Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmmu 12V Battery Feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if the oem Li will work for us. I have an 2018 model 3 as well. I am going to need some 12 volt replacement pretty soon.

Thanks to all of you for doing the field testing on the Ohmuu
No, the OEM lithium ion battery will not work on the older vehicles that didn't come with one. Unlikely that Tesla will offer a retrofit. It's not plug and play.

Reactions: bobby g
I have decided that I do not want to deal with the cat and mouse game between Ohmuu and Tesla. I am asking for a refund and I am getting a Tesla OEM battery installed on Tuesday. I hope I can get my money back. I did pay with PayPal so maybe they can help. This battery is not truly compatible with the Model 3.
I purchased my battery during bf and never installed it. With all the back and forth I contacted them and asked for a full refund minus the restocking fee... They agreed to waive the restocking, however they will refund the cost and not the shipping of getting it to me. I paid shipping to send to them via FedEx. Since I bought w PayPal I file a claim for PayPal they they refunded me my shipping to send back to them. All in all I'm just out the $19 shipping cost when it first shipped to me.

Good luck to you guys.

• Informative
Reactions: trisk
Ohmuu is taking the battery back, I shipped it back this afternoon. Tesla mobile came by today and installed the new 12V battery. All the errors magically disappeared. I hope Ohmuu is able to eliminate this error permanently, but I won't have to deal with it.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
All my last cars were tuners, so I’m pretty used to being a beta rat for companies to gather real world data. Kinda makes me nostalgic for when I was always under the hood tinkering before going electric. Plus swapping out the 12v on this car is so incredibly easy.

Actually I’m shocked at how easy it is to work on anything in this car compared to other cars, especially suspension components. This definitely reminds me of the model kit cars I played around with as a kid rather than the ICE tuner rigs that even the simplest project would risk busting gloved knuckles… but that’s what happens when you throw out gas engines and transmissions lol

Anyway, I’m prepared to keep figuring it all out with Ohmuu until they get it right for everyone in the long run. My only hope is that the battery won’t need an update every time Tesla does one.

No, the built in BMS for example prevents over-charging, voltage spikes, shorts and limits cold temp charging in general... along the same lines as the far more sophiscitated BMS married to the car's main battery pack.

These LiFePO4 chemistry batteries do just fine in sub-freezeing temps. Been down to -20, -30F a few times and often leave the car unplugged sleeping for days in sub-freezing temps, zero issues with the battery itself... Teslas software updates and 12V and VCfront check routines vs a non-OEM chemistry 12V - are another story. See related threads.

Got tired of waiting and didn't see any updates here so I sent support a note just now ([email protected]). Within 30 mins I had a reply and an invite to be part of the beta solution they've worked out. They are shipping me a new battery and a module that is part of the fix. They sent me a link and password to place my "order" for the free kit. The conditions are that I have to agree to install within a day of receiving, I will report back any issues within 12 hours, and I have to return (using their label) the existing battery. Sounds like they have a fix and are just looking to field test it now!

Reactions: Skione65
Got tired of waiting and didn't see any updates here so I sent support a note just now ([email protected]). Within 30 mins I had a reply and an invite to be part of the beta solution they've worked out. They are shipping me a new battery and a module that is part of the fix. They sent me a link and password to place my "order" for the free kit. The conditions are that I have to agree to install within a day of receiving, I will report back any issues within 12 hours, and I have to return (using their label) the existing battery. Sounds like they have a fix and are just looking to field test it now!
Please post your results. It may take some time before know for sure.

Reactions: Skione65
I filled out a form to be a beta tester on March 4th but still haven't received a notification that I was accepted nor if the module and battery were sent. I'm patiently waiting for this to be resolved but it is a bit annoying not being able to update my car.

Wish I could be a beta tester. When I complained about the issue the support person asked if I received a beta invite. I let him know that I didn't, and then he just let me know I'll have to wait until they have a final solution. It was like he let me know about the beta test just to then let me know they wouldn't do anything right now. I have asked twice now about returning for a refund, but that has just been ignored. Not happy with Ohmmu support or the company at this point. I'm chalking it up to a $400 lesson and bad judgement on my part.

I filled out a form to be a beta tester on March 4th but still haven't received a notification that I was accepted nor if the module and battery were sent. I'm patiently waiting for this to be resolved but it is a bit annoying not being able to update my car.

I'm still waiting for them to send me the battery and module. They informed me that another batch is coming out from production this week and it should be fulfilled soon.

Reactions: Flybyglass
Another beta tester here, have sent some suggestive feedback on module packaging and the wires. Can confirm that the error has also gone away in my ‘18 M3P, for now. Back to LFP quality with the headlights and sound system. Still cracks me up how light the OHMMU battery feels, like an empty lunchbox compared to the “small yet heavy” cheap BJ’s one I pulled out.

Still waiting on feedback about the module and if it will require updates over time.

Question for other beta testers here — um, how many beta batteries did OHMMU send y’all when you got the package?

Another beta tester here, have sent some suggestive feedback on module packaging and the wires. Can confirm that the error has also gone away in my ‘18 M3P, for now. Back to LFP quality with the headlights and sound system. Still cracks me up how light the OHMMU battery feels, like an empty lunchbox compared to the “small yet heavy” cheap BJ’s one I pulled out.

Still waiting on feedback about the module and if it will require updates over time.

Question for other beta testers here — um, how many beta batteries did OHMMU send y’all when you got the package?
Just one....

• Informative
Reactions: Nightdown_fox
Can anyone tell me how these 12V batteries fail so soon? I see a lot of 12V replacements and its mind blowing how come this thing can fail within a year or two. My prius 12V lasted 8yrs before needed a replacement.