpled. It almost looked like someone wrinkled up the fabric and then installed it. DA/SA told me this was normal... The seats back cover was also a bit crumpled at the edge as if it did not fit fully on the seat. DA/SA also told me there wasn't anything out of place in his opinion.
  • Charge: The only other peeve I had was the car was only 50% charged which was probably from the factory. I had scheduled my appointment pretty early in advance but since they were swamped with deliveries (they had actually pulled the plug on my vehicle at some point during my inspection and charged another vehicle, so that reinforced the fact). I would think they would charge it prior to handing it over to you. You get a full tank of gas normally in a new car right?? It charged to about 60% when I finished signing but they pretty much shooed me out. I had a referral when I ordered but they couldn't even tell me if I had free 6 months supercharger credit available. Kinda annoying!
Notables:
  • I was told that there is an emergency door opening mechanism in the front doors however that doesn't push the windows down when the door opens. This would damage the chrome trim, if used, and to me is a bit of a design flaw. Given that there will be almost no circumstance in which you'll ever need to use the manual release, I would have thought that prior to losing all charge or at low charge, it would move the front two windows down before/in case the electric door fails.
  • The trunk needs to be fully closed especially during rain. If not, rain WILL get into the trunk. If you were out in the pouring rain, rain would be pouring into your trunk from the rear view glass with the trunk door open. This is a definite design flaw.
  • Tesla really needs to improve with their delivery / service of the vehicles. In my case it the gripes were minor so I did not mind. But imagine when they get a lot more cars sold. Can you imagine how long you have to wait for service?
  • Car drives and handles pretty much like what I remember during my test drive: fast, efficient, and tight. The regenerative braking almost does most of the car braking so that will take some getting used to.
Overall I'm super pleased with the delivery timing! I ordered the car on 10/25/18. I had changed from MR to LR RWD same day. It took less than two weeks for me to get my vehicle. My configuration was:
LR RWD, Solid Black, Black Interior, 18" Aero, NO EAP, Day 1 reservation holder, selected cash (but financed on my own thru credit union). Filled out all information requested on the website as soon as I could (license, insurance (generic), etc). So pretty vanilla (not sure if that helped).

Hope you guys get your vehicles soon!

Congratulations.. I would be bummed about the charge too. What is your configuration?

Hey guys, took delivery today and wanted to follow-up on my experience. In summary, everything went rather smoothly!

I was worried about the low VIN (x62xxx) but the manufacturing date was October of 2018. There was 6 miles on the odometer.

Two things:
  • Inspection: The only issue that I could tell from inspection and running thru the checklist was a minor scratch and paint chip. The paint overall was nice, no splotches! There were a lot of marks which I thought were scuff marks but they ended up being glue? which came out with solvent. The DA/SA told me they go a little crazy with the glue gun. Although I'm not sure why it would be on the outside paint area of the vehicle. So they couldn't do the service on the spot but asked me to come back at some point to get it done (They must have been swamped) and in case I discover anything else (hope not!). The bottom bin of the rear trunk was crumpled. It almost looked like someone wrinkled up the fabric and then installed it. DA/SA told me this was normal... The seats back cover was also a bit crumpled at the edge as if it did not fit fully on the seat. DA/SA also told me there wasn't anything out of place in his opinion.
  • Charge: The only other peeve I had was the car was only 50% charged which was probably from the factory. I had scheduled my appointment pretty early in advance but since they were swamped with deliveries (they had actually pulled the plug on my vehicle at some point during my inspection and charged another vehicle, so that reinforced the fact). I would think they would charge it prior to handing it over to you. You get a full tank of gas normally in a new car right?? It charged to about 60% when I finished signing but they pretty much shooed me out. I had a referral when I ordered but they couldn't even tell me if I had free 6 months supercharger credit available. Kinda annoying!
Notables:
  • I was told that there is an emergency door opening mechanism in the front doors however that doesn't push the windows down when the door opens. This would damage the chrome trim, if used, and to me is a bit of a design flaw. Given that there will be almost no circumstance in which you'll ever need to use the manual release, I would have thought that prior to losing all charge or at low charge, it would move the front two windows down before/in case the electric door fails.
  • The trunk needs to be fully closed especially during rain. If not, rain WILL get into the trunk. If you were out in the pouring rain, rain would be pouring into your trunk from the rear view glass with the trunk door open. This is a definite design flaw.
  • Tesla really needs to improve with their delivery / service of the vehicles. In my case it the gripes were minor so I did not mind. But imagine when they get a lot more cars sold. Can you imagine how long you have to wait for service?
  • Car drives and handles pretty much like what I remember during my test drive: fast, efficient, and tight. The regenerative braking almost does most of the car braking so that will take some getting used to.
Overall I'm super pleased with the delivery timing! I ordered the car on 10/25/18. I had changed from MR to LR RWD same day. It took less than two weeks for me to get my vehicle. My configuration was:
LR RWD, Solid Black, Black Interior, 18" Aero, NO EAP, Day 1 reservation holder, selected cash (but financed on my own thru credit union). Filled out all information requested on the website as soon as I could (license, insurance (generic), etc). So pretty vanilla (not sure if that helped).

Two things:
Notables:

I ordered LR RWD , midnight silver, black int.,18", eap on oct 21.. delivery scheduled for Nov 8. Tesla called at 6pm tonight to confirm an item on my paper work and I got the following info: the car was built in Oct., it shipped by rail to Birmingham, by truck to Tysons Corner and is currently on a carrier to Richmond. My s# is 1022xx, so there is no question that they have jumbled up the vin #, probably to confuse the production trackers.
Wish me luck on Thursday, I have a 170 mile drive home.

Last edited:
I ordered LR RWD , midnight silver, black int.,18", eap on oct 21.. delivery scheduled for Nov 8. Tesla called at 6pm tonight to confirm an item on my paper work and I got the following info: the car was built in Oct., it shipped by rail to Birmingham, by truck to Tysons Corner and is currently on a carrier to Richmond. My s# is 1022xx, so there is no question that they have jumbled up the vin #, probably to confuse the production trackers.
Wish me luck on Friday, I have a 170 mile drive home.

Good luck Pete.

Wish me luck on Thursday, I have a 170 mile drive home.

Good Luck!

I'm

Nice. Congrats. Config and order date???? Also, don't forget to enter your info in the tracker, please.

Ordered Lemur 10/19 no prior reservation.

Reached out and told advisor I was open to LR when I considered distance, performance and upgrade cost.

Matched up 3-4 days later, requested delivery this week as I had a car to sell which was unloaded today.

Pickup is tmw

White, Black seats, aero , EAP added few days ago.

Vin 62xxx

Financing check in hand as of today, I reserve the right to walk away if I must based on finish or issues,

Ordered Lemur 10/19 no prior reservation.

Reached out and told advisor I was open to LR when I considered distance, performance and upgrade cost.

Matched up 3-4 days later, requested delivery this week as I had a car to sell which was unloaded today.

Pickup is tmw

White, Black seats, aero , EAP added few days ago.

Vin 62xxx

Financing check in hand as of today, I reserve the right to walk away if I must based on finish or issues,
Nice. Congrats and good luck. Don't forget to fill us in on how it goes!!!!

Finally got my VIN, 109XXX range. DS do not have production date but will check with OA to see if he has that info.

Doing home delivery (scheduled for Nov 12) as the nearest SC is 4 hours away and I can't take a full day off anytime soon.