Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a long conversation with my local service manager about the service announcement and the service plans. The most interesting points (which seem to contradict what some posters have heard from other Tesla employees on the subject) are these:

1) Ranger and Valet services are sort of two sides of the same coin: if you buy an Anywhere plan, you'll either get a Ranger visit (but no loaner) or Valet service (to come get your car and leave you a loaner). However, if the they have to send a flatbed to get your car, you won't get a loaner delivered by valet. If you don't buy an Anywhere plan, you would pay the $100 Ranger fee for either a ranger visit or the valet service (they'll call it a convenience fee, but it's the same $100). Of course, if you bring your car in to the SC for a service that will take longer than the threshold, you'll get a loaner at no charge.

2) Those of you who are driving less than 12,500 mi/yr and were hoping to stretch out your 4-year service plan by having your car serviced at 12,500 mile intervals are likely to lose one or more of your four service visits (on the 4-year plan) because it will expire at the end of four calendar years.

I think that's an accurate transcription of my conversation. If that's not what you were told, I'd get on the horn again to Tesla and try to find somebody willing to put in writing what you thought you heard.

I asked at the Santana Row store a few days ago and heard basically the opposite of what stevezzzz just heard, though the guy in the store straight-up told me that they hadn't been given all the FAQs that they wanted.

Really a shame they can't get us the answers before the time is up to decide on a service plan. How the valet services are handled could change which one I want...

2) Those of you who are driving less than 12,500 mi/yr and were hoping to stretch out your 4-year service plan by having your car serviced at 12,500 mile intervals are likely to lose one or more of your four service visits (on the 4-year plan) because it will expire at the end of four calendar years.

Yesterday I had a long conversation with someone at TM. While paying for visits not received seems wrong(!) to me, I received the same information as stevezzzz. The service plan is very specific: 4 years, 50k miles (4+4, 50k+50k). The contract makes no mention of a specific visit count.

In summary, TM will back the car for practically every issue if their service plan is followed, and the plan overlaps with a warranty. I wouldn't expect any more or any less. There's no free lunch.

If you don't buy an Anywhere plan, you would pay the $100 Ranger fee for either a ranger visit or the valet service (they'll call it a convenience fee, but it's the same $100). Of course, if you bring your car in to the SC for a service that will take longer than the threshold, you'll get a loaner at no charge.

If this is true, then if they have to flatbed the car but I am willing to get a ride to the service center to pick up a loaner (or if the tow driver will let me ride with him) then I'd get the loaner at no charge also (assuming a service longer than the threshold)?

It's really unfortunate we have to guess at the specifics of these offerings and can't see official detailed specifications, and we are getting conflicting information. TM needs to make a lot of improvements to their communications skills.

Ditto - I went 4+4

Yesterday I had a long conversation with someone at TM. While paying for visits not received seems wrong(!) to me, I received the same information as stevezzzz. The service plan is very specific: 4 years, 50k miles (4+4, 50k+50k). The contract makes no mention of a specific visit count.

In summary, TM will back the car for practically every issue if their service plan is followed, and the plan overlaps with a warranty. I wouldn't expect any more or any less. There's no free lunch.

Spoke with Luke at TM; the value of the 4+4 service plan seems okay to me - excellent if it keeps this (awesome) car flying for 100K miles without incident. I have a sense, having interacted with Tesla for 4 years now as a consumer, that those who order a service plan will not be under-appreciated, and that those who do not will not be abandoned. But I would rather feel well-appreciated than just not abandoned. And I want this car to run beautifully for many years. This company - had you noticed? - is second to none in attempts to make service right.

I just signed up for the 4+4.
Will add the 4-year Extended Warranty later. I think that is particularly important, IMHO, and under-discussed here.

If you don't buy an Anywhere plan, you would pay the $100 Ranger fee for either a ranger visit or the valet service (they'll call it a convenience fee, but it's the same $100). Of course, if you bring your car in to the SC for a service that will take longer than the threshold, you'll get a loaner at no charge.

Hey Steve, I do not get this sentence.... If you dont buy the Anywhere plan you are saying that the Valet service costs $100 each time? Didn't they say that they would bring you the loaner for free to your home or office? If they do charge $100 to people without prepaid ranger service then this would make sense but it was my understanding (and hence my confusion) that the valet service was free of charge.

I think today's the deadline for everyone who took delivery prior to April?! I'll let you know tomorrow :)

View attachment 21067

The countdown's gone and I can apparently still purchase if I want to!

zeroday.png

Hey Steve, I do not get this sentence.... If you dont buy the Anywhere plan you are saying that the Valet service costs $100 each time? Didn't they say that they would bring you the loaner for free to your home or office? If they do charge $100 to people without prepaid ranger service then this would make sense but it was my understanding (and hence my confusion) that the valet service was free of charge.

I believe what Steve is implying is that the four hour service threshold to get a loaner still applies, unlees you spring for the Anywhere plan.

From the service agreement accessible from the service sign up page on mytesla:

A loaner vehicle will be provided to You if Your scheduled maintenance is being performed at a Tesla
Authorized Service Center and Tesla estimates that it will take over four hours to complete. A loaner
vehicle will not be provided for Tesla Ranger service.

I wound up going with the 4+4, despite my view that the basic annual check-up is likely unnecessary beyond tire/wheel maintenance, which I would be doing twice a year anyway. What ultimately swayed me was the change in annual service focus away from maintenance toward vehicle enhancement, which I see as a clear value-add. To earlier posts in this thread, I don't expect anything major that would be considered a premium option on a new build, but I'm hoping they keep us up to date on most of the features going in as standard. Now I just hope they deliver!

From the service agreement accessible from the service sign up page on mytesla:

A loaner vehicle will be provided to You if Your scheduled maintenance is being performed at a Tesla
Authorized Service Center and Tesla estimates that it will take over four hours to complete. A loaner
vehicle will not be provided for Tesla Ranger service.

Yes i see that on my service agreement as well but this was drafted before anything about the Valet service was announced or even existed. Loaner Model S and Valet options just didnt exist for anyone, Ranger customers or otherwise. My point is that if i pay for ranger service and the repair takes more than 4 hours, there is absolutely no reason for them to penalize me and not valet a loaner for free just like anyone else. It would make no sense to tell people "you are paying so that you do not have to go to the service center PLUS too bad for you if it more than 4 hours, you will be without a car, however, your neighbor who has not paid for ranger service will get a loaner and will not have to go to the service center either". I have spoken to ownership today about this and their view was that indeed, ranger or not, if you are without the car for a long period of time, it would make sense to offer a loaner.

From talking with a couple people at the Santana Row store, it sounded like the valet loaners were available to anyone "close enough" to a service center even without the anywhere plan - rangers are still intended primarily for people far from a service center. Ranger visits are mutually exclusive to the loaners since the point of rangers is that they don't need to take the car anywhere, while the loaners are for them to take the car back to the service center.

It definitely sounded like things are still somewhat in flux, so I think anything we hear needs to be taken with an appropriate grain of salt until the details are official.

I don't pretend to understand it, but this is what I think I was told. As others have said, I think we will have to wait for clarity.