Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Story going around about a Tesla that survived machine gun fire.

"This is the amazing story of how Tesla saved the life of one of the first Israelis to face Hamas. The story appeared on Walla website"

View attachment 982017

Walk around video at ----------------------
This is not how C, a resident of Kibbutz Mefalsim, planned to spend last Shabbat. But minutes after the Hamas forces invaded the settlements outside Gaza, C, a member of the settlement's emergency squad, was called to an incident. He rushed to his Tesla Model 3 Performance and started driving to the assembly point. His Apple Watch was stopped by a shrapnel at 6:50.
Photos that appeared for the first time on the Tesla Israel Telegram channel document what happened next. Speaking from Sheba Hospital where he is hospitalized after a series of head and hand surgeries, he spoke about a drive he will never forget.

"The terrorists recognized me from a distance of 10 yards. In addition to their Kalashnikovs, they had a machine gun that fired bullets of a larger caliber. They did not realize that it was an EV, so they shot at the front, hoping to hit the engine that wasn't there, and at the back, trying to set the fuel tank on fire. Of course there was also no fuel tank. They shot my tires. I pressed the accelerator, and they started chasing me."

In this battle it was a Toyota truck against one driver in a private car. But it was also a chase between a diesel truck with about 150 hp, against an electric sedan with more than 530 hp and dual drive. About 15 well-armed terrorists facing a wounded, but determined driver, who found himself fighting for his life hundreds of meters from his home.

"They shot my tires, but the acceleration of the Tesla is amazing even in this situation, and the dual drive managed to keep me on the road. I quickly got away from them, but I realized that I had to get to the hospital as soon as possible and I drove at a speed of 112 mph with flat tires. The tires started to crumble, but the dual drive balanced out the wheels, some of which were already on the rims. According to the app, I continued to drive at around 110 mph."

C had already made the journey from Barzilai Hospital in Ashkelon in an ambulance, after the bullet-riddled Tesla managed to bring him to the hospital gates. Although about 100 bullet holes were counted in the car, the front window remained cracked all the way but did not disintegrate. The windows of the doors were smashed by the rescue teams who rushed to get him out and transfer him to treatment.
"Bullets hit my legs and hand, got one in the skull and I was also hit by shrapnel. But my head works, and motivation kept me on the road and even now in the hospital. The car continued to drive, the battery didn't heat up, but it took a lot of damage. There is no part that didn't take a bullet. It still drives if you press the pedal, but it seems to me that I should already be thinking about my next Tesla."
--------------

This is such a horrible situation, but it got me thinking how popular Cybertrucks will be in places like Israel. It's sad that a major selling point will be "bullet-proof", but that's the world we live in.

I'm turning 40 in 2024 and just got started on planning for what I want to do between 2024 - 2034 (when I turn 50).

Through this process, I realized that we'll likely have people and/or robots on Mars by 2034. It made me think of looking back from 2014 - 2024 and see that decades really aren't that long in the grand scheme of things. Go Starship!

Unless you live, and drive in European cities on a daily basis, its very hard to appreciate what a big deal this is. I had the misfortune to have to drive to London today. Some scuffed wheels later, I am reminded yet again, that a Tesla model Y with NO parking sensors is a real liability in narrow London streets and tiny parking spaces.
I've visited the US a lot. Us drivers have NO IDEA how much space you have in your roads and parking spaces compared to Europe. Its not an evil FUD conspiracy that results in people constantly mentioning this. Its just a *different* road environment. Dropping parking sensors is one of the biggest own-goals in Tesla history. Dropping stalks will be the next one. Absolute madness. To save maybe £300 on £45,000 cars. At LEAST give European drivers an option to pay the £300 foir stalks+ sensors. Then Tesla will have data. Elon likes (and trusts) data...
I agree Cliff. I don't do it every day but I have plenty of experience driving in very tight roads in the cities and the countryside in Europe. My latest experience was in Cornwall, where, once off the A30 the very narrow roads and high hedgerows make for very interesting driving.

For those of us so limited, there are:

Ask me how I know?
Am I the only one around here who just uses a Sharpie pen to cover up curb rash?
The "third-party opportunity" only seems to convert scuffed metal to scuffed nylon.
Or, maybe it's just time to bring back real curb feelers:

Last edited:
Am I the only one around here who just uses a Sharpie pen to cover up curb rash?
The "third-party opportunity" only seems to convert scuffed metal to scuffed nylon.
Or, maybe it's just time to bring back real curb feelers:
Is it weird that I still remember the sound they make when it must be close to 60 years since I've seen one?
(I would have been 7)

dood, he's said "dangerous and repetitive jobs" and been consistent about it
Like driving in commuter traffic. There are jobs that simply dont require heading into the office every day. The commute just makes life harder for people, more costly for people, traffic worse (especially in USA where public transportation sucks), and more dangerous. I also think this is just one way he rants about people purchasing fewer cars. When he should be investing in fighting the FUD of EV cars. It is amazing how much petroleum and traditional manufacturers are paying to get articles written and pushed on media sites including Twitter.

Like driving in commuter traffic. There are jobs that simply dont require heading into the office every day. The commute just makes life harder for people, more costly for people, traffic worse (especially in USA where public transportation sucks), and more dangerous. I also think this is just one way he rants about people purchasing fewer cars. When he should be investing in fighting the FUD of EV cars. It is amazing how much petroleum and traditional manufacturers are paying to get articles written and pushed on media sites including Twitter.
Since you are going on this tangent, and don't appear to get off it, I'll reply.

Workers in remote work scenarios are LESS productive than those that come to the office. This has been borne out repeatedly in various studies. The below articles reference the most recent study from Stanford, a well-performed study.

As someone that runs a company with lots of tech jobs, I've seen this for a very long time, long before the pandemic.

Simply put - people by default (not judgement) are lazy, they generally will do the least amount of work they think they can get away with. Even when you set CLEAR expectations for work and productivity markers required for promotion, they will complain that they didn't get a promotion/raise and blame it on their boss (and some bosses do suck) but they don't want to take personal responsibility that their actions might, just MIGHT be the reason they didn't move up the ladder. This is a CULTURE problem in the USA. I don't have this problem in my company with my employees outside of the USA. Work ethic (and NOT "slaving" people - compensating fairly for their work) is just eroding rapidly in the USA. Case in point - Berlin and Shanghai Model Y fit and finish is PERFECT. Put those cars next to one from Fremont, and they make it look poor by comparison. The product is the same. The employee and their pride in their work, not the same.

TL;DR - people need someone to watch over their shoulder to make sure work gets done, very few people actually can thrive with increased productivity in the WFH scenario. That's simply a fact.

Since you are going on this tangent, and don't appear to get off it, I'll reply.

Workers in remote work scenarios are LESS productive than those that come to the office. This has been borne out repeatedly in various studies. The below articles reference the most recent study from Stanford, a well-performed study.

As someone that runs a company with lots of tech jobs, I've seen this for a very long time, long before the pandemic.

Simply put - people by default (not judgement) are lazy, they generally will do the least amount of work they think they can get away with. Even when you set CLEAR expectations for work and productivity markers required for promotion, they will complain that they didn't get a promotion/raise and blame it on their boss (and some bosses do suck) but they don't want to take personal responsibility that their actions might, just MIGHT be the reason they didn't move up the ladder. This is a CULTURE problem in the USA. I don't have this problem in my company with my employees outside of the USA. Work ethic (and NOT "slaving" people - compensating fairly for their work) is just eroding rapidly in the USA. Case in point - Berlin and Shanghai Model Y fit and finish is PERFECT. Put those cars next to one from Fremont, and they make it look poor by comparison. The product is the same. The employee and their pride in their work, not the same.

TL;DR - people need someone to watch over their shoulder to make sure work gets done, very few people actually can thrive with increased productivity in the WFH scenario. That's simply a fact.
You know the least productive time of the day for people. Spending an hour each way driving. Not just the time driving, but the time getting the head on straight after the aggravation of driving or other forms of commuting. My wife works for Avanade and although we live in a close in suburb to Chicago. When she has to head into office it is a 3 hour commute commitment by train. Not to mention the added expectation of business attire and prep, especially for a woman. That time isnt very productive.

You know the least productive time of the day for people. Spending an hour each way driving. Not just the time driving, but the time getting the head on straight after the aggravation of driving or other forms of commuting.

As typical, you exaggerate. Typical commute time in the USA is 26.6 minutes.

As typical, you exaggerate. Typical commute time in the USA is 26.6 minutes.
Yeah the people that work in my local McDonalds, Starbucks and other low wage retail business have commutes measured in minutes.