Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG! My roof window has a crack!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2FED03C1-6A3A-4ADE-90E7-59B000FADA1A.jpeg
I heard something strike the roof of my car while driving on the freeway. I didn’t notice anything until the crack appeared dead center! :mad: It’s like a foot long! Wonder how much this will cost to fix? :( Maybe insurance will pay for it, I hope.

What a bummer. Mile 86 and day 4 I got a crack in the windshield. Well over two decades behind the wheel and NEVER had a rock chip let alone a crack! In any event, insurance involved... price is ~$1500 parts and labor. :eek:

Will be following your progress on this thread. Good luck and sorry to hear!

This thread has got me worried. Live in AZ and seem to have a lot of rocks in the road. Had to replace our windshield a couple of times in our ICE car.

If any rock hits the roof, is it going to crack the glass just like the windshield? This could be annoying ongoing concern.

Reactions: Timmy T.
I also experienced a crack on my front windshield, probably caused by a tiny rock. It's a pretty large crack, too. I called Tesla a few minutes ago and was quoted at $959.96 for a replacement.

I could probably go through my insurance for this (GEICO), but then I'd still have to pay a $500 deductible and worry about my insurance cost going up... :(

The OP's glass roof is clearly not a defect in glass or manufacturing but a strike by something that hit it. You can tell where the rock hit it and chipped it resulting in the spreading crack. The stress cracks that were seen in some cars early on have a different pattern.

This was one of the reasons I'm not a fan of glass roofs as nice as they may be from the inside looking out. I was actually hoping for a pano roof on the Model 3 which would give me the open sunroof I wanted and also minimize size of the the glass thinking it would be less expensive to replace from road stones. But decided I couldn't wait any longer and at least waited long enough for the AWD. Fingers crossed the road debris out here isn't attracted to my new car :rolleyes:. Had one windshield replaced and another one with a crack that was repaired but still visible. I don't believe there is anything on the market right now that will effectively protect your glass from chips.

What a bummer. Mile 86 and day 4 I got a crack in the windshield. Well over two decades behind the wheel and NEVER had a rock chip let alone a crack! In any event, insurance involved... price is ~$1500 parts and labor. :eek:

Will be following your progress on this thread. Good luck and sorry to hear!
I got a chip hit the windshield as well. I got it repaired for $50.. but was told by tesla that the windshield was $530 for the part so a little surprised by your figure.

I am very suspicious on the quality of the windshield by the way.

On a separate note I had the spontaneous crack on the pano roof which was replaced for free.

OP.. a piece of advice.. I would avoid giving too much detail to tesla as to the conditions that were in place when this happened.

Bottom line there is a known defect with the pano roof and I am personally not 100 % convinced that the defect has nothing to do with what happened to you.

I would assume the extra tension on the pano roof could make it more vulnerable.

My S all glass roof has taken several strikes without issue or chipping. Knock on wood... Might've just been bad luck unless 3 roof glass is somehow thinner.
This is a vague recollection but as discussed.. I had a small crack on my windshield which was repaired (rock chip) and I had the spontaneous crack on my pano roof (while parked)..

I vaguely recollect that I was told by the windshield repair guy that the windshield was pretty thin. It’s a vague recollection though.