Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question for @Krugerrand @Artful Dodger and other ailurophile members here:
Why are only two cat oriented vehicle brands have BEV?
Only Peugeot View attachment 842625
and Jaguar seem to have BEV offerings AFAIK.
The Peugeot ones (and those of the non-cat Stellantis brands like Fiat, Opel, Vauxhall,etc) seem to have decent success:
Stellantis Overtakes Tesla In Europe EV Sales, Targets Top Spothttps://insideevs.com › News

But Jaguar seems to have fizzled after an early start (I almost bought one).

So, on this quiet Friday pre-split day, why cannot cats succeed rather more in BEV adoption?😹

But remember... The Tesla logo is a cat's nose.

The Peugeot ones (and those of the non-cat Stellantis brands like Fiat, Opel, Vauxhall,etc) seem to have decent success:
Stellantis Overtakes Tesla In Europe EV Sales, Targets Top Spothttps://insideevs.com › News

So, on this quiet Friday pre-split day, why cannot cats succeed rather more in BEV adoption?😹
Yeah, that’s not getting you any brownie points.

Regarding the "Cat Brand" quandary, it would seem prudent to point out how cats sleep like, what?, 20 hours a day, and when they are awake it seems they may often enough have LSD in their bloodstream.

These traits are not conducive toward inspired engineering breakthroughs, nor increasing production line efficiency. 🤷‍♂️

The fact that you still can't help but like them thwarts any potential strategy one then might develop to change them. 🐈

Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 9.02.30 AM.png

Three.
AND includes the all-important bathroom floor crunchy-stuff pickerupper in the bow.

Just a memory.
I took a long trip in my P85D soon after I bought it. I landed in Columbus, Ohio where I had a client, so the car stay a while. As I was setting off to make the return trip my car had an update to make. I was blown away since I knew that updates existed but had not had anything much. This one included autopilot, for the very first time. I was elated as I began the long trip from Columbus, Ohio to Miami, Florida.

It actually kept lanes!! Imaginer that!! The near Cincinnati there was road construction, but the new autopilot managed the diversions. my confidence was high.

A day alter, another construction diversion and it did not manage so well, so I narrowly avoided a major collision with a bridge pier under construction.

Probably this is relevant to nothing much. To me it reminds me what an autopilot is and does.
I had two prior overconfident near disasters.

First, my first airplane was a Trinidad TB-21. It could go high, and had supplemental oxygen since it was not pressurized. I was making a coast to coast trip, my first since getting an IFR rating. I brought along a less experienced polio friend (less experienced than me!! I had less than 200 hours flying). Flying along near Dodge City, Kansas my friend accidentally disconnected the autopilot while we were in clouds at FL210, the highest I had ever flown. I recovered, my friend was terrified (I wasn't??). Then I learned not to trust a convenient co-pilot.

Second, I owned a Lear 25D equipped with the 'marvelous' APS 80 autopilot, a huge advance over the OEM monstrosity, but still with a single point of failure. Flying along peacefully at FL410 one day, the point of failure happened and I suddenly had no autopilot. In that model the autopilot was required at above FL350 because that aircraft had a notoriously tiny 'coffin corner'. There I was hand flying, suddenly, at max Mach and FL410 with a tiny, tiny coffin corner. In the end I managed a descent, lived, but never again thought an autopilot was anything beyond and
aid to a pilot.

When I think of Tesla Autopilot I recall those two indcidences with airp[lanes and my first near miss with a Tesla.

Moral: Always pay attention. There is nothing wrong with the name. There is often something wrong with operators.

FWIW, I have never again made those mistakes but I have had other people who were making those mistakes crash into me, once. I had another person driving my car who did not pay attention and severely damaged my five day old P3D. The car was repaired and was great. Not so much was I happy with that person.

Moral Again: ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION: anything man-made can and will fail.

Really worth a read. Money quote:

"There is a substantial amount of disease spreading in our communities. This will likely get worse this winter. The best thing you can do is to keep up with all vaccinations."

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
Ok then. So it's capital loss. No one has ever been able to take a $44B tax write off since no ones ever been rich enough to have a $44B tax bill. But Elon at some point will. Not the options but regular shares sold to finance Mars.

He would probably have to do the full $44B himself since the co-financiers might not be so keen on this idea.

I assume a tax write off is usable for a number of years forward? So he really could buy Twitter, shut it down, and in the end get all the money back.

This plan gets better and better.

Maybe this is why Elon is firing all his lawyers? Because they can't come up with brilliant plans like this /S
Capital losses can carry forward, but only offset capital gains and up to $3k of regular income per year. So it would never help option exercise, but would offset gain on sales of long held shares.

Still not a great plan since he's losing money just to offset tax on gaining money.

Mod, you can delete my question if it's way too off-topic ;)

1) With Starlink having the most advanced antennas soon orbiting our planet and able to pick up any low signal:
Isn't this system capable of spying on almost every electronic device on earth that emits electro-magnetic signals and isn't in a Faraday cage?

2) I expect a new wave of FUD articles to pop-up coming weeks on how Starlink satellites cause pollution and the increased risk of space debris. Especially from those news agencies owned by big cable network companies 😁

Last edited:
But that guy - Ronald Drimmel - makes a lot of good points. The number of Starship launches needed to get a viable constellation is truly mind boggling and the impact on our atmosphere is not going to be negligible.
No, that guy is just spreading FUD, no different from people spreading FUD about electric cars like "electric cars produce more tire and brake pollution" or "electric cars take more resources/energy to build".

The # of Starship launches needed to maintain the constellation is only around 100 launches per year, that's not mind boggling big. In the early 80s Soviet Union regularly do around 100 launches per year, granted their launch vehicle is smaller than Starship, but they also burn kerosene which is dirtier than the methane Starship used.