Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ok, Winter Is Here - I Want To Leave the Heat On When I Run Into The Store!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of my previous cars (BMW, MB, Audi) have had a feature that allows the heat or AC to stay on for several minutes after I leave the car to run into a store or whatever. Based on my Googling Tesla does not offer this feature. Since we're a pretty smart bunch, I'm sure someone has come up with a workaround. I saw a post about leaving the door slightly ajar but I'm not comfortable doing that. Any other suggestions? Any thoughts one why Tesla would ignore what should be a pretty easy feature to implement?

I always just pull up the phone app as I'm walking into the store and turn climate back on.

Do you ever have a problem where you turn it on via the app and it turns itself off after about 2 seconds? I usually have to turn it on twice.

Although both suggestions work, it's really strange that one of the most technologically advanced cars in the world doesn't have such a feature.

Do you ever have a problem where you turn it on via the app and it turns itself off after about 2 seconds? I usually have to turn it on twice.
I have seen the app not recognize that the climate is on. I've turned it on and had to change displays on the app (for example to Charge, then back) before it showed the climate actually on.

I use the app to turn it back on too... but while I'm at it, have another request: I wish the time the HVAC stays on could be adjusted, or at least set up to stay on longer when the car is plugged in. Often I turn on at home before I go out, but it will timeout after, what is it: 20 or 30 minutes and I have to remember to turn it back on again.

All of my previous cars (BMW, MB, Audi) have had a feature that allows the heat or AC to stay on for several minutes after I leave the car to run into a store or whatever. Based on my Googling Tesla does not offer this feature. Since we're a pretty smart bunch, I'm sure someone has come up with a workaround. I saw a post about leaving the door slightly ajar but I'm not comfortable doing that. Any other suggestions? Any thoughts one why Tesla would ignore what should be a pretty easy feature to implement?

If you have the 8.0 firmware on your car just buckle the front passengers seat belt before you get out and the A/C should stay on for up to 30 minutes. (You could even use a seat belt extension device so you don't have to reach over to get the actual seat belt.)

Going to try that tomorrow!

I use this method to get my mail. The boxes are on the side of a rural road. I hated getting out, walking across the street and then having the car go dark whle on the side of the road. I want the headlights, tail lights, and turn signal to remain on. The brake method works just fine. I don't know how long the car will stay this way; the 'shift to neutral mode' will last until the battery dies!

You do have to press firmly - just like when engaging hill hold. The car should make the "da-dump, da-dump" error/warning sound. The handles will auto-retract (usually just about the time I get the mail and approach the car), but I don't know for sure if it auto-locks. You should experiment with that, or use the single click on the top of the remote to ensure the car is locked.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo