Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh hell naw!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But everyone who can afford a Model S or X (and from what I gather that is a minute percentage of car buyers, just like very few can buy a 7-series or S-class) can buy them now anyway. I have said this time and time again, if you can afford a Model S, why on earth would you wait for a Model 3?
Because cost isn't the only factor in why people buy one car over another.

All Elon is doing is pointing out how much worse the Model 3 will be compared to the Model S. Sorry, Elon, all of us "poorer" folks who will never be able to fork out 100K+ Euro for your precious Model S (or even more for a Model X) feel really great about our future Tesla now. Honestly, if there were any serious competition available at this very moment, I would give up my reservation in an instant. As it is, I will have to make do with that "inferior" Model 3 until some German carmaker brings out something better.
If it weren't for my TSLA stock, I would be really pissed with Tesla at the moment. Showing so little appreciation for those hundreds of thousands of reservation holders who keep his company going is annoying, to say the least.
I agree with @North75 , the only thing Elon is trying to do is temper people's expectations that have gotten wildly out of control. I don't know why you feel insulted, or why others are upset over lack of features, the model 3 will be half the cost of the model S. Some things, many of them, that appear in the S will not be in the 3. From reading all of the posts on here and in other places over the last year, and considering all of the outrage in the last month, it seems like the majority of people we expecting something that was just a little bit smaller than the model S but still had all the same bells and whistles.

I honestly don't think he was trying to insult anyone, or to even generate more model S sales, if people are upset and outraged they have only their own inflated expectations to blame.

I don't expect, much less "demand" that the Model 3 be a two-thirds scale Model S, stuffed with all the many tech goodies that Model S owners appreciate. I know the 3 looks good. If it feels good getting in, if it looks as good on the inside as it does outside, if there are no ridiculous blind spots (as there are in my Prius V wagon), if the controls are simple and functional, if the seats feel right and there's adequate headroom, I will be OK. I don't care if the base 3 "beats" the Bolt in range, since the initial 215 figure meets my needs.
If it all comes about, the 3 will offer many of the advantages of the S at 1/2 the cost.
Isn't that a bargain?
Robin

Last edited:
The screen is crappy industrial design. Steering wheel controls would help considerably, but we've seen the wheel.
Which wheel are you referring to, because there have been pictures of 2 versions. There were the original wheels from the test drives, and then one of the cars had a 3 spoke design installed. I believe the 3 spoke wheel had at least some kind of controls on it.
My point isn't to say that the 3 spoke wheel is the final design. In reality we don't have any clear pictures of the steering wheels in the recent release candidate cars.

Reactions: Petra
Because it takes away information. Two digits changing on a screen do not visually show you the rate of acceleration (or deceleration) that you get with the movement of an arc.
If you're saying you simply like to watch the movement of an arc I get that. But I find digits provide me the same information just in a different way
I now like the digits better which surprised me..

I kinda like floating screens...
110-swimming-pool-movie-9047.jpg

Which wheel are you referring to, because there have been pictures of 2 versions. There were the original wheels from the test drives, and then one of the cars had a 3 spoke design installed. I believe the 3 spoke wheel had at least some kind of controls on it.
My point isn't to say that the 3 spoke wheel is the final design. In reality we don't have any clear pictures of the steering wheels in the recent release candidate cars.

Indeed, there is no reason to believe Model 3 steering wheel will not have controls on it - and quite a bit of reason to believe it will, both the prototype with D-pad or trackpad like controls on it as well as Elon Musk's spaceship response to a steering wheel question that might be relevant as well. Also, it just makes sense to have them available.

That said, could those controls be a paid option? Certainly they could.

Indeed, there is no reason to believe Model 3 steering wheel will not have controls on it - and quite a bit of reason to believe it will, both the prototype with D-pad or trackpad like controls on it as well as Elon Musk's spaceship response to a steering wheel question that might be relevant as well. Also, it just makes sense to have them available.

The issue I have with offering additional controls and buttons is that you need to retool. Everything I've seen points to building Model 3 more or less on the same production line. I'm not even sure if we'll see a "premium" interior, because that means you can't make all Model 3 on the same interior line.

This thought coupled with the Tesla email that says Model 3 will be offered with not only fewer, but "far fewer" options, makes me think there won't be much interior or exterior customization available. Hell, I can see the only Model 3 customization being in the motors and battery. Otherwise, it'll be a "one size fits all".

At least for now. I suspect the Model 3 launch will be extremely light on options and upgrades to keep tooling and production costs down. That other thread about the sound system may have some merit to it... maybe there won't be any sound upgrades at all? Make the base system a little beefier and eat the extra costs because it's cheaper and faster in the long run compared to offering an upgrade as an option.

At this point, we're looking at a balance between building not only the cars as fast as possible, but also the machines. Maybe Tesla didn't have time to build the extra machines to give us stuff like boosted sound or interior upgrades.

I wouldn't be surprised if those machines never get built based on Tesla's goals and timelines with this car. The primary objective seems to be pumping out generic taxis as fast as possible without regard for what the customer actually wants.

"You won't care."

Perhaps 3-4 years down the road when Tesla is struggling to sell Model 3s without any available comfort options they will invest in more tooling to make Model 3 more customizable. This will piss a ton of owners off. I doubt Tesla will accept that not every single person wants a taxi, but perhaps one day they'll realize that people who do want a taxi (or have come to terms with it) might want a more interesting interior.

I wanted this car day 1, but after taking a more realistic look at things, I might wait 5 years when Tesla realizes they can't sell this car for $35k in the numbers they'd hoped and hopefully come out with a refreshed and improved Model 3 that wasn't rushed.

@eisbock Yeah, I'm not terribly excited about the Model 3 either. I guess the downplaying has done its part... ;)

That said, I guess things like a multi-function steering wheel could be a part of a Premium Upgrades Package. I could see them offering that and limiting some convenience features to such a pack...

This thread confuses me. It feels like rehashed conversation from a year ago. I thought it was from a year ago. But the first post says it was from Friday. Most of this stuff was discussed long ago. Hold on. Let me check to see if I have accidentally time traveled into the past...

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3

I believe the buttonless wheel pictured was explicitly pointed out by Tesla personnel during the unveiling as definitely not the final wheel design. There was another wheel in the later alphas that had buttons/controls, but it is unknown if that is the final design either. The recent shots of the RCs don't really have a clear view of the wheel (or the interior in general).

If they make one with buttons, I doubt they will make them as options. Doesn't seem substantial enough to justify another option, and would also be bad to bundle.

This thread confuses me. It feels like rehashed conversation from a year ago. I thought it was from a year ago. But the first post says it was from Friday. Most of this stuff was discussed long ago. Hold on. Let me check to see if I have accidentally time traveled into the past...
Well, your name *is* Skotty.... (Sorry, couldn't resist....)