Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic posts about student debt forgiveness (many snippy)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No she pays her debts. Your people are above the hoi polloi that strive mightily to get ahead and chose humanity instead of profit as a major. Sorry that you look down on people who save your a**

If she's an RN, she should easily be able to get a position with a good salary that would allow her to fully pay off her student loan. That's a WELL PAYING job. Go do travelling nursing for 6 months and you can wipe out 50k or more of student loans easily.

And you have egg on your face trying to judge me. I may have money now, but I didn't grow up with a silver spoon. I grew up in family that was poor when I was young, that worked their way up to middle class. I had jobs since I was 12 (mowing lawns) up till I could legally get a real job (roofing houses, laying brick, and washing dishes). I VALUED an education and went to a school too expensive for my family to pay for, so I made up the difference for what they could not pay for, and I had a job throughout school.

I'm also from your state (TN), so I am very familiar with most of the mentality there. I'm surprised you would judge someone like this so quickly, that's not indicative of the people I know from that area and how they view life.

And since you cast the stone: I choose humanity every opportunity I get, and understand the opportunities I had and took advantage of. 15% of my family's income goes to charity each year, charities that we vet to make sure they do the most with the money (not give people fat salaries).

Care to throw any more stones?

We're off-topic, but as someone that worked HARD to pay all his student debt off, and has a wife that did the same thing, I'm going to be seriously pissed if the gov is just handing out money for people that made bad life choices (picked an "unmarketable" major that they can't get a job with, etc.).
I enlisted in the Army for 4 years to get the G.I. Bill and save money for college. I want 4 very difficult years of my life back. :mad:

If she's an RN, she should easily be able to get a position with a good salary that would allow her to fully pay off her student loan. That's a WELL PAYING job. Go do travelling nursing for 6 months and you can wipe out 50k or more of student loans easily.

And you have egg on your face trying to judge me. I may have money now, but I didn't grow up with a silver spoon. I grew up in family that was poor when I was young, that worked their way up to middle class. I had jobs since I was 12 (mowing lawns) up till I could legally get a real job (roofing houses, laying brick, and washing dishes). I VALUED an education and went to a school too expensive for my family to pay for, so I made up the difference for what they could not pay for, and I had a job throughout school.

I'm also from your state (TN), so I am very familiar with most of the mentality there. I'm surprised you would judge someone like this so quickly, that's not indicative of the people I know from that area and how they view life.

And since you cast the stone: I choose humanity every opportunity I get, and understand the opportunities I had and took advantage of. 15% of my family's income goes to charity each year, charities that we vet to make sure they do the most with the money (not give people fat salaries).

Care to throw any more stones?
Sorry you feel that way. I guess we must disagree about society's obligations.

Sorry you feel that way. I guess we must disagree about society's obligations.

I'm curious about something. This is a Tesla forum. People have expensive cars in their profile pics, multiple cars listed in their tag line, etc... Yet they are talking about how much debt their kids have from school.

Do parents not feel an obligation to help their children with college anymore? Why is college cost a societal obligation but not a parental one first?

Since were talking about Betastarships purposeful derailment topic…..
For two years I lived in a concrete room with no running water and lugged a massive camping jug. I used this to wash “the dish”. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

“Don’t forget to do the dish after dinner.”

One day something changed, I met someone who opened a door and a career occurred.

Fast forward to today, things are decent, I have been lucky enough to have helped on projects for 4 U.S. presidents, 5 if you include “45”.

There is no free lunch for the majority. Be thankful that the government is attempting to help people, don’t be bitter y’all!
I am eternally grateful that Elon and Tesla will push me further ahead than even those who started out on the straight and narrow. My willpower got me this far, now… TSLA Take The Wheel!
Congrats to all the longs, another split will be in the bag tmrw and we restart all over again!

This will go parabolic soon, hoping for some dovish words by Jpow @ Jackson hole.

Don't hate, people. It is called life. Some get lucky, some don't. I understand that student loan situation is very unfortunate. Some had spent 350,000 to get college done. I know a few 50 year olds that still pay their debt.

It is the corrupt organizations that have set this up. No bankruptcy applies in those cases. The only ones who suffer are the kids who have been forced to get those loans from the mob.

This applies to many other aspects of our lives. Some pay a lot to live, some pay nothing and live better than those who work and pay their debts. Life, life.

Trying drinking cold beer in your living room at Penn State in February with no money for heating oil!

We put blankets over our legs, four across on the sofa for warmth, with a portable heater under the blanket. AND WE LIKED IT!

SNL-Dana-Carvey-Grumpy-Old-man.jpg

Last edited:
I'm curious about something. This is a Tesla forum. People have expensive cars in their profile pics, multiple cars listed in their tag line, etc... Yet they are talking about how much debt their kids have from school.

Do parents not feel an obligation to help their children with college anymore? Why is college cost a societal obligation but not a parental one first?
People have a great variety of beliefs as to what is the right way to support their kids. I didn't retire until I had an extra $1M to spend on college for my four kids, just in case they all ended up going to expensive schools. The disadvantage of retiring early, at least in this respect, is that you pretty much have to have so much money saved up that your kids won't be getting any financial aid.

It ended up costing me a lot less than $1M though. My oldest didn't bother with college and jumped right into Silicon Valley startup land. My youngest is just graduating now, twelve years after I retired.

The reason I decided to pay for my kids' college was that I think significant debt seriously biases post-graduation decisions in a very bad way. Starting out clean is much more likely to lead to a good life.

Trying drinking cold beer in your living room at Penn State in February with no money for oil heat!

We put blankets over our legs, four across on the sofa for warmth, with a portable heater under the blanket. AND WE LIKED IT!

View attachment 844380
That brings back memories. Back then I was listening to Ugly Kid Joe, living in IV going to SB, then a year later I landed in State College in the worst freaking winter ever. The dumbest thing that I ever saw when I first arrived was that there were dudes going about their business in shorts in the middle of a blizzard! Years later I was doing the same thing, funny how you can get used to a thing.

And you have egg on your face trying to judge me. I may have money now, but I didn't grow up with a silver spoon....

Man, what a terrifying dream. I was drifting off to sleep when suddenly I was visited by the ghost of @bkp_duke's grandfather, piping mad that he had to go to war and his grandson didn't. The ghost bellowed: "Why should he get to live in peace when I had to crawl through mud to fight Nazis!" (or maybe it was Koreans; I don't remember).

Then ANOTHER ghost appeared, the grandfather of the first one, piping mad because HE had to live on a farm with a woodstove and no running water. He bellowed at the first ghost: "Why should you get a shiny toilet when I had to hike to an outhouse!"

Then ANOTHER ghost appeared, piping mad because he had to cross the Atlantic in a creaky wooden ship and fight injuns and cholera and a whole lotta other unpleasantness. Then I looked and saw a long line of ghosts stretching back to hunter-gatherer days, all piping mad at each other.

So I bellowed: "THAT'S NOTHING! Your descendant owns two luxury cars and a stock that will make him richer than your wildest, most feverish cholera-dreams, yet he STILL is piping mad if somebody is given something that he had to work for." And all the ghosts disappeared in a puff of rage.

Man, what a terrifying dream. I was drifting off to sleep when suddenly I was visited by the ghost of @bkp_duke's grandfather, piping mad that he had to go to war and his grandson didn't. The ghost bellowed: "Why should he get to live in peace when I had to crawl through mud to fight Nazis!" (or maybe it was Koreans; I don't remember).

Then ANOTHER ghost appeared, the grandfather of the first one, piping mad because HE had to live on a farm with a woodstove and no running water. He bellowed at the first ghost: "Why should you get a shiny toilet when I had to hike to an outhouse!"

Then ANOTHER ghost appeared, piping mad because he had to cross the Atlantic in a creaky wooden ship and fight injuns and cholera and a whole lotta other unpleasantness. Then I looked and saw a long line of ghosts stretching back to hunter-gatherer days, all piping mad at each other.

So I bellowed: "THAT'S NOTHING! Your descendant owns two luxury cars and a stock that will make him richer than your wildest, most feverish cholera-dreams, yet he STILL is piping mad if somebody is given something that he had to work for." And all the ghosts disappeared in a puff of rage.

What a load of crap.

First, college for me was more like 35k/yr. And I had to work during college to pay for part of it, and a lot more work later to finish paying it off.

Second, if you want colleges to STOP GOUGING for tuition, etc. the LAST thing you should do is hand them money. Notice that in all of this "forgiveness", there is nothing that puts any kind of cap on costs, on the rate of rise of costs, etc. We're just bailing out the kids. The schools already got the money, and as you correctly pointed out THIS DOES NOTHING to address the underlying problem.

It's literally, about the stupidest thing that you could do.

The ONE exception I could get behind are those "for profit" colleges that have gone under that were clearly scams. The students should not be held responsible for a "fraudulently sold" education.
All caps is shouting. Whatever your personal views, there is no reason to shout at a member of this board for expressing theirs.