Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
#ParleysCanyonFire Is being updated, on twitter

Indeed, the CATALYTIC converter started 4 fires along the road throwing off sparks it seems; must have been in poor working order. Not sure if Utah allows vehicles to not need smog checks so you have many dangerous ICE vehicles on the road. With the fire dangers it might be wise to get them off the highways.

"NASA says the exact amount of forest burnt so far this year across Russia is difficult to determine, but estimates show the emissions since June total more than 505 megatons of carbon dioxide equivalent.

'The 2020 fire season was very severe, but the estimated total carbon dioxide equivalent came to 450 megatons for the entire season,' wrote NASA."

After a search, 500 megatons equates to:

~ 126 coal plants firing non-stop for a year
~ 91 million homes’ electricity consumption over a year
~ 109 million passenger vehicles create per year from driving

You guys realize, that Rimac is as much an OEM as they are a Tier-1 supplier for many other car companies?

The notion that Rimac as a Tier-1 supplier is a PR fantasy they've been pushing since 2017. Rimac produces a KERS system for the upcoming Aston Martin Valkeryie (a $3M gas-powered hybrid w. no plugin). They plan to make 150 Coupes, and 85 Sypder total. But the KERS system is a very small contribution to this very small production plan:

Rimac futher claims a technical partnership with Automobili Pininfarina, whose 1st-ever product, the Battista, will be based on the Nevera powertrain (1st announced in 2018). They're latest PR says:

• Hand-built hyper GT ready for first buyers later this year
  • No two the same, thanks to Bespoke programme
  • Near-1900bhp, sub-2.0sec 0-62mph, price around €2m
Rimac has done a few race-only one-offs with partners, supplies parts to a few racing teams, and that's pretty much it since their inception in 2009. So their production consists mostly of:

Concept One:
  • $1.6 M dollars
  • Total Production (2011-2017): 8 units.
Nevera:
  • $3.0 M dollars
  • Total Production (2022-2024): 150 planned
In comparison, Carroll Shelby produced 348 copies of the 427 Cobra from 1965 to 1967 (also handbuilts). That's the time-scale and production-volume that Mate Rimac may match if he hustles.

But Rimac is moving in the wrong direction in the market price-wise, doubling from it's 1st model to the 2nd. Elon was very specific that the purpose of the original Tesla Roadster was to fund the R&D for an affordable sedan, and that one would fund an even more affordable car. Night and Day difference in marketing plan vs Rimac.

Elon meanwhile casts his gaze on slightly larger fish. Model 2 will be a tsunami felt around the world when it rolls ashore by 2024. Toyota and VW sit squarely in the tsunami hazard zone, and they had best hustle to prepare. Rimac, at best, can be part of the incoming tide.

Last edited:
The notion that Rimac as a Tier-1 supplier is a PR fantasy they've been pushing since 2017. Rimac produces a KERS system for the upcoming Aston Martin Valkeryie (a $3M gas-powered hybrid w. no plugin). They plan to make 150 Coupes, and 85 Sypder total. But the KERS system is a very small contribution to this very small production plan:

Rimac futher claims a technical partnership with Automobili Pininfarina, whose 1st-ever product, the Battista, will be based on the Nevera powertrain (1st announced in 2018). They're latest PR says:

• Hand-built hyper GT ready for first buyers later this year
  • No two the same, thanks to Bespoke programme
  • Near-1900bhp, sub-2.0sec 0-62mph, price around €2m
Rimac has done a few race-only one-offs with partners, supplies parts to a few racing teams, and that's pretty much it since their inception in 2009. So their production consists mostly of:

Concept One:
  • $1.6 M dollars
  • Total Production (2011-2017): 8 units.
Nevera:
  • $3.0 M dollars
  • Total Production (2022-2024): 150 planned
In comparison, Carroll Shelby produced 348 copies of the 427 Cobra from 1965 to 1967 (also handbuilts). That's the time-scale and production-volume that Mate Rimac may match if he hustles.

But Rimac is moving in the wrong direction in the market price-wise, doubling from it's 1st model to the 2nd. Elon was very specific that the purpose of the original Tesla Roadster was to fund the R&D for an affordable sedan, and that one would fund an even more affordable car. Night and Day difference in marketing plan vs Rimac.

Elon meanwhile casts his gaze on slightly larger fish. Model 2 will be a tsunami felt around the world when it rolls ashore by 2024. Toyota and VW sit squarely in the tsunami hazard zone, and they had best hustle to prepare. Rimac, at best, can be part of the incoming tide.
They actually have done a bit bigger tasks as well.
They built the electric drivetrain for Köenigsegg and apparently they were involved with the Taycan.
They also claim to work with many big brands although the extent is unknown:
Rimac Technology - Rimac Automobili

Reactions: JRP3
I'd assume the converter fell down and was dragging throwing sparks.

Do you have evidence?

I wonder if they cite or arrest those who caused the fire. If it was the catalytic converter itself than individual might not get in trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have evidence?

I wonder if they cite or arrest those who caused the fire. If it was the catalytic converter itself than individual might not get in trouble.
As I said it was an assumption. I can't think of any other way a converter would throw sparks. I doubt it could produce them internally and even if so they would have to travel through an exhaust pipe, a muffler, and a tailpipe.

As I said it was an assumption. I can't think of any other way a converter would throw sparks. I doubt it could produce them internally and even if so they would have to travel through an exhaust pipe, a muffler, and a tailpipe.

Assumptions can cause problems. Here is a video that shows CATALYTIC converters can and do spark fires. The owner of the car could be liable .
THIS IS FROM OVER 3 YEARS AGO. Why aren't the government agency that investigate autos and fires doing anything about this *sugar*?

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
These ICE vehicles should be prohibited from driving on our highways as they are like fire bombs.
I have read that Catalytic converters are being Stolen from cars because they are valuable with precious metals(requiring MINING). I guess EV batteries are peanuts compared with wasteful use of these metals in CATALYTIC converters. Add more costs to ICE vehicles. About $3500 to replace a RAM catalytic converter, not sure if that includes labor. Fords run about $2000 or more.

PS I like that they changed my word to sugar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Screenshot_20210816-190800~2.png

... "That's why my federal agencies will do everything possible to slow the progress of the only American company not waiting to tackle the climate crisis." 🤷‍♂️

This makes me sad and depressed. 😔

Hi Y'all just back from a 2.5 week trip to West Virginia Coal country and Blue Ridge Parkway in NC ... some observations

1) I took my Toyota 4 Runner as the locations i was going required 4WD high clearance (I want/need my CT ;) )

2) once i got out of PA not many Tesla's on the mountain highways ...

3) I have never really felt range anxiety in NY/NJ area with my model S even in the Catskill Mountains ; however, the mountains of WV, NC, TN, VA would have induced quite a bit of range anxiety ...the supercharger network might work for transit routes in these mountains ; however, day trips to hikes and local travel on the Blue Ridge Parkway and New River Gorge would not work for me , i am not sure i would even have been fully comfortable in a new Model S with 400 miles range
4) Some of the WV state parks had Tesla destination chargers , which was quite surprising for Coal country ....

my key takeaways:

1) Even if clearance was not an issue ... I would have regretted taking my Model S on this trip , it just does not have enough range for a sparse charging network as in Blue Ridge Mountains , Black Mountains and New River Gorge.

2) I wonder if CT would have made this trip any different ... not sure as i would have had to drive significant distances out of my trip plan to reach superchargers /etc. we need a lot more supercharges before a Tesla can handle a trip like this IMO ... there would be too much wasted time at and reaching superchargers.

3) I am not convinced i can get rid of my ICE vehicle yet ... which is a shame :(

4) I Did see a model Y at grandfather mountain in NC ... and it was surrounded by onlookers etc.... the owner was yelling at here friends in an ICE vehicle " where did you take me" ....as they yucked it up.... it turned out there was an EV charger at the visitor center ...

anyway what did I miss? looks like i am back in time for some discounted shares and the FUD machine is back in full force
Hey that I my country and I have traveled many a road there in my Model 3. All major routs are covered with SuperChargers and quite a few level 2 chargers.