Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh hell naw!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another angle:
2018%20E-Class%20Coupe%20(12)-636264735415707105.jpg
I don't care for the look of that at all. Seems way too cluttered and complicated.
and I never understood why MB puts those monstrous seat controls on the doors.

To each their own I guess.

upload_2017-4-8_13-59-17.png

The thing about Mercedes, is they think their stylized mouse in the center console is functional. It's a POS as is their voice command system (at least in my wife's 2016 C-class).

Touch screens like Tesla uses are the way to go.

The Mercedes seat controls are at least visible, and don't require "seat adjustment by braille" for your passengers or drivers without memory seat settings.

Reactions: Mike M
Absolutely.

But what bugs me the most currently, is the way Elon is trying to sell more Model S by constantly pointing out how much better it is compared to the Model 3.

Imho that's very bad sales tactics, because the Model 3 should, while more affordable than an S, be as good a Tesla as any other, in the class it belongs to.
I mean no one at for example BMW goes about saying how much better a 7-series is compared to a 3- or 1-series. Everyone KNOWS a 7-series is bigger, more luxurious and offers more gizmos, but for some a 7-series (like a Model S) is just not in the cards.
And for those to be made to feel inferior because they will never have the "better" car is just bad PR.

When you buy a 3-series BMW, you still get to feel good about your purchase, because you know it is still a great BMW, even though it hasn't got everything a 7-series has. At least it offers most of the stuff in a similar fashion. So while you can't afford the top-of-the-line model, you at least feel you are getting the same kind of appreciation (and value for money)

With the Model 3, Tesla, especially Elon, is more or less saying "you can't afford a Model S, so you can have our bargain basement Model 3, but don't expect it to have too many goodies, because those are - and always will be - reserved for our top-of-the-line Models. Deal with it."
Unpleasant. Very.

Absolutely.

But what bugs me the most currently, is the way Elon is trying to sell more Model S by constantly pointing out how much better it is compared to the Model 3.

Imho that's very bad sales tactics, because the Model 3 should, while more affordable than an S, be as good a Tesla as any other, in the class it belongs to.
I mean no one at for example BMW goes about saying how much better a 7-series is compared to a 3- or 1-series. Everyone KNOWS a 7-series is bigger, more luxurious and offers more gizmos, but for some a 7-series (like a Model S) is just not in the cards.
And for those to be made to feel inferior because they will never have the "better" car is just bad PR.

When you buy a 3-series BMW, you still get to feel good about your purchase, because you know it is still a great BMW, even though it hasn't got everything a 7-series has. At least it offers most of the stuff in a similar fashion. So while you can't afford the top-of-the-line model, you at least feel you are getting the same kind of appreciation (and value for money)

With the Model 3, Tesla, especially Elon, is more or less saying "you can't afford a Model S, so you can have our bargain basement Model 3, but don't expect it to have too many goodies, because those are - and always will be - reserved for our top-of-the-line Models. Deal with it."
Unpleasant. Very.

Exactly, this indicates that you want to get away from many reservations for some reason

OP's pic is from original reveal prototype. Not too sure why people are freaking out about a year old picture.

Mind you, the newest kind of vague through the window pictures aren't that different as far as I can tell, but we still don't know what the final form with the final controls look like. As far as I can tell they still don't have the "spaceship like controls" steering wheel.

Absolutely.

Unpleasant. Very.
I think demand for the S & X is pretty now at the moment (Demand) and Tesla now wants to push those sales.

The problem is they don't want to advertise or offer discounts. In the past the always had something to offer (facelift, new 60kWh battery, P100D, AP2 etc.), but at the moment they simply don't have anything to generate sales from people who were waiting for something like the 100kWh battery or something that would attract new customer via viral marketing attention like the P100D drag videos (I think that's why they brought back the Christmas Easter egg).

So while other companies would now just run commercials telling you how great the Model S is or offer some discount on the 60kWh Model S for people who hold a Model 3 reservation Tesla somehow has to push the people in that direction. That's also why they remove the 60kWh option, because they want people to order now and not in 4 months.

Yes, it's a bad sales tactic, but Tesla does not want to use those other sales tactics so there simply isn't much left hey can do...

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Elon's response to NO HUD was that "you won't care". I'm taking this as he has something much better in mind. Even if it isn't "dash" related. SPECULATION WARNING!!! I'm thinking that the steering wheel will be dramatically different from anything we've seen. It would be easier to have it all build and integrated into a one part system rather than all the pieces that would go into a normal dash.

If not. I'm hoping that the fit/finish of the materials exceeds anything currently offered. A higher end interior could be accomplished through finishes alone and costs could be recouped from lack of complexity.

Fingers crossed.

Personally I'm really liking the model 3 simplicity. Soon all these other cars will look like this:
I'm all for minimalism or "less is more", if it can be made to work better for driving as well as improving the cabin aesthetic somehow. Obviously you'd reduce costs too. However, there are a million ways to do minimalist interior design and just because you've made one example doesn't mean you've got instant appeal or did it right. To be sure, this car's interior layout will evolve soon due to market pressure. Maybe they will offer retrofits for early adopters?