Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG - Wake Times from app are SOOOOHHHOOO SLOW.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why they don't simply change the app behavior? Let me launch the app without waking the car. Let me choose what commands to send, THEN wake the car and send it the commands. If it fails after say one minute, then notify me with a notification on my phone. I don't get why I have to wait for the car to awaken before I can select what commands I want to send it via the app.

I don't understand why they don't simply change the app behavior? Let me launch the app without waking the car. Let me choose what commands to send, THEN wake the car and send it the commands. If it fails after say one minute, then notify me with a notification on my phone. I don't get why I have to wait for the car to awaken before I can select what commands I want to send it via the app.
That is how OnStar works.

Yup, agree with @SabrToothSqrl that anything beyond 5 seconds or so is a needed fix. It surprises me that as automation and computers have invaded vehicles, they’ve become slower to get moving. I understand the process of booting a computer and how long that can take with slow processors, bloatware, and so on (you can tell I have owned Windows-based computers in the past), but in a special-purpose vehicle application, these should not be issues. In my case, the response is so slow I contemplate just getting into my 1964 Thunderbird, insert key, start vehicle immediately, and drive off while my phone is still trying to connect to the Model 3. I contemplate that, but typically don’t actually do that as I prefer to grouse about connect times for the Model 3 yet drive it anyway.

I agree - at the very least, let me open the app and start making adjustments while the car is waking in the background. Then send the commands to the car when it is fully awake.

My car has been at full charge for a while and sitting on the charger, opened the app for the first time today and it took 35 seconds to wake.

Reactions: Dave EV and fiatlux
Anything longer than 5 is just wrong.
Or, at least, like my 2013 S. Let ME choose power drain or slow wake time. I’d always pick faster wake.

For normal daily usage I would agree.
But if I was going to be away for a week I'd rather reduce the battery drain and have to take an extra minute when I wanted to use the app.

Like everything else...let the user pick with a setting

Reactions: APotatoGod
I recently installed the Tasker for Tesla plugin (great if you're already using Tasker). I now have a widget on my phone that starts the heat. I just push the button and the app worries about waking up the car and turning on the A/C. Takes about 5 seconds of my time (pull phone from pocket, turn on, push icon, turnoff, back in pocket). https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crazydog.teslatasker

Neat. I'm using 'Stats' and had to work with the developer back/forth a few times to get scheduled HVAC to work reliably (it does now). He had to set it to retry a few times at each occurrence. because the car wouldn't wake up fast enough.

Now that it works. I'm happy w/Stats. Scheduled HVAC is something Tesla should have had day 1....

Also, I have an iphone, so I don't think google store is going to work.. ;)

‎Stats: For Tesla Model S/X/3

Reactions: APotatoGod
Model 3 owner for last 6 weeks. Strong WiFi for phone and car, yet many times the app will not connect to the car. I can wait for the new software load, but agree with many owners that phantom drain is undesirable as well. Maybe there could be a user option for deep sleep or light sleep.

Reactions: fiatlux
My Model S app wakeup is very fast - under 5 seconds, whether on LTE or WiFi. In the same garage my M3P takes at least 30 seconds to boot up - sometimes it never wakes up until I open the car door. The only time it is fast is when its connected to power, but even this it still takes about 10 seconds to boot. This really is unacceptable app service availability and is probably the only major issue I have with the car (well, my M3P sets a high bar). The Model S has a "pilot-light" option for the network electronics so it can boot faster at the expense of extra battery drain. This option is much needed on the Model 3. Seams to me a software update could remedy this.