Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh boy, there is going to be some learning curve for model 3 owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is very true, I didn't think about that actually. I guess you could say it was "charging" at some point,

There is absolutely no evidence of that either. All we know is that the S is plugged in. Whether its doing a full charge, topping off, or just for show for a close-in parking space, we'll never know. And that is my point.

Sure, we can assume the best in the parkers -- although I've been to enough airports to not be so generous. Regardless, what is the M3 is just waiting for its owner to return from shopping and then s/he will top off? (Unlikely, sure, but 'assuming the best in folks....')

Hmm... first, on-topic, I do solemnly condemn this Model 3 owner's behavior, from squatting without plugging in and then, seemingly making a statement of some sort by doing that to the note.

Second, it's unfortunate if a locked and unplugged 3's charge port cannot be opened with an HPWC button. There are many places where there are shared HPWC stations (like my workplace), where it'd really help if someone unplugging can plug in someone waiting with the latter being unavailable to come by at that moment.

Edit: we only have one X at our workplace, so, we haven't run into this "limitation" thus far, given that the X apparently behaves the same as the 3 in this context.

I didn’t want to go that far by web shamed him, I just have a feeling that we would need to be patient with model 3 owners to learn how to be considerate with superchargers.

People will not care for others until they have to experience and wait for a charger from someone who does this to them.
These same types of inconsiderate exchanges happened before there were Model 3's, with current S and X owners. This is not new because there is now a lower cost car to purchase. This individual was just a jerk, like the S and X owners before him who have done similar things, and frankly, like you are being for suggesting you "need to be patient with model 3 owners," like this is has never happened with Tesla owners before the release of the Model 3. Stupidity.

Reactions: brkaus and Kant.Ing
Oh boy, parked but not plugged in, we waited 15 minutes for someone else to pull out. View attachment 262562

Luckily my parents told me quite clearly before we entered the movie theater; There is no talking during the movie.

Once you know the rules, then innocent ignorance is no longer an excuse.

Nobody is special enough to knowingly deprive any other person of the use of the Supercharger.

So, because some people might not know;

It needs to be stated clearly on the front of the manual. and at the chargers themselves.

In Bold Capital Letters; Superchargers are for charging only. They are not to be used as parking spots.

Reactions: T34ME and DR61
Why would Model 3 owners need to learn how to be considerate? Model S owners didn’t have to learn how to be considerate, we knew from the start that supercharger spaces are only for charging, not parking.

You only can't tell with most Model S/Xes because we are always plugging them in. Free charging and all. But it isn't too uncommon to see Teslas charging for hours at nicely located superchargers.

With idle fees on the Model 3, we will just notice them much easier, but who knows if the black Model S in the picture has been plugged in for 30 minutes, or 6 hours.

You only can't tell with most Model S/Xes because we are always plugging them in. Free charging and all. But it isn't too uncommon to see Teslas charging for hours at nicely located superchargers.

With idle fees on the Model 3, we will just notice them much easier, but who knows if the black Model S in the picture has been plugged in for 30 minutes, or 6 hours.
Model S and Model X also accrue idle fees. Charging may be free, but sitting there plugged in is not.

Seems like the GPS in the car could be enlisted to help. A gentle “You appear to be parked at a charger but not charging. Please move your car.” Message could be sent to owners. GPS isn’t accurate enough to say there should be charges, but maybe the warnings get less friendly over time.

GPS would be hard as some are in garages with no signal. I would be fine with being able to plug someone else in with no charging, just a notification and Idle fees. That way the owner is notified and still have some penalty for parking there.

Reactions: beths11
GPS would be hard as some are in garages with no signal. I would be fine with being able to plug someone else in with no charging, just a notification and Idle fees. That way the owner is notified and still have some penalty for parking there.
That sounds like a good idea in theory but might be a problem in practice. I could just imagine the owner walking up while someone is in the process of plugging it in. Could be fistacuffs or worse.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl