Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit Installed!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm calling them tomorrow to discuss details. I may have Redwood install a set for me. Three levels of springs, from the look of it. I'm thinking the middle level, as opposed to the HPDE level which is probably too stiff for me. GT will probably be too floppy. I'm really not a fan of body flop, and the MY has a TON of flop. My wife's I-Pace has an annoying amount too, but nothing like the MY. My old stock FRS is quite nice in comparison.

And yeah, I know the MY has A LOT more weight to deal with.

jsimon7777: What do you mean by "body flop." That's a term I'm no familiar with. Thanks.
Very underdamped with overly soft springs. In a turn, the body just moves around unpredictably, and especially on bumpy roads. I'm just not sure what the car is going to do. Our I-Pace is somewhat underdamped too, but I can turn on dynamic mode and tighten things up to a reasonable (but not tight enough) level then turn back to comfort for a softer freeway ride.

I don't want any of this variable rate spring stuff one company is selling. I'll take something nicely linear, like these Ohlins.

jsimon777: Thanks. The MPPs that were installed on my 2021 MYLR eliminated the uncontrolled gyrations that would occur with the OEM setup, on any curves with broken pavement, expansion. I like the ride, and It isn't underdamped, in my opinion (which, of course, is subjective)

I'd like to drive an Ohlins equipped MYLR, for comparison.

Another happy Ohlins setup here:

51504552241_02c2d4717e_b.jpg

51504552576_0b47a31f5d_b.jpg

51505263549_dac7c1c4dc_b.jpg

51505479475_09359ba49b_b.jpg

looks great, what size rims are those and 9" or 9.5"? what was the offset? I'm loving my Ohlin's, i've "stiffened" it up to about 18 front and 17 rear. Still adjusting. What settings do you have/
Running 20x10 on both front and rear, with a squared 275/40-20 setup. No spacers.

Usually on new coilover installs, we adjust the settings to halfway points to get some base of reference - I haven't had the chance to make any adjustments yet, but will once I get some more miles on the kit.

Last edited:
Running 20x10 on both front and rear, with a squared 275/40-20 setup. No spacers.

Usually on new coilover installs, we adjust the settings to halfway points to get some bade of reference - I haven't had the chance to make any adjustments yet, but will once I get some more miles on the kit.
hmm 20x10? i was gonna go 20x9. how's curb rashes? and how much does it stick out from the body? did you lose any range?

I shot some video of my Y with the redwood ohlins touring going fast over some big speed bumps as well as deep dips thru a residential intersection.

I adjusted the suspension till I didn't get a secondary recovery bounce. Don't mind the loud thump, I have my car fridge and a crate of stuff in the back. The suspension is amazing. It just eats big bumps. On the freeway it's so smooth. I started really soft but have found the stiffer setting better as it doesn't have the mini bobbing of the car on city streets when you go slow and just feels tighter when driving turning etc.

Last edited:
I softened it up again, adjusted to 26 front and 26 rear... cant' decide if i like the "stiffer 16" setting or the 26 softer, but on some roads the softer setting gets a little oscillating bumpy if that makes sense. hard to drive the same route over and over to find the right setting. but on speed bumps even at 26 there's no rebound bounce. it goes over bumps, & settles immediately with no secondary.

Reactions: miracj