Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh my goodness! The range anxiety...!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did go look.
Average price on the most expensive region is about 18p/kWh
Average in the UK is just over 17p
Higher than I thought, admittedly, but now where near 20p
I accept that the data I read didn’t discriminate smart vs “dumb” meters but again I would be surprised if the “dumb” ones deviated that grossly from the mean…
Comparison sites give my address the cheapest rate at 18.48p with a 38p daily standing charge. Most rattle around the 20p mark with 23-25p standing charge. I won't put my postcode public since there's very few houses in it and only my hobby farm listed as a farm so findable. It'd have to be a DM if you can't accept my word..

I do keep wondering about solar panels but 4 guys now have never showed to discuss/survey and I wonder if I have enough time left to reach payback....

I have absolutely never had range anxiety in more than 35 years of driving ICE cars.
You’ve had a pampered life in some well served urban location then! And perhaps always drove cars with a working fuel gauge! I’ve had to drag some poor sod out in the middle of the night to unlock a lone pump when on the brink of running out in the middle of the Highlands. As a poor student I was often running on fumes and had the car literally cough to a halt whilst rolling up to a pump! On my motorbike in Skye I well recall the relief of finally getting refuelled when working within a few litres of capacity. In all those circumstances I can definitely say that I was experiencing range anxiety!
(Yes, I’m just being obtuse … we’ve all been (or still are) ICE drivers so we know it’s less likely to be an issue 😉)

Reactions: hcdavis3
And perhaps always drove cars with a working fuel gauge!

For quite a while, the fuel warning on my old MGB was the odometer (knowing my approx range) then the car starting to stutter when going around a corner. Of course, in those days, most of us carried a spare can so not quite the end of the world unless you were, in my case 15-20 miles from an open petrol station. Thankfully my GF's at the time family ran a petrol station, so heading out into the sticks of Devon not quite the worry it may have been.

Dumb meter, 24h tariff, 12p/kwh 20p day Standing Charge...still not rushing to get smart meter, Agile, Go etc still cannot compete. Agile publishes prices every day and rarely drops to 12p. Only good if you have solar+storage.
What the heck tariff are you on. We can’t get a smart meter here (well we can but I don’t want to lose my excellent Feed In Tariff rates!!) so have to live with a 24hr tariff and the very best I could do after loads of research is 14p/kWh and 28p/ day standing charge.

Of course, in those days, most of us carried a spare can ...
My stepfather routinely carried a 4 gallon can in the front of his Beetle (none of our modern pesky 5 litre plastic jobs) ... the extra weight was always helpful in a cross wind apparently! (He was used to range anxiety during WWII and the rarity of being able to get hold of petrol at all.) The potential for a conflagration having so much in a loose can never seemed to bother anybody!

What the heck tariff are you on. We can’t get a smart meter here (well we can but I don’t want to lose my excellent Feed In Tariff rates!!) so have to live with a 24hr tariff and the very best I could do after loads of research is 14p/kWh and 28p/ day standing charge.
Symbio but they change the tariff about every 2 months so they rarely get on comparison websites. You need your wits about you with them because they estimate in advance and then refund the following month. It takes a while to steady out. More companies are taking this approach.
Your new tariff plan is:Low Fair and Green Variable SE01 v28
Day Unit Rate:12.270 p per kWh
Night Unit Rate:12.270 p per kWh

Reactions: Tonybvi
My stepfather routinely carried a 4 gallon can in the front of his Beetle (none of our modern pesky 5 litre plastic jobs) ... the extra weight was always helpful in a cross wind apparently! (He was used to range anxiety during WWII and the rarity of being able to get hold of petrol at all.) The potential for a conflagration having so much in a loose can never seemed to bother anybody!
My dad was OTT re measuring fuel consumption, He;dd always carry a can with a measured amount, let the car ran dry, fill with his can, note odometer and then top up at a station and refill that can and see how many miles before he ran dry again - years of data for each car.
He bought an MG 1100 second-hand prior to one 6 mweek euro camping holiday and sent the salesman postcards of fuel and oil usage every few days becasue the car didn't perform as sold....

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado and Nick77
Comparison sites give my address the cheapest rate at 18.48p with a 38p daily standing charge. Most rattle around the 20p mark with 23-25p standing charge. I won't put my postcode public since there's very few houses in it and only my hobby farm listed as a farm so findable. It'd have to be a DM if you can't accept my word..

I do keep wondering about solar panels but 4 guys now have never showed to discuss/survey and I wonder if I have enough time left to reach payback....
Ouch. That‘s horrendous! But location is alway the main factor. Norfolk rates are 15p day, 5p night and 25p s/c until the end of the year…

Ouch. That‘s horrendous! But location is alway the main factor. Norfolk rates are 15p day, 5p night and 25p s/c until the end of the year…
I fear that those of us on those kind of rates are going to be in for an unpleasant surprise at the end of the contract. When comparing Octopus Agile with the cheap fixed price Octopus Go it’s presently double the price for my own pattern of use whereas last year in the summer Agile was a bit cheaper.

Inevitably the more rural the location the greater the difficulty in fuelling ICE cars and EVs. But this is not representative of the vast majority of the population. I mainly drive to Snowdonia and EV charging there, and in Wales generally, is dire. The new SuC at Flint Mountain is not on my route. I have no difficulty in filling and ICE car.

I’m not suggesting that the problems of charging an EV are insurmountable, or even that it causes massive inconvenience, but it will be a long time before it’s as convenient as filling an ICE car.
I think anywhere in the UK is quite feasible with a little bit of planning. You just can't head off with 3/4 of a tank and wing it with a BEV.

You’ve had a pampered life in some well served urban location then! And perhaps always drove cars with a working fuel gauge! I’ve had to drag some poor sod out in the middle of the night to unlock a lone pump when on the brink of running out in the middle of the Highlands. As a poor student I was often running on fumes and had the car literally cough to a halt whilst rolling up to a pump! On my motorbike in Skye I well recall the relief of finally getting refuelled when working within a few litres of capacity. In all those circumstances I can definitely say that I was experiencing range anxiety!
(Yes, I’m just being obtuse … we’ve all been (or still are) ICE drivers so we know it’s less likely to be an issue 😉)

Oh, I will admit that I often couldn’t afford to fill my banger when I was a student, but that isn’t quite the same thing. Not being able to fill up (either an ICE or an EV) because you’re broke is very different from there being no availability of fuel.

Oh, I will admit that I often couldn’t afford to fill my banger when I was a student, but that isn’t quite the same thing. Not being able to fill up (either an ICE or an EV) because you’re broke is very different from there being no availability of fuel.
Many years ago I think reliability anxiety was a bigger issue. I had an Austin Maestro and you were always quite pleased when you got where you were going.

One time the throttle cable snapped, no problem, just turn the idler up to 6500 rpm then ever so gently let out the clutch and off we go. Bit embarrassing at pedestrian crossing revving it's nuts off, but got to the garage eventually :)

Many years ago I think reliability anxiety was a bigger issue. I had an Austin Maestro and you were always quite pleased when you got where you were going.

One time the throttle cable snapped, no problem, just turn the idler up to 6500 rpm then ever so gently let out the clutch and off we go. Bit embarrassing at pedestrian crossing revving it's nuts off, but got to the garage eventually :)
Now you're just getting nostalgic: Brighton to London with only 2 of the 4 gears working or a careful 20 miles after the brake master cylinder failed down Box Hill. But at least we always had a spare wheel and jack....

Reactions: Teddy69