Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohme Intelligent Wall Charger + Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rooster6655

May 3, 2019
UK
Does anyone have a Ohme Intelligent Wall Charger and if so has it worked fine with the Model 3 and charging overnight specifically with Octopus Go/Agile as looking to get one?

I have attached a picture of one for reference

Attachments

• ohme_box_front_small.png
    ohme_box_front_small.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 156
I have the commando version (the brainbox is the same)

It works fine most of the time, I've told it I'm on the Octopus Go tariff, so it'll mostly charge 00.30 until 04.30

Occasionally the car won't wake up (even from the App) then it doesn't charge..

Occasionally the car won't wake up (even from the App) then it doesn't charge..
That’s a Tesla issue. Same happens with Zappi as the car isn’t fully compliant with the charging standard regs.

Leaving sentry mode on is work around.

Ohme is good. Not 100% fan of the UI though. Can be a little frustrating to set the charge as you have to give it a % to aim for by a certain time. Say 80% by 7am. Sometimes you just want to be flexible and just charge as and when (say over weekend) as the prices may drop lower on the following day/Sunday. And this is where it falls short IMO.
Guys are on Twitter and are helpful should you need to contact them.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I have an Ohme cable too. It seems good, but not perfect and fails to do what it should some times. Last night it completely ignored my 'do not charge if tariff over 5.10p' rule. I suspect an error with the Octopus Agile rates file. However, its the first time its done that.

As said by CMc1, leaving it connected for multiple days does not work. It only charges for the first day. They are working on this and I've been asked to be a beta tester. Worth remembering that a lot depends on what tariff you are on. I got it specifically because I am on agile and manually programming the charge every day to make use of the cheapest rates would be a complete pain, but the night and following day rates are only published at 16.00hrs each day so there is no way for the unit to calculate further forward than that.

I am chatting to the CTO at the moment via an email exchange. They say they have a workaround in that they use you Tesla Login to Wake the car thus getting around the failure to charge issue with the handshake over the connector. I sometimes get the yellow light flashing 3 long, three short and a failure to charge error from the app. I have cleared all scheduled items from the Tesla. It failed again Friday night but worked overnight last night. I am on Bulb so can use a Tariff. the only difference between Friday night and Saturday night was that I logged out of the app and then back in again.

Long story short I have set the Ohme app to charge overnight until 7:00AM which is when my wife leaves for work (I have set it the same at weekends in case their is any confusion as to what constitutes a weekday/weekend night).

I will let you know what happens tonight. I hope the above data is of use to other Ohme clients. They say the app is NOT compatible with scheduled departure but are working on it. They are also working on a bulb energy integration.

HTH

So many dependencies to go wrong:

- The Ohme servers (servers go down, lose their network, get rebooted at the wrong time, get hacked)
- The internet connection of the Ohme cable to be told to start charging the car
- Tesla’s servers
- The internet connection of the car to be told to wake and then to start charging

None of this is needed with a dumb charger and a scheduled start charge time set in the car.

None of this is needed with a dumb charger and a scheduled start charge time set in the car.

I assume this Ohme can't be put into dumb mode, what smart chargers do you recommend that can be put into dumb mode?

I see Juicebox Pro 32 has a choice between smart and charge now so that is dumb mode I suspect.

Does Zappi have a dumb mode?

Last edited:
My Rolec is a champ in dumb mode.

Yes, it can just be left in "fast" mode and charge whenever you connect or whenever the car asks to receive a charge. But unless you want to coordinate with solar and/or battery it's an expensive option.

Thanks, I've just read that the Ohme has a Max Charge function that turns it into a dumb charger, so if the intelligent part is buggy I can try this dumb charger mode I guess as its a fair price installed

What is Max Charge?
Max charge will temporarily disable all Charge Schedules and will simply charge your car at full power until it is full. It basically turns your Ohme charger into a “dumb charger”. Use it when you need a quick and uninterrupted charge or when charging at public charge points where you pay per time.

We have had an Ohme Smart Cable for about three months (before Tesla's scheduled charging update) and have had very few issues. It works well with Octopus Agile, automatically optimising charge time according to unit pricing. The worst I can say about it is the app interface which has some annoyances. Every time I switch between or Model 3 and our Zoe we have to navigate through several screens and log intoTesla afresh. However the customer service is first rate.

I can generally echo the recommendations here for the Ohme wall charger as most of the time for the last month it's been fine. As others have said the interface is not the best and there seems to be an annoying hour or so lag in the connection between the charger and the car if you change the max charge limit from the car so that it won't set the charge to the new limit.

I've had a few blips where it just didn't charge one night, and over the last two nights, it has only charged at a max of 19A and so didn't charge to the desired limit.

Otherwise, it's a fairly discreet charger that just works (most of the time).