Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG - Wake Times from app are SOOOOHHHOOO SLOW.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Owned a S for 3 years. I could pop open the app, hit the HVAC and be done. < 10 seconds.

For both my 3 and my wife's.. open app. Mow the lawn, take a shower. Now you can set the HVAC.

What a freaking waste of time, hassle, and annoyance. This worked just fine in the S...

what's going on here?! I care WAY more about usability than any 'phantom drain'...

thanks.

I just opened the App for our Model 3, which is about 10 mile away right now, and it took about 20 seconds. I don't remember it being particularly slow when it's in our garage, but I'll check.

FWIW, our Model X often takes a while to connect as well.

Talked to the service center and its supposed to be better in firmware 52.X whenever that is released.

The service center told me "the engineers tried to maximize sleep and now the car sleeps too deeply. They are aware and actively working on it, and we are told it is going to be fixed by firmware 52.x but we dont know when that will release".

@jjrandorin is correct they are working on the issue so should be resolved soon.

The reason why this wasn't the case in the OP's MS is because he most likely had MCU1 which worked differently and had an energy management mode to allow users to "choose" to deep sleep or stay always connected. This old MCU also allowed for the reboot of the screens in the MS independently. The new MCU2 does not allow for this and always deep sleeps which makes "getting in and going" sometimes problematic as you're likely to get the "systems powering up" message more often, and of course the App has to "wake" the car always. Also when rebooting on MS or MX it reboots both screens.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Owned a S for 3 years. I could pop open the app, hit the HVAC and be done. < 10 seconds.

For both my 3 and my wife's.. open app. Mow the lawn, take a shower. Now you can set the HVAC.

What a freaking waste of time, hassle, and annoyance. This worked just fine in the S...

what's going on here?! I care WAY more about usability than any 'phantom drain'...

thanks.
I’ve seen some posts on this but haven’t experienced. I throw my phone in handbag without having opened app, walk downstairs, open garage door, remove charging cable (pushing release on handle) if plugged in, hop in and go. In actual measurable time how long does it take to wake up?

I recently installed the Tasker for Tesla plugin (great if you're already using Tasker). I now have a widget on my phone that starts the heat. I just push the button and the app worries about waking up the car and turning on the A/C. Takes about 5 seconds of my time (pull phone from pocket, turn on, push icon, turnoff, back in pocket). https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crazydog.teslatasker

• Informative
Reactions: Fully Charged
@Dana1, this is talking about waking the car remotely to start the HVAC, adjust the charge level, or some other function over the car's cellular connection. This is not regarding the "phone as key" function to unlock and start your car as you walk up to it and get in the car.

@SabrToothSqrl, if the car is in your garage or you are otherwise close enough that the Phone Key is Connected, but you're waiting for the Internet/cellular connection to wake up, simply unlock then re-lock the car doors. This a couple seconds of waiting is generally enough to wake my Model 3 out of whatever deep sleep state it gets into and let me activate the HVAC system. Obviously, this doesn't work in all situations, but it does allow me to reliably wake the Model 3 in the morning when parked at home.

• Informative
I suspect (but dont know) that the "time to wake up" will be inversely proportional to the "vampire drain while sleep" situation.

In my car, that sometimes does not wake up after accessing the app for 1 to 2 times (repeatedly accessing the app will finally wake it up), I get basically 1-2 miles a day lost in my garage per 24 hours. Usually 1 mile, but sometimes 2. I have not lost 3 miles in my garage in any 24 hour period since getting the car.

I also dont have any third party apps running at all, so am reporting this from the tesla app, not from stats, or teslafi. My car seems to sleep very deeply. I suspect that less deep sleep will increase my drain a bit, but I dont know this for a fact. The service center told me the issue was the cars "sleeping too deeply" and that is what would be corrected.

@Dana1, this is talking about waking the car remotely to start the HVAC, adjust the charge level, or some other function over the car's cellular connection. This is not regarding the "phone as key" function to unlock and start your car as you walk up to it and get in the car.

Not quite sure about that. The phone as key - walk to car, get in, start without any delays. I would assume the car wakes from whatever deep sleep before I could actually drive it. So if it wakes up so quickly with the phone as key operation (via Bluetooth), why exactly can it not do the same for the preheating app (via LTE connection)? I understand the concept of over-the-net delays, but this seems awfully long. Furthermore, I can hear the car powering up in the garage long before the phone app shows the car "awake". My only explanation is that all delays are due to security implementations on the to / from traffic to Tesla server rather than anything related to the car itself.