Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh hell naw!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. With the single screen, having buttons and/or a scroll wheel on the steering wheel will be even more helpful in changing the view on the screen.

In a Model S, I always thought the stuff you see on big display are the sort of stuff that requires proper attention at least several seconds of time. Now imagine driving at 70mph+ on a busy motorway. In the time it takes to look at the central screen, you will have taken attention off the street ahead enough time for a real catastrophe. For example, how many button presses will be required to change cabin heating mode ? On a conventional dash that's a real advantage that you can control by touch.

Not suggesting we need normal dash controls but I'd say putting everything in one central screen must have a negative impact on safety. Oh well I guess there is no one ideal solution.

In a Model S, I always thought the stuff you see on big display are the sort of stuff that requires proper attention at least several seconds of time. Now imagine driving at 70mph+ on a busy motorway. In the time it takes to look at the central screen, you will have taken attention off the street ahead enough time for a real catastrophe. For example, how many button presses will be required to change cabin heating mode ? On a conventional dash that's a real advantage that you can control by touch.

Not suggesting we need normal dash controls but I'd say putting everything in one central screen must have a negative impact on safety. Oh well I guess there is no one ideal solution.
Not seeing how things would be any different from a Model S? Not an issue at all there, so I doubt this will matter here either.

Wow, this interior is a hot mess. No thank you. I'd take the Model 3 prototype interior any day over this design disaster.

I actually don't see it as that bad. Yes, the air vents stand out when I'd prefer they were more blended into the background and the center console is a tad small and the reach to operate it is not ergo good. The rest seems somewhat reasonable to me. Compared to the stark interior of the MS, it has some positives. YMMV.

Because cost isn't the only factor in why people buy one car over another.

I agree with @North75 , the only thing Elon is trying to do is temper people's expectations that have gotten wildly out of control. I don't know why you feel insulted, or why others are upset over lack of features, the model 3 will be half the cost of the model S. Some things, many of them, that appear in the S will not be in the 3. From reading all of the posts on here and in other places over the last year, and considering all of the outrage in the last month, it seems like the majority of people we expecting something that was just a little bit smaller than the model S but still had all the same bells and whistles.

I honestly don't think he was trying to insult anyone, or to even generate more model S sales, if people are upset and outraged they have only their own inflated expectations to blame.

Cost may not be the only factor, but with everyone I know it is the most important one. Over here, someone who can afford to buy a 100K Euro car usually doesn't shop around for cars in the 40K range, unless it's as a second car.
Same the other way around. People on a 40-50K Euro car budget simply can't "stretch" to get one that costs more than twice as much. Perhaps in the US things are different, but over here car buying just doesn't work that way.

I don't think I had inflated expectations for the Model 3 I put a reservation down for. All I did was believe what Elon and/or Tesla have stated as facts about it in the past year:

Even the base model will come "well equiped".
The production interior will come with a different interor than the prototype, and I don't even start about Elon's "feels like a spaceship" comment with regards to the controls.

Especially I took him literally when he said the Model 3 would be in the league of an A4, C-class or 3-series BMW.
That to me meant it would have all the bells and whistles those models offer - not as standard on the base model of course mind you. I was quite certain most of the goodies would be optional extras, even though he said the base model would be "well equiped" (whatever that was supposed to mean).

What pisses me off is mainly the fact that he seems to be "bashing" the Model 3 in comparison to the Model S or X. Sure, he has to keep selling his top-of-the-line models as well, but that doesn't mean he has to diminish his entry level model. And if he didn't mean to do so, he has failed miserably, at least in my book.

Last edited:
I think you might be reaching a conclusion without all the facts.
I'm waiting until at least the July reveal.

As a 25 year long owner of 4 BMWs I feel more let down by BMW than Tesla at this point, and that's only if the model 3 turns out to be a typical cheap plasticky American car.
My current e90 335 has tons of power but just doesn't feel as connected. I miss my e46 330i 5mt.
Don't even get me started on the e28 533i which was my first car.

Btw Props to you for the e46 in your avatar.

I think you might be reaching a conclusion without all the facts.
I'm waiting until at least the July reveal.

As a 25 year long owner of 4 BMWs I feel more let down by BMW than Tesla at this point, and that's only if the model 3 turns out to be a typical cheap plasticky American car.
My current e90 335 has tons of power but just doesn't feel as connected. I miss my e46 330i 5mt.
Don't even get me started on the e28 533i which was my first car.

Btw Props to you for the e46 in your avatar.

Thanks. Up to this point it is the best car I ever had. And I intend to keep it even when I do get the Model 3, not as a backup car but because I just don't want to get rid of it. I will deregister it and put it safely in storage until some day in the future when it will be considered a classic. ;)

I am still looking forward to my Model 3, don't get me wrong, and I am pretty excited about that final reveal in July, I am just trying not to get my hopes up too high in order to (hopefully) be pleasantly surprised.

This thread confuses me. It feels like rehashed conversation from a year ago. I thought it was from a year ago. But the first post says it was from Friday. Most of this stuff was discussed long ago. Hold on. Let me check to see if I have accidentally time traveled into the past...

There is no confusion. Repetition points to persistent issues with the Model 3 design that affect/cause reactions in several people. Namely, the single screen, minimalist interior and the small trunk are controversial.

Not all people took part in this a year ago, many are new people that are having the same reaction as other's a year ago.

Plus physical buttons and switches never get "laggy" when the software starts aging.

You press a physical button in a 20 year old car, it's probably still going to work as designed. You press a 20 year old touchscreen "button" and cross your fingers it still does what it's supposed to without hiring a software engineer to fix it.
Physical buttons have their own problems, they can fall off, get stuck, or just plain become unresponsive (for various reasons).

I've never experienced that in any of the cars with physical buttons I've owned.

I have experienced lagginess at some point with every touchscreen device I've owned.
It's not the touchscreen's fault. It's the cheap hardware or crappy software developers on the back end.
If you had a set piece of software that never updates and adequate hardware then there should never been a lag time greater than then the system was first installed. If your experience is with smart devices(smartphones, tablet, etc), these often have background processes using the processor and thus delaying your response. This delay can be 100% prevented if they choose.

It's not the touchscreen's fault. It's the cheap hardware or crappy software developers on the back end.
If you had a set piece of software that never updates and adequate hardware then there should never been a lag time greater than then the system was first installed. If your experience is with smart devices(smartphones, tablet, etc), these often have background processes using the processor and thus delaying your response. This delay can be 100% prevented if they choose.

But, almost every Tesla review I see, I have noticed the touchscreen is lagging every once in a while. It feels like a 2011 Android phone versus a recent iPhone. And that's on their $77,000 car that is technologically superior to what we'll get in the Model 3.

See the various hiccups in this 2017 P100D review:

1. Map scrolling is heavily delayed; I'd say over 300ms of latency
2. Sunroof adjustment is somewhat delayed, skips around, and keeps moving after he's let go
3. Not as important, but the browser is worse than 56k-era scrolling

Reactions: slipnslider
But, almost every Tesla review I see, I have noticed the touchscreen is lagging every once in a while. It feels like a 2011 Android phone versus a recent iPhone. And that's on their $77,000 car that is technologically superior to what we'll get in the Model 3.

2. Sunroof adjustment is somewhat delayed, skips around, and keeps moving after he's let go
That's an example of inadequate hardware (Tegra 3 released in 2011). Contrary to popular belief, I don't believe a new kernel is going to speed that up terribly.

I think his point is that is not the affect of the touchscreen, but rather the underlying hardware being slow. Replace the touchscreen control with physical buttons and it wouldn't change map update lag or the browser scrolling speed if there are other factors that is making that happen.

Reactions: JeffK
That's an example of inadequate hardware (Tegra 3 released in 2011). Contrary to popular belief, I don't believe a new kernel is going to speed that up terribly.

I'm venturing a little beyond my comfort zone in the software stack with this line of thought, but... couldn't a more modern kernel (and OS build) have some "touchscreen-oriented" optimizations baked in that could reduce touchscreen latency and improve responsiveness? e.g., something analogous to the old 300ms+ delay that mobile browsers used to apply to "touch" events so that they could differentiate between single and double-taps, only at the kernel / OS level.

Either way, I agree that the hardware could probably use an update at this point. If they're going through the trouble of bringing the kernel and OS several years forward, it makes me wonder whether their near-term roadmap includes a hardware upgrade as well.

The Tesla Model 3 touchscreen *must* include faster HW. They're not putting in Tegra 3 - they're just not.

Therefore, we should see some new touchscreen HW on MS and MX this year.
(No way Tesla is rolling out brand spanking new 100k model S/X with 5 years old graphics HW, at the same time equipping their low budget model with the latest tech.)

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911