Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh my goodness! The range anxiety...!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fear that planet Earth is virtually already stuffed. Whatever is done by Governments will inevitably be too little, too late. Unless Russia, America and particularly China, take a noticeable lead the little difference that the UK and others can make, will not be enough.
We couldn’t even agree a collective stance on a global pandemic that was a major but survivable threat.
Perhaps the pandemic was nature’s way of solving the problem by getting rid of us. Nuts and berries anyone? ;)

If all ICE cars and taxis became BEV overnight then transport use of petroleum products would reduce by 2/5ths and overall petroleum products used in combustion systems by 2/7ths in the UK and perhaps even in Europe. Globally it would be a much smaller fraction.
I readily concede that that is an improvement but it's also only spitting in the ocean of issues. Most folk on here seem to have cars on lease plans and likely get a new one every 3-4 years with all the pollution of manufacture. They can sit back with that self-satisfied pride of saving the planet with the iphone in their pocket that is swapped out every 1-2 years for the latest version and the apple watch that communicates with phone and car. They have a house full of labour saving devices such they hardly have to get out of a chair. Therefore they have a gym membership to drive to twice a week and dress in their fancy synthetic gym gear and buy some branded rehydration drink in a recyclable plastic bottle that many local authorities just chuck away. When they go on road trips to ride their bikes in the country they stop en route for coffee and possibly snacks again in disposable and even possibly recyclable containers. It still takes energy to shred and remake them. Their car is capable of 3 seconds to 60mph so hoof it for the bragging rights and burn electrons to save a few seconds
Back at home with the 75" telly and those wonderful electronic devices that were delivered by ICE van they do frequent internet shopping for the latest self-indulgence and imported goods.
Before I got my S my ICE was 24 years old saving the pollution of making another 7 new cars. I used to be amused by the local park run where 100 cars turned up with their competitors. When I was still capable of running (sadly no longer possible) I'd just shut the front door and go for a run. or run to the leisure centre for a workout. If I take the car and may have to stop for sparks then I carry a thermos and sandwich box and always keep dry snacks and a refilled water bottle (with the finest tap) in the car.
Oh, it's the wrong time of year for British nuts (ones from trees that is) and my nut trees are still ten years from producing but I have berries in profusion - indeed a glut of blackcurrants this year if anyone wants to come picking.

Reactions: kavyboy
If all ICE cars and taxis became BEV overnight then transport use of petroleum products would reduce by 2/5ths and overall petroleum products used in combustion systems by 2/7ths in the UK and perhaps even in Europe. Globally it would be a much smaller fraction.
I readily concede that that is an improvement but it's also only spitting in the ocean of issues. Most folk on here seem to have cars on lease plans and likely get a new one every 3-4 years with all the pollution of manufacture. They can sit back with that self-satisfied pride of saving the planet with the iphone in their pocket that is swapped out every 1-2 years for the latest version and the apple watch that communicates with phone and car. They have a house full of labour saving devices such they hardly have to get out of a chair. Therefore they have a gym membership to drive to twice a week and dress in their fancy synthetic gym gear and buy some branded rehydration drink in a recyclable plastic bottle that many local authorities just chuck away. When they go on road trips to ride their bikes in the country they stop en route for coffee and possibly snacks again in disposable and even possibly recyclable containers. It still takes energy to shred and remake them. Their car is capable of 3 seconds to 60mph so hoof it for the bragging rights and burn electrons to save a few seconds
Back at home with the 75" telly and those wonderful electronic devices that were delivered by ICE van they do frequent internet shopping for the latest self-indulgence and imported goods.
Before I got my S my ICE was 24 years old saving the pollution of making another 7 new cars. I used to be amused by the local park run where 100 cars turned up with their competitors. When I was still capable of running (sadly no longer possible) I'd just shut the front door and go for a run. or run to the leisure centre for a workout. If I take the car and may have to stop for sparks then I carry a thermos and sandwich box and always keep dry snacks and a refilled water bottle (with the finest tap) in the car.
Oh, it's the wrong time of year for British nuts (ones from trees that is) and my nut trees are still ten years from producing but I have berries in profusion - indeed a glut of blackcurrants this year if anyone wants to come picking.
Thank you for auditioning for the role of new Glan Gluaisne. We'll be in touch.

..if I but had his leccy knowledge and 20 years younger it might be worth installing my own panels. With no chance of a smets and no-one willing to trot out to the sticks the payback on a system wouldn't be in my remaining lifetime. So cheer up all, you'll be rid of me in x years..

Does owning a car for 24 years avoid production of 7? If you buy a new one the old one gets sold onto someone so most cars will have a similar overall lifetime even if your personal slice of that is only a few years

by buying new you’re buying more efficient so as your cars trickle down the overall ‘fleet’ improves in efficiency and reduced pollution

Does owning a car for 24 years avoid production of 7? If you buy a new one the old one gets sold onto someone so most cars will have a similar overall lifetime even if your personal slice of that is only a few years

by buying new you’re buying more efficient so as your cars trickle down the overall ‘fleet’ improves in efficiency and reduced pollution
That's one way of looking at it. The other is that if you kept first car then the guy that might have bought it would have to keep his longer. The manufacture CO2 of a fossil car roughly equals it's post manufacture CO2. The saving of a newer more efficient engine is small spuds.
If the average life of a fossil car is 12years then my 24yr car has caused 3 lifetime units of CO2 instead of 9. While it may be less efficient it also hasn't been fitted out with fancy computers and electronics.
There was a documentary some years ago regarding Cuban cars. Due to the US embargo on exports they were still creatively fixing up 1950's American gas guzzlers. The filmmakers calculated that despite their guzzling they were still less of a CO2 impact than if they had had access to new stuff. We throw too much away that could be fixed or built to last...

Reactions: Mrklaw
I have absolutely never had range anxiety in more than 35 years of driving ICE cars. Not even during the refinery blockade crisis. I have many times had range anxiety in my M3, especially as the charging infrastructure, including SuCs, is virtually non existent where I mostly drive. It would be ridiculous to pretend that charging on a long journey is as convenient as filling a tank. Not only does it take longer but you are vastly more limited in your choice of locations.

I bought my M3P purely for the performance. Environmental issues didn’t cross my mind and the cost of running the car was irrelevant to me. I still have my A6 and I nearly always use it for longer journeys when I want to enjoy a level of comfort and refinement that my Spartan M3 just can’t give, and when I want a completely reliable adaptive cruise control with no threat of dangerous phantom braking.

I have absolutely never had range anxiety in more than 35 years of driving ICE cars. Not even during the refinery blockade crisis. I have many times had range anxiety in my M3, especially as the charging infrastructure, including SuCs, is virtually non existent where I mostly drive. It would be ridiculous to pretend that charging on a long journey is as convenient as filling a tank. Not only does it take longer but you are vastly more limited in your choice of locations.

I bought my M3P purely for the performance. Environmental issues didn’t cross my mind and the cost of running the car was irrelevant to me. I still have my A6 and I nearly always use it for longer journeys when I want to enjoy a level of comfort and refinement that my Spartan M3 just can’t give, and when I want a completely reliable adaptive cruise control with no threat of dangerous phantom braking.
I have. I visit my mother who live on Kintyre, you can basically get fuel at Lochgilphead (an hours drive), Clachan (20mins) or Cambelltown (an hour). These tend to not be on the way we want to go as tourists, so we would end up making special journeys to fill up. Now with the Tesla we granny charge so I don't need to think about it to disrupt our holiday.
The 500 mile journey to get there from Oxfordshire is trivial, we use 2 of the 9 SuperChargers we pass, and we now tend to stop for less time than we used to, I chivy people along to avoid overstay fees. Given I start with 100% we can make it to Charnock Richard before the first stop, but that's really a bit far for us (3h20 of driving), next time we will probably choose a 3 stop strategy to break it up more.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
A non-existent problem easy solved with a top-up en route and a jerry can in the boot for those that don't have a granny living on the island😈
It's 7 miles to my nearest petrol station so if I'm in my aged ICE it gets topped up when I’m passing (or cheaper if going via supermarkets). But here in rural sticks I keep a few jerrycans of petrol in the barn along with a drum of red diesel for assorted farm tack. I can't fit an extra 30KWh battery in the boot.
I note there's a new instavolt 50KW charger installed not toooo far away from me - handy for tourists but at 40p/kwh it's getting as expensive as petrol. And for most folk it's cost rather than environment they care about.

Despite all my arguments above I am in favour of electric vehicles - not so much for selling them on the grounds of acceleration (enough yahoos about) but because there is a finite practicality to oil and the mess involved and things have to change. The greatest concern to us all should be the problems of small garages getting to grips with the assorted technologies and diagnostic softwares involved which leaves motorists at the mercy of overpriced dealerships.

I remain sceptical at people who claim green credentials by using them and carry on with wasteful self indulgence.

A non-existent problem easy solved with a top-up en route and a jerry can in the boot for those that don't have a granny living on the island😈
It's 7 miles to my nearest petrol station so if I'm in my aged ICE it gets topped up when I’m passing (or cheaper if going via supermarkets). But here in rural sticks I keep a few jerrycans of petrol in the barn along with a drum of red diesel for assorted farm tack. I can't fit an extra 30KWh battery in the boot.
I note there's a new instavolt 50KW charger installed not toooo far away from me - handy for tourists but at 40p/kwh it's getting as expensive as petrol. And for most folk it's cost rather than environment they care about.

Despite all my arguments above I am in favour of electric vehicles - not so much for selling them on the grounds of acceleration (enough yahoos about) but because there is a finite practicality to oil and the mess involved and things have to change. The greatest concern to us all should be the problems of small garages getting to grips with the assorted technologies and diagnostic softwares involved which leaves motorists at the mercy of overpriced dealerships.

I remain sceptical at people who claim green credentials by using them and carry on with wasteful self indulgence.
It's not an island, I guess the geography of the UK is something else where you have a loose grip on facts.

I did go look.
Average price on the most expensive region is about 18p/kWh
Average in the UK is just over 17p
Higher than I thought, admittedly, but now where near 20p
I accept that the data I read didn’t discriminate smart vs “dumb” meters but again I would be surprised if the “dumb” ones deviated that grossly from the mean…
Dumb meter, 24h tariff, 12p/kwh 20p day Standing Charge...still not rushing to get smart meter, Agile, Go etc still cannot compete. Agile publishes prices every day and rarely drops to 12p. Only good if you have solar+storage.

I have. I visit my mother who live on Kintyre, you can basically get fuel at Lochgilphead (an hours drive), Clachan (20mins) or Cambelltown (an hour). These tend to not be on the way we want to go as tourists, so we would end up making special journeys to fill up. Now with the Tesla we granny charge so I don't need to think about it to disrupt our holiday.
The 500 mile journey to get there from Oxfordshire is trivial, we use 2 of the 9 SuperChargers we pass, and we now tend to stop for less time than we used to, I chivy people along to avoid overstay fees. Given I start with 100% we can make it to Charnock Richard before the first stop, but that's really a bit far for us (3h20 of driving), next time we will probably choose a 3 stop strategy to break it up more.

Inevitably the more rural the location the greater the difficulty in fuelling ICE cars and EVs. But this is not representative of the vast majority of the population. I mainly drive to Snowdonia and EV charging there, and in Wales generally, is dire. The new SuC at Flint Mountain is not on my route. I have no difficulty in filling and ICE car.

I’m not suggesting that the problems of charging an EV are insurmountable, or even that it causes massive inconvenience, but it will be a long time before it’s as convenient as filling an ICE car.

Anyone know if there are any superchargers near any race circuits? I want to take my M3P on a track somewhere and as far as I can see, its just no setup for this. So I will hammer it around the track for an hour and then end up with range anxiety as I got to charge it to get home?

Can Anyone help?

Of course it's true. You could use renewable sources and some folk do if they have their own panels. Many folk believe they are only buying renewable from the grid but you can’t sift the electrons and whatever they use is replaced by less savoury sources. And while I freely concede that ICE vehicles chuck out fumes don't go away with the belief that your fancy overpriced superfast accelerating BEV is fume free... lots of nasty chemicals during extraction and manufacture, full of plastics (from oil), full of rare earth elements likely mined with slave labour in China and green-washed by the state. And just think about all that tyre particle pollution from the weight of battery you cart about and the simple fact that recycling batteries and solar panels is still pilot studies and theoretical. If you must use the thing then drive gently.

If you really want to be green and environmentally friendly you'll stop making unnecessary journeys for mere pleasure and braggadocio - and walk. Preferably wearing shoes made from recycled tyres. Oh, and you'll stop flying anywhere or buying imported airlifted groceries.😈😂
Well, I have not been flying anywhere since March 2020 thanks to Covid and working online and I have installed solar panels so I am feeling pretty smug these days about my new green credentials, thank you for asking... Full confession now, after topping up my Tesla with 'recycled sunshine' there is nothing so much fun these days as nipping down to the shops, taking the long way round and going via a road where I can enjoy a quick burst of insane acceleration while still believing I am eco-friendly. Childish of me and a simple pleasure no doubt, but ces't la vie. I lead a simple life.

All I am saying is don't underestimate the genuine value to society of now having BEV alternatives to ICE cars that undoubtedly reduce the global transport burden and environmental impact of moving people and goods around, while still allowing us simple people to enjoy the pleasures of driving fast cars. Even better, the M3 is objectively one of the safest cars ever built.

Our world may, or may not, be stuffed in the end, but I think BEVs are a useful step in the direction of improving things for the better. The 'wringing their hands brigade' who are just telling people to stop traveling, eating meat or ever using any mass produced consumer product on the other hand probably aren't going to help that much at all.