Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old Cars vs New Cars -- Things I'll Miss / Things That Could Be Improved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Things I'll miss from old cars:
1. Shifting gears with a manual transmission.
2. Push starting manual transmission cars when they have dead batteries.
3. Spare tires.
4. Manual mechanical locks.
5. Having my window down, elbow on the bottom of window opening, hand on the top of window opening. (tall waistline on most new cars makes this not work anymore)
6. Swapping out car stereos.
7. The lack of buffeting with window down. (it's a puzzle trying to get the right combination of windows at different levels to counteract the buffeting on most newer cars)

Some of these are addressable in newer cars, if manufacturers would think about them. Some thoughts on improvements:

1. Don't need a transmission with electrics, but maybe a performance oriented model some day could bring back 2 or 3 gears with manual shifts.
2. On an EV, maybe have a special charge mode where the 12v battery can get a boost from the traction battery to achieve power up and limited operation? Another limp mode, if you will?
3. Start putting spare tires in again. Make it an option, if necessary. Look, I don't miss not having a spare tire...yet. But the first time I get a blowout that can't be fixed with tire goo, I'll be missing it something fierce.
4. I don't have a solution for this, other than integrating a mechanical lock back into maybe just the driver door. I just know some day I'll be locked out with the keyless entry not working and will be screwed.
5. No suggestion.
6. No suggestion.
7. Maybe have something integrated in with the power folding mirrors that can adjust the airflow to eliminate buffeting under all/most/more scenarios.

Feel free to share your own. I love newer cars and EVs, but I can't help but miss a few things, and thought it would be fun to think about those things and if there are suitable solutions or substitutes.

Of all that you mention I miss all of the seven however #2 drives me crazy ....I regret that I cannot put the car on neutral and move it somewhere safe...or even pull the car out of garage so towing truck can tow the car easily:mad:

This is exactly what I told my wife. I want the most advanced EV (Tesla) AND the most simple ICE with a manual transmission.

Automatic transmissions drive me crazy. Just wondering about whether that ICE needs a carburetor or fuel injection....