Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmmu Battery & 2020.28.6 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try shopping for lithium 12V solutions for ICE cars, which have been around forever. There just aren't that many available. They're also all super expensive. Tesla needs about 500k of them a year... and in increasing number every year. For them to want to make that switch, they'd need ideally 2 suppliers that can guarantee that volume, and it has to be worthwhile financially, offsetting some sort of operational cost.

It's probably more likely Tesla makes their own than sourcing it given their battery knowledge. But the fact that they haven't after all these years more likely suggests it's not worth it for them to pursue. That probably says a lot towards why they're still dropping in low cost 12Vs in.
If a lead-acid in an ICE lasts for 5-8yrs, then sure, lithium doesn't make sense for most ICE cars. But if the AGM in a Tesla only lasts for 2-3yrs, then lithium starts making a lot more sense.

I agree that Tesla making their own lithium 12V subsystem is probably the way to go rather than a 3rd party supplier(s).

so i got the update to 36.3.1 last night. had to do the HV reset sequence since ive the battery error so the update can install.

after i did that, the car installed the update (And so it wasnt a total loss, i just cleaned up the car whilst i was waiting :p)

side note: at around the 60% mark. the car will stop charging (if youve got it plugged in)and the HV contactor connects/disconnects and fans start to chatter and test).

after that, i usually leave sentry mode on. this time i left it off so the car could sleep after the charge completed and since it was a bigger update number.

woke up this AM and i did not see the battery error message. usually even if I did the hv reset, the battery error would come back within a few hours. the only difference is the update and me keeping sentry off this time around.

im at the office now. sentry is on. when i walk back to the car after i leave ill see if the error came back.

a minor side note:

i charge to 95%. this AM the car ignored that and charged to 99%. the charge limit was still set to 95%. I chalk this up to a random glitch, as ive seen others mention this happening to them (the car going past the charge limit).

the ohmmu battery was fully charged per usual and was charging whilst I was driving in this AM. Again ill follow up to see if the error came back...

Screenshot_20200911-055043_ANCEL Battery Monitor.jpg

Alright,

so this may be winner winner chicken dinner (or veggie dinner for you non meat eaters).

so got in the car and the error was not there. this is a really good sign since prior to this update and starting with 28.6, the error would show up in just a couple hours for me. so fingers crossed this update settled whatever issues betwixt the car and the battery.

here is something that may be of some interest:

so i can monitor the charge and voltage and with this update, i am noticing the car is charging the battery more constantly than prior updates.

what i mean is, on older firmware, i would not see the battery being charged AS OFTEN. the battery was ALWAYS at 13.x volts when i would get in model 3 in the morning and when i would leave the office. furthermore, when i randomly checked the app on the drive home for example, i would rarely see the battery charging whilst driving.

NOW with this update, this AM and on the way home, the battery is being charged constantly, just like a battery would in a combustion engine car (i.e. the alternator is always charging the battery).

im posting some example graphs of the charge graph on recent random days.

on 8-26 , 9-08, and 9-09 (in honor of TR-909 Day for those in the know :cool:) you can see the charge into the battery is a steady trickle. again, battery was always fully charged but if you see there is a noticeable "bump" in voltage on each of those days. this to me, means model 3 would throw a bunch of juice to the battery, ostensibly to maintain its proper voltage (or maybe the ohmmu's BMS was asking for this "bump" in voltage? *shrugs*).

each of these days i drove the car the same way - to the office from home and vice versa. I would leave my flat at close to the same time to within ~5 minutes and leave the office in that same ~5 minute time frame. same route. sentry was on all the time and cabin overheat protection is on (but its not been hot enough in model 3's cabin since it lives in garages all the time). i also had my foot in the tank often! :p

Screenshot_20200911-154715_ANCEL Battery Monitor.jpg

Screenshot_20200911-154745_ANCEL Battery Monitor.jpg

Screenshot_20200911-154810_ANCEL Battery Monitor.jpg

NOW....

with this latest 36.3.1 update model 3 got last night, this is the only day ive had to test it, and from the moment i got in the car to when i stopped, the car was charging constantly. same for when I left the office for home, the app showed the car was charging a higher, steady constant rate.

Screenshot_20200911-152504_ANCEL Battery Monitor.jpg

Screenshot_20200911-154017_ANCEL Battery Monitor.jpg

Screenshot_20200911-153837_ANCEL Battery Monitor.jpg

Screenshot_20200911-153510_ANCEL Battery Monitor.jpg

the 9-11 graphs show when i started driving, when i got to the office, when i left the office, when i got home, all in that order.

again, model 3 was constantly charging the entire time, whereas before it would be a lower steady trickle. The app i use will "animate" when the battery is being charged and it will stop animating when its not - this is how i know when the battery is and is not charging.

so this is my armchair quarterback hunch on what's different and why i have not seen the error. it could have some meaning somewhere, or i could just be talking pants...:confused:

im leaving to go see a dame later so let's see if my theory holds water... and hopefully the battery error has NOT come back...

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Alright,

so this may be winner winner chicken dinner (or veggie dinner for you non meat eaters).

so got in the car and the error was not there. this is a really good sign since prior to this update and starting with 28.6, the error would show up in just a couple hours for me. so fingers crossed this update settled whatever issues betwixt the car and the battery.

here is something that may be of some interest:

so i can monitor the charge and voltage and with this update, i am noticing the car is charging the battery more constantly than prior updates.

what i mean is, on older firmware, i would not see the battery being charged AS OFTEN. the battery was ALWAYS at 13.x volts when i would get in model 3 in the morning and when i would leave the office. furthermore, when i randomly checked the app on the drive home for example, i would rarely see the battery charging whilst driving.

NOW with this update, this AM and on the way home, the battery is being charged constantly, just like a battery would in a combustion engine car (i.e. the alternator is always charging the battery).

im posting some example graphs of the charge graph on recent random days.

on 8-26 , 9-08, and 9-09 (in honor of TR-909 Day for those in the know :cool:) you can see the charge into the battery is a steady trickle. again, battery was always fully charged but if you see there is a noticeable "bump" in voltage on each of those days. this to me, means model 3 would throw a bunch of juice to the battery, ostensibly to maintain its proper voltage (or maybe the ohmmu's BMS was asking for this "bump" in voltage? *shrugs*).

each of these days i drove the car the same way - to the office from home and vice versa. I would leave my flat at close to the same time to within ~5 minutes and leave the office in that same ~5 minute time frame. same route. sentry was on all the time and cabin overheat protection is on (but its not been hot enough in model 3's cabin since it lives in garages all the time). i also had my foot in the tank often! :p

View attachment 587247
View attachment 587248
View attachment 587249

NOW....

with this latest 36.3.1 update model 3 got last night, this is the only day ive had to test it, and from the moment i got in the car to when i stopped, the car was charging constantly. same for when I left the office for home, the app showed the car was charging a higher, steady constant rate.

View attachment 587251
View attachment 587252
View attachment 587253
View attachment 587255

the 9-11 graphs show when i started driving, when i got to the office, when i left the office, when i got home, all in that order.

again, model 3 was constantly charging the entire time, whereas before it would be a lower steady trickle. The app i use will "animate" when the battery is being charged and it will stop animating when its not - this is how i know when the battery is and is not charging.

so this is my armchair quarterback hunch on what's different and why i have not seen the error. it could have some meaning somewhere, or i could just be talking pants...:confused:

im leaving to go see a dame later so let's see if my theory holds water... and hopefully the battery error has NOT come back...
Awesome info, would be nice if others posted if the error went away or not. I’ve updated to 2020.36.10 and thankfully still no error code. The last time I checked my Ohmmu the voltage was 13.68 and that was in April, a year of owning it, pretty high voltage so maybe that’s why I never got the error.

Fred

Last edited:
Reactions: lUtriaNt
well im on 36.10 and prior to this update i had that for over a week and the error has not come back. i made a post earlier in this thread (unscientific) that looks like model 3 is charging differently on these last two updates, so in my non expert opinion something in the charging system was changed.

could the error come back? soitenly!, as curly would say, but for now no error.

ohmmu are working on a new design for the battery that will stop this false flag error, so this issue will be moot soon. :)

updates:

UPDATE

Production began on 9/14 for a new rev2 battery for the Model 3 vehicles. Expected date for us to begin shipping these units is the week starting October 12th. On October 12th (appx) we will send out another mass email to all Ohmmu customers with instructions for processing an exchange of your affected battery.

The process will be 2-fold,

1. Local customers can bring to our shop in Tempe and get swapped (will take 10-15min)

2. Non-local customers fill out a request form (will be made available when we are ready to start processing/shipping), a rev.2 battery will be shipped along with a shipping label to send your existing battery back to us. You will use the same packaging and apply the included label to the box and return to us via any FedEx office (just drop it off).

In the meantime, your vehicles are fine and the alert is only an alert, it doesn't actually have a functional affect other than preventing software updates.

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding in this time. As always any ideas, questions, concerns, comments please don't hesitate to reach out to us and let us know! It has been very helpful for us to know what is going on with as many vehicles as possible, it can get overwhelming keeping up but we are doing our best as a team here!

Hi Guys, I just wanted to chime in. I'm on the new update 2020.36.10 with Ohmmu.

I did get a message showing that the battery needs to be replaced but the great news is it no longer shows the repeated annoying message on the left where it use to always reside. To me, this is manageable. The benefits that I get from Ohmmu both from a daily driving perspective and racing, outweigh this minor issue. It's just a bummer Ohmmu has to recall a battery that is perfectly fine. It may just be that with updates this could go away entirely.

Anyways, for now, I'm content with the current software update. If anything changes, I'll report back!

Attachments

• IMG_6821.jpg
    IMG_6821.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6820.jpg
    IMG_6820.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 73
updates.

battery is ready.

Rev. 2 NOW ready for Model 3 owners

On August 1st we started seeing Tesla roll-out the latest software update to our vehicles, 2020.28.6, and in this update process it appears likely that you may receive an erroneous 12V battery alert on your Model 3 vehicle.

Due to this software update which changed the way Tesla Model 3 identifies "failing" 12v batteries Ohmmu has released a new revision of the Model 3 battery. This new battery looks the same and fits the vehicle in the same way but internally it is very different. The rev2 battery has been thoroughly tested for compatibility with the latest software updates from Tesla.

To provide the best to all of our existing customers we are offering the option to exchange your existing rev.1 Ohmmu Model 3 battery for a rev.2, if you ordered and received your Ohmmu Model 3 battery BEFORE October 1st, 2020, you have rev.1 and this offer is for you.

If you have a rev. 1 battery but have not experienced any erroneous alerts, you don't need to swap to rev. 2; please allow those experiencing the error to get their batteries updated first.

The process for swapping your battery for rev. 2 is simple, fill out our form then we will ship you a rev. 2 battery including a return shipping label in the box. Upon receipt make the swap, please send us back the battery and the extra terminal lugs if you don't need them using our included return label with FedEx. You can either drop the labeled box off at nearest FedEx office/dropoff or schedule a pickup with FedEx.

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding in this time. As always any ideas, questions, concerns, comments please don't hesitate to reach out to us and let us know! It has been very helpful for us to know what is going on with as many vehicles as possible, it can get overwhelming keeping up but we are doing our best as a team here!

Reactions: Matsayz and Ravire