Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oktane got banned - what did I miss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Must be one of those irregular verbs:

I'm learning,
You're making progress,
He's a fanboi.

Everyone is comfortable with progress so long as progress makes them feel comfortable.

I don't think it is that simple.

Progress and views are tested over time and sometimes we find they were good or bad, quite independent of how we felt of them at the time. Some progress we are comfortable with and yet it ends up being a terrible mistake - and vice-versa. :)

I don't think it is that simple.

Progress and views are tested over time and sometimes we find they were good or bad, quite independent of how we felt of them at the time. Some progress we are comfortable with and yet it ends up being a terrible mistake - and vice-versa. :)

The problem with the "tested over time" approach is that it biases toward the status quo.

In the case of cars, it concludes in favour of industry norms.

In that light, you are compelled to assess Tesla's actions as a "terrible mistake" because they do not comply with the average. And probably won't for a good while yet.

The problem with the "tested over time" approach is that it biases toward the status quo.

In the case of cars, it concludes in favour of industry norms.

In that light, you are compelled to assess Tesla's actions as a "terrible mistake" because they do not comply with the average. And probably won't for a good while yet.

That's not what I meant. I meant we will know - to some extent at least - over time what disruptions worked and what did not. I definitely like to reflect on past disruptions and how I felt about them at the time. I don't think what you are saying applies to me, at least.

I can see many disruptions I wasn't comfortable with that I now see as helpful, while on the other hand seeing disruptions I was rooting for that did not prevail - and good that they didn't. And everything in-between. Hindsight is 20:20.

What I don't agree with is the implied thinking that because Tesla is disruptive, everything they do must automatically be necessary and good for said disruption.

I think one can be disruptive and still be prone to errors - so it is useful that those potential errors are called out or at least challenged, so they can be looked at. Feedback is good.

It is both - not either/or. But the gray zone tilts toward celebration at least a bit.

By the way, one very good way of looking at this perception difference is the welcome post.

Someone rolls into TMC with 1 post to their name, all excited about Tesla and their new car (posting maybe something like this: "Car market literally down to 2 cars today")... Maybe they post even downright misinformation, they are new after all so it is understandable they don't know better...

In what spirit do you welcome them?

Do you welcome them as friends to a party, ignoring politely their gibberish because this is not the time or the place, or do you dive into the subject matter like with any thread...

I see most responses as valid depending on your PoV for the purpose of a place like this. Some compromise in-between is probably what I'd go for.

In what spirit do you welcome them?

Do you welcome them as friends to a party, ignoring politely their gibberish because this is not the time or the place, or do you dive into the subject matter like with any thread...
therein lies the biggest issue with forums like this. in a social situation if you encounter a boor, a fool or a severely opinionated person you excuse yourself from the conversation and move on, on boards like this people tend to challenge those types with their own booring,foolish heavily opinionated comments.

Reactions: calisnow
therein lies the biggest issue with forums like this. in a social situation if you encounter a boor, a fool or a severely opinionated person you excuse yourself from the conversation and move on, on boards like this people tend to challenge those types with their own booring,foolish heavily opinionated comments.

That's just the thing. What exactly IS this social situation we're in? It isn't as easily identified as many formal or traditional informal functions.

Is this a social gathering of Tesla fans? Or is this, for example, a special interest group for exchanging Tesla related information?

These extremes would probably require different behavior...

That's just the thing. What exactly IS this social situation we're in? It isn't as easily identified as many formal or traditional informal functions.

Is this a social gathering of Tesla fans? Or is this, for example, a special interest group for exchanging Tesla related information?

These extremes would probably require different behavior...
as the car has gone more mainstream the site has evolved from the geeky techie early enthusiasts for whom elon is like a deity to more average people who bought into the concept to those who just bought a car. some are wide eyed evangelicals while others are more grounded about their purchase.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
as the car has gone more mainstream the site has evolved from the geeky techie early enthusiasts for whom elon is like a deity to more average people who bought into the concept to those who just bought a car. some are wide eyed evangelicals while others are more grounded about their purchase.
It was a lot more fun when it was mostly early enthusiasts, and people cared more about Tesla's cars and mission than TSLA stock.

Reactions: jeffro01
IMG_0765.PNG

anticitizen - Informative? You found "gfy" Informative? -:)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: EinSV
Okey dokey smokey - wake up this morning and see that somebody dropped the ban hammer on @oktane. Did I miss some delicious cat fight in the night? As much as I disagreed with him, there is definitely somebody on this forum who deserved the hit quite a bit more.

View attachment 248747

I'm baaack.... after a mandatory ban. The reasons for the ban are not entirely clear, other than my posts amounted to "snippiness".

@calisnow - I appreciate the support and flattered that someone would care enough about me to start a thread, thanks for that.

I see the other members have also returned, music to my ears. Hope I didn't miss much. Is autopilot working yet?