Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Concerning, and it seems not rational that there is no place where we can discuss this issue. Some of us, as investors, are concerned about it.

What prevents anyone from starting a new thread?

I think on the weekends @Buckminster gives lessons on how to do that.

Edit: Hey! This thread ought to do the trick! (you can thank me later @Buckminster ...)

Last edited:
Then go open your own thread to discuss and if you’re able to keep it civil I’m sure the mods will leave you alone.

The cryptic posts don’t help. Either bite the bullet and for real discuss it here risking a ban or go someplace else it’s allowed. The continued whining about what you or others think should be allowed or not allowed is childish.

Novel idea, go start your own public forum then decide the rules for yourself. You know very well why it’s not to be discussed here.

I've also heard that ECKS.com encourages folks to share such discussion and opinions without worry of censorship...

🦆 🦆 🦆 (Ducks)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: madodel
Politicians who absolutely hate and despise each other, and massively disagree on absolutely everything, regularly share a stage to discuss issues. I really dont care who Elon 'shares a stage' with. If he started stating that he was personally backing an extremist and divisive politician with actual major financial donations, then that would be different.
Elon is always encouraging politicians from all over the political spectrum to get involved in discussions on X. One side of the political spectrum seem to be more open to this than the other, but that is hardly his fault.

Apparently people are now being asked to prepare to take delivery of their cybertrucks. I consider this may more interesting as an investor than other X chit chat :D.

Many subjects deserve a little bit more thoughts than been considered too political, controversial, or not first world problem....

One current issue, IMO, is the Union situation in Northen Europe, which is a kind of double edge issue.
I don't think that anyone would be again providing better job quality and stability to workers,
but on the other way if an industry starts been not competitive and colapse, there will be no more job at all.
The Britsh car industry who was very prominent in the past could be provided as an example.

I want that version of Elon back 🥰

What do you mean? Elon's enemies have spent billions attempting to kill that young man's dreams, to prevent them from becoming reality, to slow them down so much that regular people give up hope.. It's the only way fossil fools can continue to live their old way, and they're prepared to fight to the end.

Instead of whining about wanting to "discuss" (really, rant) & getting your panties in a wad time and again, just sell your Tesla stock and you'll have no worries about key man stuff.
I’m sorry but “Just sell your Tesla stock” is the single most BS response to people raising concerns about how a company they invest in is being run. Its insipid and adds absolutely nothing to the debate.

I’m sorry but “Just sell your Tesla stock” is the single most BS response to people raising concerns about how a company they invest in is being run. Its insipid and adds absolutely nothing to the debate.

Well, that, or, maybe it is an indication that they aren't as concerned as you about such trifles.

The fact that it "is the single most BS response" indicates you have heard it multiple times. Further exemplifying how your concerns may not be those of many/most of the folks participating in this forum.

Beyond that, your current avatar takes it to the next level, showing just how completely you are dissociated from the forum to the point that when multiple folks criticize your views you assume THEY must be in a cult.

Has it crossed your mind that it might be you who is the one that is swimming upstream, against the tide, as you continue to lash out in frustration over the rest of us being unable to buy in to whatever minor cult it is you are promoting? 🤷‍♂️

[American-centric as it is a Robinhood offer] -

Has anyone taken advantage of the 1% unlimited bonus for transfers of brokerage accounts? The fine print did not seem too bad considering the offer (Requires 2years in taxable account, 5years in the non-taxable (IRA/401K) accounts). Seems crazy good for those of us who are equity heavy...

Robinhood link:

So I used the phrase "flyover country" today and someone said it was political.

"Flyover country and flyover states are American phrases describing the parts of the contiguous United States between the East and the West Coasts. The origins of the phrases and the attitudes of their supposed users are a source of debate in American culture; the terms are often regarded as pejoratives, but are sometimes "reclaimed" and used defensively.[1] The terms refer to the interior regions of the country passed over during transcontinental flights"

I'm saying it's a phrase that has roots in the 1800s but took a slightly different flavor after commercial airfare from New York to Los Angeles became common
  • 1932 – First scheduled cross-country through passenger flights (no change of plane).
  • 1933 – Transcontinental passenger flights in as little as 20 hours on the Boeing 247.
  • 1934 – First three-stop airline flights (TWA DC-2s).
Businessmen could fly across the country instead of driving, leaving anything between NY and CA airports as "flyover". No big deal, just the same as how "route 66" waned after faster travel became a thing.

To me this term is barely less neutral than the phrase "Continental US" or "Midwest" and I've heard it since I was a child growing up in TN. I've seen it in mass media, on the internet, never thought much about it other than we are the land between the coasts.

Am I being gaslighted here or do you think "flyover country" is a lightning rod worthy of derailing a thread?

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
So I used the phrase "flyover country" today and someone said it was political.

"Flyover country and flyover states are American phrases describing the parts of the contiguous United States between the East and the West Coasts. The origins of the phrases and the attitudes of their supposed users are a source of debate in American culture; the terms are often regarded as pejoratives, but are sometimes "reclaimed" and used defensively.[1] The terms refer to the interior regions of the country passed over during transcontinental flights"

I'm saying it's a phrase that has roots in the 1800s but took a slightly different flavor after commercial airfare from New York to Los Angeles became common
  • 1932 – First scheduled cross-country through passenger flights (no change of plane).
  • 1933 – Transcontinental passenger flights in as little as 20 hours on the Boeing 247.
  • 1934 – First three-stop airline flights (TWA DC-2s).
Businessmen could fly across the country instead of driving, leaving anything between NY and CA airports as "flyover". No big deal, just the same as how "route 66" waned after faster travel became a thing.

To me this term is barely less neutral than the phrase "Continental US" or "Midwest" and I've heard it since I was a child growing up in TN. I've seen it in mass media, on the internet, never thought much about it other than we are the land between the coasts.

Am I being gaslighted here or do you think "flyover country" is a lightning rod worthy of derailing a thread?

I do not consider that term to be political at all. Condescending? Perhaps. Political? No way.

Reactions: philw1776
I've only ever heard the term used pejoratively. It was me who deleted the post.

The person that reported it claimed some modern politician coined the phrase. Which is false. It's existed for hundreds of years.

He wouldn't even tell me who he was referencing so I suppose he thinks I'm on that side of the political spectrum but I'm not using it in a political sense so I have no idea which side he thinks I'm on.

Here is a few quotes about it's more modern usage.

“It’s a stereotype of other people’s stereotypes,” lexicographer Ben Zimmer says. But it’s not as if the stereotypes are entirely imagined. Zimmer says the concept behind flyover country is present in older phrases, like middle America, “which has been used to talk about, geographically, the middle part of the U.S. since 1924, but then also has this idea of not only the geographic middle but the economic and social middle of the country as well, that kind of middle-ness that’s associated with the Midwest.” Another term for the same place, Zimmer notes, is heartland, which is “for people who want to valorize a particular social or political value.”
Hence the self-coining of flyover country—it’s a way for Midwesterners (and Southerners and people from the plains and mountains) to define themselves relative to the rest of the country. It’s defensive but self-deprecating, a way of shouting out for attention but also a means for identifying yourself by your home region’s lack of attention. It’s the linguistic nexus of Minnesota nice and Iowa stubborn. This self-identification has become a celebration. The country singer Jason Aldean angrily defended flyover states in a hit single, while indie singer Pokey LaFarge has reveled in his region’s slightly inconvenient time zone. (Both, perhaps, responses to the Talking Heads’ 1978 song “The Big Country,” which is—likely sarcastically—sung from the perspective of a person flying over the heartland.)

Is there a bit of rubbing between the classes and the coasts? Maybe, but I never considered it a highly political term and man did it push that guys buttons.

I've used that term online countless times before (including several times on TMC) and this was the first time anyone had ever objected to it's use.

and even now after all the time I've spent looking for references and thinking about it. I don't find it an emotionally charged or politically charged word. It's just shorthand for me so I can say "areas of the country not on the west coast, east coast, or gulf coast, and excluding Alaska and Hawaii" without having to type such a long and cumbersome phrase.

Last edited: