Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the normal maintenance items that they will handle? I just don't see $600 worth of service for the vehicle per year with no synthetic oil to change, etc. Am I missing something? Just have a few more days to purchase the service plan. Any ideas on real cost to do necessary maintenance or what is required?

Just read through the PDF again and I haven't a clue what is going to take 4 hours to complete. Are they going to remove the inverter, gearbox and motor for inspection/cleaning?

Got an email yesterday that service plans aren't available in CT due to legal restrictions. That sucks... so looks like I'm paying as I go.

I made the same choice consciously despite having the service plans available to me in CA. Ignoring the ranger service aspect (that I don't need), it made no sense (to me) to commit $1,900 upfront rather than an inflation-weakened $600 per each of 4 visits spread over (up to) 4 years. The $500 difference can be made up by investing it wisely elsewhere.

And, I'm counting on the assumption that Tesla will get severe blowback from thousands of owners if they choose to raise the per-visit fee beyond $600. If anything, that fee should go down with time particularly when the X comes along and more importantly, Gen 3 with its potentially wider and cost-sensitive target audience.

Just read through the PDF again and I haven't a clue what is going to take 4 hours to complete. Are they going to remove the inverter, gearbox and motor for inspection/cleaning?

If i go by the annual inspections they have done on my Roadster, they do take some things apart and check connections, wiring, brakes, PEM, battery etc. Plus, if anything needs changing or fixing, they will do it. It's a fixed, average time model they use. Most luxury brands have a fixed cost annual maintenance where they check things out. They have a list of 1000 items, most of which are a 1 minute check but they go through it. I, for one, know that annual fixed, peace of mind cost, of $500 is equal or better than what my Mercedes or BMWs used to be so I have no complaints. $500 to make sure the car is top shape is very acceptable in this market especially.

I made the same choice consciously despite having the service plans available to me in CA. Ignoring the ranger service aspect (that I don't need), it made no sense (to me) to commit $1,900 upfront rather than an inflation-weakened $600 per each of 4 visits spread over (up to) 4 years. The $500 difference can be made up by investing it wisely elsewhere.

And, I'm counting on the assumption that Tesla will get severe blowback from thousands of owners if they choose to raise the per-visit fee beyond $600. If anything, that fee should go down with time particularly when the X comes along and more importantly, Gen 3 with its potentially wider and cost-sensitive target audience.

Yeah I am heavily leaning to pay as you go method. I highly doubt that the service cost will go up in 2.5 years (I'll get to 50k miles easily by then) and am secretly hoping it goes down. Not to mention if you get rid or your car gets crashed you aren't out $1900.

If i go by the annual inspections they have done on my Roadster, they do take some things apart and check connections, wiring, brakes, PEM, battery etc. Plus, if anything needs changing or fixing, they will do it. It's a fixed, average time model they use. Most luxury brands have a fixed cost annual maintenance where they check things out. They have a list of 1000 items, most of which are a 1 minute check but they go through it. I, for one, know that annual fixed, peace of mind cost, of $500 is equal or better than what my Mercedes or BMWs used to be so I have no complaints. $500 to make sure the car is top shape is very acceptable in this market especially.

I'm with you znino, and to me it represents peace of mind and cost of having a Service Center nearby. Though I'm not going to take the Ranger extra if they have loaners I can pick up. Will sign up by end of week.

I'm with you znino, and to me it represents peace of mind and cost of having a Service Center nearby. Though I'm not going to take the Ranger extra if they have loaners I can pick up. Will sign up by end of week.

Additionally, the prepaid services are transferrable should you ever sell the car. That is a great selling point when dealing with bleeding edge technology. Just makes the car that much more valuable as a used car with the only potential expense being tires. RNG

Sorry if I am slow to the program, but did they get rid of the Tire and Wheel Replacement Program? I don't see it under my Services Sign Up button. Not sure if I would sign up for it...just thinking about it. but if it no longer exists, then it is one less thing I would need strain my noodles on.

Sorry if I am slow to the program, but did they get rid of the Tire and Wheel Replacement Program? I don't see it under my Services Sign Up button. Not sure if I would sign up for it...just thinking about it. but if it no longer exists, then it is one less thing I would need strain my noodles on.

Yes, they did get rid of the tire and wheel program.

Regarding paying as you go for service after 4 years: What effect will this have on software/firmware updates? If you are not part of an ongoing service plan will you no longer get software/firmware updates? Or will you only get them when you take your car in for service? This seems to me to be unanswered at this stage and the main incentive for buying the 8 year plan.

Yes, they did get rid of the tire and wheel program.
They did? Hm...

TireAndWheelReplacementProgramPurchased.png

Brianman, That looks like an old snapshot. Do you find it posted anywhere now? Tire and Wheel replacement program is no longer listed under Service Plans on Tesla site. Posts on Tesla forum indicate Ownership Services was contacted and they confirm this has been dropped. Would be interesting to see how many folks here have also contacted Tesla directly for confirmation.

I received an e-mail from Tesla confirming that the Wheel and Tire Package has been discontinued, but that Tesla will honor the plan for customers who purchased it.

I will be waiting for today's service announcement - and make a decision to purchase my service plans.

The Wheel and Tire Package has a 30 day full refund - so I have a little time to decide if I want to keep it or get money back. Will be taking my Model S in for service today (spoiler's here!) and will be talking to them about the service/tire plans.

I received an e-mail from Tesla confirming that the Wheel and Tire Package has been discontinued, but that Tesla will honor the plan for customers who purchased it.

I will be waiting for today's service announcement - and make a decision to purchase my service plans.

The Wheel and Tire Package has a 30 day full refund - so I have a little time to decide if I want to keep it or get money back. Will be taking my Model S in for service today (spoiler's here!) and will be talking to them about the service/tire plans.

Im glad I purchased one!
Ive posted on this thread before praising these tire/wheel insurance programs. It pays for itself multiple times over! (It did when I had the tire insurance on my BMW 335).
If you bought it you must have a history of getting flats in which case...KEEP IT!!! It's a no brainer! Have you gone around and tried buying a 21" tire for the MS? NOT CHEAP! 2 flat tires in 4 years will pay it off! I had way more flats than that on my BMW over 3 yrs (although that was with those crappy run flats!)

Regarding paying as you go for service after 4 years: What effect will this have on software/firmware updates? If you are not part of an ongoing service plan will you no longer get software/firmware updates? Or will you only get them when you take your car in for service? This seems to me to be unanswered at this stage and the main incentive for buying the 8 year plan.

Even the annual pay-as-you-go option is considered a "service plan". No concerns about not getting s/w updates.

Tesla Service | Tesla Motors

Brianman, That looks like an old snapshot. Do you find it posted anywhere now? Tire and Wheel replacement program is no longer listed under Service Plans on Tesla site. Posts on Tesla forum indicate Ownership Services was contacted and they confirm this has been dropped. Would be interesting to see how many folks here have also contacted Tesla directly for confirmation.
That's a screenshot from my My Tesla last night. Notice the "Purchased" portion.