Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Thread: Cybertruck (Cybrtrk) Event - Nov 21, 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
{I} dont think that most pickup trucks are purchased for that reason.

We have a thing in the UK called 'Chelsea Tractors'. It's where people buy large SUVs and 4x4s solely to then take them on the school run. Some of it is perhaps the increased ride-height commanding a better view of the road, but I think 99% of it is braggadocio.

People want the biggest, meanest, most awesome looking smack-down in the High School 'My Ride is Cooler Than Yours' stakes.

Reactions: thx1139
We have a thing in the UK called 'Chelsea Tractors'. It's where people buy large SUVs and 4x4s solely to then take them on the school run. Some of it is perhaps the increased ride-height commanding a better view of the road, but I think 99% of it is braggadocio.

People want the biggest, meanest, most awesome looking smack-down in the High School 'My Ride is Cooler Than Yours' stakes.

In the US it's the ”brodozer” or ”mall crawler.”

Reactions: Lasairfion
If I force myself to appreciate the dystopian design and the functionality, then the only thing that really bothers me is the pointy roof. If they would have flattened that out, or done almost anything else, I think I could see myself in one eventually.

Reactions: OPRCE
When I first saw it last night I was very disappointed in the design, but after looking at the order website it is looking better to me. I like the exoskeleton concept and bullet proof glass,... That's made for America! Wish that was a joke. As with the other Tesla vehicles this is going to evolve some before it goes to production. And to be able to get on the waiting list for a mere $100 (refundable, too!) is a no-brainer to me. It's worth that just to irritate my super conservative friends by telling them I ordered one, when they ask how I like it. My hope is Tesla will offer the dual motor version with the 500 mile battery.

When I first saw it last night I was very disappointed in the design, but after looking at the order website it is looking better to me. I like the exoskeleton concept and bullet proof glass,... That's made for America! Wish that was a joke. As with the other Tesla vehicles this is going to evolve some before it goes to production. And to be able to get on the waiting list for a mere $100 (refundable, too!) is a no-brainer to me. It's worth that just to irritate my super conservative friends by telling them I ordered one, when they ask how I like it. My hope is Tesla will offer the dual motor version with the 500 mile battery.
Yes, this thing is going to be the new official dictator's car! Safe, with bulletproof glass, and so hideous that no one could possibly think there would be a president or dictator in there!

Many people will reconsider later what they wrote tonight.

Personally I won't buy it and don't like the look but I don't need a truck or utility anyway so there is no surprise. If I would need one the design would be for me a negative though liking more the Rivian style but the specs, functionality, range and price are a convincing proposition for many people, use cases and places on earth or of course Mars.

The battery technology and costs is on a new level which is amazing and good news for all as this will move into more mainstream vehicles soon. Thats a strong positive for the future of Tesla and for investors.

I am surprised how many people like the truck and ordered it right away despite my reservations if it will be ever more than a vehicle for a small group of people or more.

Twitter reactions do speak a positive language though and although its polarizing it will find people loving it. The market segment addressed is a complete different one than what we have seen before which is another positive as Tesla will be looked at from people who blocked before Superchargers.

What we can say already though is that Elon made good on all of his promises and he did do what he said he will. Bold move as they could have done a mainstream design but decided doing something no one could really imagine.

This is in development and its too early to conclude what happened tonight and if we have seen a top or a flop.

hagenbaden on Twitter

I'm pretty critical and I look for the worst. The best reviews of any product don't tell you much. The worst reviews are either 1. legit problems. or 2. people complaining about dumb 1st world stuff. Ive been saying here for years: give me durability, capability, 500mi range and a 50k price tag and I'll get in line. But omg no, I can't go down this rabbit hole. The positive reviews, like the test ride videos, are millenial non-truck owners. They aren't looking at this thing the same way we/me/truck owners do.

They aren't looking at this thing the same way we/me/truck owners do.

Then I wonder, how do truck/pickup truck people see it?
-for me, I did preorder 2 of the cybertruck trimotor, one for my company and one privately.
Already have a model s.
Reasons for me was:

Company reasons
*our service van do already run on overweight, and therefore have less towing capacity.
*service and running costs VS diesel service van.
*not worry about scratches in the paint.
*towing capacity.
*rear bed with lid, perfect for putting in drawers, etc, for tools. Perfect for small service jobs.

Privately:
*not worry about paint, scratches.
*towing capacity.
*6 seats.
*not afraid of wife curbing it.

So for me it was perfect, the design is also kinda cool futuristic, especially when I remember old sci-fi movies from when I was younger.

But if these reasons don't apply for truck owners, then I don't know what truck owners do with their cars, for me pickups are the same as service vans, working cars...
I have sport cars, sedans and station wagons for all other uses...