Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohlins R&T landing in the USA as soon as May

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, with the rear suspension on including rear pillowball top hats...I do have a bit of added low speed NVH. When it's quiet out e.g. at night I can detect faint clunk or clatter over rough roads, and sometimes a faint bird chirp as well.

At some point I'll try figuring out exactly which moving parts these sounds are coming from. Could be the pillowballs themselves, or could be the pillowballs just transmit noises that would be swallowed by the stock rubber top hats.

The noises are quiet enough that if I never silence them, I'll still be very happy with the car, assuming they don't get worse of course. They also passed the wife test...she hasn't made any comment on them and I think didn't notice them so far, except when I specifically mentioned the faint bird chirp.

The way it drives now with the "performance sport" coilovers and the top hats and the FLCA bushings... 🤩🤯😃. Definitely needed the rear suspension in to get the proper benefit! Full review will wait for alignment + lots of twisties + late night empty ramps, and also testing different damper settings. (And I'll post it in a new thread, not this one which I know is supposed to be about the upcoming R&T kit.)

Anyone prioritizing minimal NVH should of course stick with factory rubber top hats. These pillowballs are completely optional from Redwood, by default you just reuse the stock rubber top hats.

I'm happy with my choice. But minimal NVH was never my goal, as mentioned earlier. :) Beyond the huge handling upgrade the car has a touch of rawness to it now that I credit the spherical top hats and maybe FLCA bearings for. That slight raw edge was something I missed from my last sporty car (with various mount and bushing upgrades).

The rawness is all relative of course. It hasn't become a Lotus Elise or anything like that! 😄

Okay, with the rear suspension on including rear pillowball top hats...I do have a bit of added low speed NVH. When it's quiet out e.g. at night I can detect faint clunk or clatter over rough roads, and sometimes a faint bird chirp as well.

At some point I'll try figuring out exactly which moving parts these sounds are coming from. Could be the pillowballs themselves, or could be the pillowballs just transmit noises that would be swallowed by the stock rubber top hats.

The noises are quiet enough that if I never silence them, I'll still be very happy with the car, assuming they don't get worse of course. They also passed the wife test...she hasn't made any comment on them and I think didn't notice them so far, except when I specifically mentioned the faint bird chirp.

The way it drives now with the "performance sport" coilovers and the top hats and the FLCA bushings... 🤩🤯😃. Definitely needed the rear suspension in to get the proper benefit! Full review will wait for alignment + lots of twisties + late night empty ramps, and also testing different damper settings. (And I'll post it in a new thread, not this one which I know is supposed to be about the upcoming R&T kit.)
To add some clarity...the clatter (it's not a clunk) only happens over rough patches and is very faint, it's drowned out by the normal tire impact noise that happens at the same time. I think it's exactly the level of extra NVH one should expect from spherical bearing top hats. I honestly don't care if I never get rid of this sound, it's faint background noise that blends in with tire noise and doesn't bother me at all.

The distant bird chirp sound stands out more, and I'm not sure it has anything to do with the pillowballs. At highway speeds I can't hear the chirp at all, and during the day when things are busy with lots of ambient noise I mostly can't hear it either, but when I can hear it - uneven roads at low speeds when it's quiet out - the high pitch of the chirp certainly stands out. This noise I am going to make a serious go at finding and silencing. My first thought is it could be from movement / rubbing of the rear suspension's divorced spring setup, with the helper spring it now has. Just a guess. I've asked Redwood if they have any suggestion of what to look for or try first, if they've encountered this bird chirp sound before.

Anyone prioritizing minimal NVH should of course stick with factory rubber top hats. These pillowballs are completely optional from Redwood, by default you just reuse the stock rubber top hats.

I'm happy with my choice. But minimal NVH was never my goal, as mentioned earlier. :) Beyond the huge handling upgrade the car has a touch of rawness to it now that I credit the spherical top hats and maybe FLCA bearings for. That slight raw edge was something I missed from my last sporty car (with various mount and bushing upgrades).

The rawness is all relative of course. It hasn't become a Lotus Elise or anything like that! 😄
Have MCS 2WNR with spherical upper mount myself and the little increase in NVH doesn't bother me.

Reactions: tm1v2
@Motion122 This pic is for you! 😃

MCS_coilovers.jpg

Spotted on a shelf at my friend's hobbyist shop. We don't know whose they are or what car they're for, but they do look purdy. Even if they're no gold/yellow Redwood Öhlins or Öhlins R&T. 😜

Now available at Redwood Motorsports! Ohlins 'Road & Track' DFV coilovers for Model 3 / Model Y. Hop on our website Model 3 Öhlins - Standard 'Road & Track' Kit AND Model Y Öhlins - Standard 'Road & Track' Kit for more information!

Information about the official Ohlins release including specs, additional discussion and RWMS accesories/options in the following thread:

This is the more affordable entry level Ohlins kit manufactured by Ohlins Sweden... lower initial price point (though much higher spring rates, cheaper steel front forks, a more agressive Street/Track focus. We will be offering all of our Redwood Ohlins DFV upgrades along with the standard kits (billet front forks, bump stop limiters, billet remote adjusters, floating top hats etc.). We are still full swing on all custom Redwood Ohlins DFV kits, but this is a nice affordable option to be more price competitive with the KW and other offerings. Bang for buck a really great value!

TESMU00S1_Front_720x.jpg

-RWMS

Last edited:
Reactions: EVolv3d and tm1v2
To add some clarity...the clatter (it's not a clunk) only happens over rough patches and is very faint, it's drowned out by the normal tire impact noise that happens at the same time. I think it's exactly the level of extra NVH one should expect from spherical bearing top hats. I honestly don't care if I never get rid of this sound, it's faint background noise that blends in with tire noise and doesn't bother me at all.

The distant bird chirp sound stands out more, and I'm not sure it has anything to do with the pillowballs. At highway speeds I can't hear the chirp at all, and during the day when things are busy with lots of ambient noise I mostly can't hear it either, but when I can hear it - uneven roads at low speeds when it's quiet out - the high pitch of the chirp certainly stands out. This noise I am going to make a serious go at finding and silencing. My first thought is it could be from movement / rubbing of the rear suspension's divorced spring setup, with the helper spring it now has. Just a guess. I've asked Redwood if they have any suggestion of what to look for or try first, if they've encountered this bird chirp sound before.
Car is aligned and all discernable noises taken care of, no more pillowball clatter (was 1 of the rears only) or damper shaft chirp (was both of the rears). The car feels better than ever. Full driving impressions coming in a week or three, in a new thread.

(And that, I promise, is my final pillowball top hats NVH tangent in this thread! Back to the topic at hand, Öhlins R&T, which don't come with top hats.)

Car is aligned and all discernable noises taken care of, no more pillowball clatter (was 1 of the rears only) or damper shaft chirp (was both of the rears). The car feels better than ever. Full driving impressions coming in a week or three, in a new thread.

(And that, I promise, is my final pillowball top hats NVH tangent in this thread! Back to the topic at hand, Öhlins R&T, which don't come with top hats.)
A little bit of added NVH doesn't bother me(Currently on MCS 2WNR with spherical mounts up front and rear damper mounts with spherical on the bottom side). NVH goes away once you get above 25-30 mph anyway.

A little bit of added NVH doesn't bother me(Currently on MCS 2WNR with spherical mounts up front and rear damper mounts with spherical on the bottom side). NVH goes away once you get above 25-30 mph anyway.
Yeah I was never able to hear those noises at highway speeds, drowned out by the car's normal road and wind noise. But now the extra noises are gone / indiscernable even at low speeds.

Reactions: Motion122