Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'Trump is afraid': MSNBC panel reacts to reported Trump-Musk meeting (2 hrs ago)

This 'MSNBC panel is afraid' that Elon could buy himself a President of the U.S.
The panel had some great points, including an obvious question overlooked by many
Musk sycophants (personal bias -- I drink the Tesla koolaid but not the Musk koolaid) ...

... Why would EM jeopardize mega billions in IRA rebates for $7500 point-of-sale,
$ for EV charging infrastructure buildout, SpaceX contracts for military space launches
(there are not many other possibilities outside of Russia here, anyway)
to donate to a complete loser like the Mango Mussolini who couldn't make recompense
for *anything* after losing the upcoming election.

The risk of donating to a GOP someone who *might* delay a personal wealth tax for the megarich,
or getting more Saudi business, or being more "right-to-work" friendly, or whatever does not outweigh
the risk in biting the hand that feeds existing govt. largesse.

Although I use eX-Twitter to track Tesla developments, I don't
follow Elon Musk there largely because his output is so voluminous
and anything important will be reported elsewhere. Of late, the
best info comes from Tesla executives.

Further, many eX-Twitter followers are disconcerted by the sheer amount
of misinformation that Elon himself posts, but the Community Notes
feature is lame and untimely.

Here's an FYI about an extremely prolific fact-checker who is determined
to illuminate in context his own "Community Notes" about EM's
misleading posts. That would be Seth Abramson, a former university
professor and attorney who has generated much in the way of indie journalism
about Trump often not covered by the mainstream.

I think it's quite visible because he has a "reach" of nearly 900,000.
I agree with Abramson's take (though not on car/stock matters), but
I hope he doesn't have to make a career out of it!

Another bit -- he's planning to write an unflattering book about Musk
in contrast to Walter Isaacson's tome. Elon is stubborn enough not to care,
but sometimes I wish the TSLA BOD would offer EM a cool billion just to
not post cringeworthy items; he'd probably decline an entreaty like this.

There is a huge market in the US for EVs. Just look at how sad US adoption is compared to Norway or even the UK. Physics is not different in the US, and frankly electricity is cheaper there, and solar+wind potential is higher.
The US MEDIA does a great job at spinning a negative narrative about EVs, but its fighting a losing battle. I can't say for sure that Kim Cardassian tweeting constantly in front of her cybertruck marks a turning point, but it certainly cannot hurt.
Every Tesla sold in the US creates a new roving billboard and evangelist for EVs. The most iconic new vehicle in a decade is an EV. The media are fighting a losing battle.
There's a large portion of the population that are against EVs as a political stance. I don't know if that exist in the same way outside of the US.

The FUD they spread are just shitposting/talking points from them. They don't care if you dispute their "facts", they claim they won't buy an EV until it goes 500 miles on a charge and it charges in less than 5 min, but the truth is they've included it into their political persona that EVs are bad and the government is forcing them as a form of control.

There's also a portion that drive long distances daily for work. They think or feel that they would need to charge daily. I can't tell you how many say they drive 250 miles a day to and from the office. Most places of business do not have chargers.

Regardless of the accuracy of their qualms, there are special circumstances in the US compared to many other places like Norway that put a ceiling on EV sales.

Edit: These people appear to be the biggest haters of the CT. It's ugly, breaks down all the time, stainless is rusting, expensive, can't tow...etc. etc. etc.

I can assure you that Trump and many others on the right will campaign against EVs, EV credits, and EPA standards.

A Pew Research poll said that 70% of republicans are unlikely to consider an EV.

Another poll said that 67% of Republicans would never own an EV.

That's a large portion by many definitions of the word. I didn't say majority.

From 2019 (5 years ago), another poll found it was 65% Republicans are unlikely to buy an EV:

I'm not sure if Pew has done the same poll in the past that you're linking to...

A Pew Research poll said that 70% of republicans are unlikely to consider an EV.

Another poll said that 67% of Republicans would never own an EV.

That's a large portion by many definitions of the word. I didn't say majority.

In the last election 74.2 million voted Republican. The adult US population is ~335 million.

A large portion of the adult population of the US buy cars and DO NOT VOTE AT ALL. (supporting how discussing the effects of politics on EV sales will have little useful purpose in this forum)

That 70% you state is only 22% 15% of the adult population, and, I'd wager that not all of them fit the criteria that they would never own an EV.

If 50% did feel that way (which is likely gonna be a stretch) that would only be 11% 7.5% of the adult population of the United States. I would consider that a portion, but not a large portion of people politically motivated to avoid purchasing an EV.

Would you like fries with that Nothingburger?

Edit: Forgot to calculate down to 70% of 74.2M of those who voted Republican. Now corrected

Last edited:
In the last election 74.2 million voted Republican. The adult US population is ~335 million.

That 70% you state is only 22% of the adult population, and, I'd wager that not all of them fit the criteria that they would never own an EV.

If 50% did feel that way (which is likely gonna be a stretch) that would only be 11% of the adult population of the united states. I would consider that a portion, but not a large portion.
Way to completely miss the point and then oddly try mental gymnastics to argue that isn't a large number. Again, no one said majority.

There are barriers in the US that are special to our political climate. EVs in general have become a campaign talking point on the right because of the passion.

That's why we see so much FUD on EVs in general, because media sells click bate to echo chambers. If EVs weren't a political topic, you don't think adoption would be far higher? If you do, you agree with my point.

Yet some people on this site who appear to be committed to the "mission" seem upset or baffled that Elon is courting Conservatives?
I think because Elon is extremely popular with this group, but they are still against EVs.

FWIW, I don't think Elon has shifted right publicly to sell more cars, nor do I believe we can prove a significant impact on sales from his public shift.